Khaseem Greene May Be Our 1St Rd Pick

Hardyfalcon

If Okafor is not there, we have to grab Kawann Short if he is.

And Honestly, Short may need to be the pick even if Okafor is there. Run stuffer and capable of getting pressure up the middle.

I'd prefer a trade down if we pursue Short. Heck, he might even be there by our 2nd rounder if he slips, but I'm thinking he improves his stock with how he did in the Senior Bowl and a solid combine, he's pretty dang strong.

Prospect: Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers
Height: 6’1″
Weight: 230
Grade: 6.5 (Grading Scale)
[More...]
Scouting Report:
Athleticism:
+ Former safety, has good top-end speed.
+ Does appear to strain himself while running, but still high-end shows burst and acceleration
- Not a good lateral mover, tends to let his heels "click" rather than shuffle.
+ Not great at using his lower body to gain leverage.
Run Defense:
+ Very instinctive, evident film study based on how he reads and reacts to runs.
+ Keeps his eyes in the backfield and his hands from getting engaged with lineman.
+ Sifts through trash to find the ball carries
+ Big hitter when given the opportunity
- Not overwhelmingly powerful; he is not one to blow up fullbacks and guards to to open things up for other players.
- Makes a lot of tackles far beyond the line of scrimmage.
- Can be moved around by guards on the second level.
Coverage:
- Rarely asked to play in man coverage against backs
+ Very good in play-recognition, constantly reading and reacting to quarterback's eyes.
+ Can run with tight ends in the seam
- Not very fluid in lateral movement; feet tend to "click" rather than shuffle.
- Loses his man in coverage because he is looking at the quarterback's eyes .
+ Willing to lay the big hit over the middle.
Blitz:
+ His best trait, terrific closing speed
+ Patient in waiting for gaps to shoot, then explodes at the opportune time.
+ Dips under blockers.
+ Big hitter
+ 5.5 sacks on the season
Intangibles:
+ Evidence of film study in his play
+ No off-field incidents
- Sometimes shows inconsistent effort

Uhh, no. Guy's biggest attribute is his speed, which is reduced by the added weight. Yeah, he could probably add 5 more pounds, but the difference between that and his actual weight does not constitute him as being "light". I don't know where people get the notion that LBs have to be a certain size to be productive. As for him not being able to shed blockers..go watch his play from 2011 compared to 2012. The defensive line in front of him did a bad job creating a push and keeping lineman from getting to him. Go ask any productive LB and ask them what a key component to their success is. And even WITH that, he was still an outstanding player.

To those who say he is a bad tackler..you do realize he was one of the surer tacklers on that Georgia defense, outside of Jarvis Jones. Only problem he's had is over pursuing, which is definitely coachable. Over-hyped and Alec Ogletree don't belong in the same sentence. Guy is a legit talent.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to be more consistent filling against the run and tackling with better pad level. Leaner than ideal frame. He'll need to show greater strength in disengaging from blockers. Off-field concern following a four-game suspension in 2012, reportedly for violating Georgia's substance-abuse policy.

Let me make this clear. I watched him play. I didn't say he was a bad player or anything but the dude can add weight and still keep his speed. Why you act as though no football players have done that before? He can't shed blocks but he will learn. The line wasn't the issue he just couldn't shed blocks point black. You are going to have too play through traffic at times. He got washed out in the Bama game a few times. He is a premier talent but he could stand too get a little stouter.

The line wasn't the problem? You kidding me? And you say you watched his games? Yeah, there are times when he struggles against power run games, but he isn't predicated on being a physical freak. As for him gaining weight, he absolutely could gain some size and still keep his speed, but a 5 pound difference is negligible and hardly constitutes him as "light".

"

But he is long and strong enough that he can reach out and slow down runners or bring them down from behind. When he has the opportunity to square up, he will almost always wrap up and bring down the ball-carrier.

Ogletree is also capable of delivering a big hit, as he did multiple times over the three games I scouted him. He lowers his shoulder on the move and is able to cleanly drive through the ball-carrier."

Anyway, I don't even see him as a MLB in a 4-3 scheme, to where he would need to shed blocks consistently. He's a MUCH more intriguing prospect at OLB with his speed and ability to drop into coverage.

Ogletree is not like Urlacher at all - he is not near as stout as Urlacher and O is not a great tackler - I've said it before and will say it again - Ogletree is over-hyped. And I'm a Dawg.

And, as a Dawg fan, you know how many players from UGA blossom into great players in the pros, right?rolleyes.gif

The line wasn't the problem? You kidding me? And you say you watched his games? Yeah, there are times when he struggles against power run games, but he isn't predicated on being a physical freak. As for him gaining weight, he absolutely could gain some size and still keep his speed, but a 5 pound difference is negligible and hardly constitutes him as "light".

"

But he is long and strong enough that he can reach out and slow down runners or bring them down from behind. When he has the opportunity to square up, he will almost always wrap up and bring down the ball-carrier.

Ogletree is also capable of delivering a big hit, as he did multiple times over the three games I scouted him. He lowers his shoulder on the move and is able to cleanly drive through the ball-carrier."

Anyway, I don't even see him as a MLB in a 4-3 scheme, to where he would need to shed blocks consistently. He's a MUCH more intriguing prospect at OLB with his speed and ability to drop into coverage.

Obviously you didn't watch his games. You act as though i'm the only person saying this. Most draft analysis sites say the same freaking thing.

With our front seven obviously needing to be improved, Greene is the athletic LB that can free up weatherspoon to be on blitzes and not always be in coverage.

He was projected by most to be 2nd round but after a great week at the senior bowl and after the combine he will solidify his stock as a 1st round pick. Even Mayock said he's a 1st round pick now.

We're drafting the mayor of Atlanta????

He won't go in the first round. Too many other guys will put up crazy numbers in the combine and he's rated as a mid to late second rounder right now. And because of his low pad level, they'll ignore that plenty of other great LBs are 6'1 and pass on him for bigger guys.

His biggest attributes are his instincts, his closing speed, and his ability to cover (especially zone). Going against mobile QBs using the read option...that's huge.

No way we would take green over Arthur brown who we have met with and is a much better and polished player and actually worth a 1st round pick. One thing we know about TD is he likes players with high motors jenkins from Georgia is def not one of those guys

Greene is better than Brown and has much higher upside. I do like Brown, but Greene is better at rushing the passer and has better instincts all around. I'd say Brown might be a shade better in the run game, but not by much. Since we met with him, it IS a lot more likely though.

Edited by Falcan Moore