An Interesting Point Made This Morning On Nfln

birdz4i

they were talking about the patriots dynasty of last decade. the point was made that the pats have not been the same since their early run because they fail to have enough play makers on d. during their dynasty, they had bruschi, malloy, samuel, seau, seymour etc etc. they had different guys that could make plays to seal games and that they have not been the same since they have gone to more of a patchwork defense relying on the offense to carry them. we are getting there, like the pats now, but we are not winning championships. kind of feels like where we are minus the post season success, we have a few play makers and with a few more we might do what we need to do and get a dynasty going.

just saying

they were talking about the patriots dynasty of last decade. the point was made that the pats have not been the same since their early run because they fail to have enough play makers on d. during their dynasty, they had bruschi, malloy, samuel, seau, seymour etc etc. they had different guys that could make plays to seal games and that they have not been the same since they have gone to more of a patchwork defense relying on the offense to carry them. we are getting there, like the pats now, but we are not winning championships. kind of feels like where we are minus the post season success, we have a few play makers and with a few more we might do what we need to do and get a dynasty going.

just saying

this is a good point - you need multiple stars on defense as well as offense to win it all. Look at the Giants, look at the Ravens, the Niners.

Falcons are an offensive team only - we must have more weapons/threats on defense to win a Superbowl - very hard(not impossible) to win a SB with only 1 side being good.

this is a good point - you need multiple stars on defense as well as offense to win it all. Look at the Giants, look at the Ravens, the Niners.

Falcons are an offensive team only - we must have more weapons/threats on defense to win a Superbowl - very hard(not impossible) to win a SB with only 1 side being good.

yep, we get a few more pieces on defense and get some replacements for tg n turner and we could be set for a few years and just start taking bpa s in the draft.

Guest Negatorris

Yup. Spoon and Asante aren't enough. They need some playmakers to compliment them. Not a bunch of mediocre players to support them. When this changes(which I think will be soon), we will make a Superbowl no doubt.

Yup. Spoon and Asante aren't enough. They need some playmakers to compliment them. Not a bunch of mediocre players to support them. When this changes(which I think will be soon), we will make a Superbowl no doubt.

Agree how about we start by upgrading our Strong Safety?

Edited by delaigle

This is how I feel about our defense. We have some great players all over the D, but one or two glaring holes that teams constantly attack, such as our right cornerback. Nonethless, my take...

Keepers on Defense:

Abe,

Babs, Peters, Walker

Weatherspoon

Samuel, Grimes, McClain

Moore,

Has the tools but could be upgraded:

Dent, Nicholas, Decoud, Beirman*, Owens

Seen enough, ill pass:

Dunta, Peria, Franks

On the fence/not enough game snaps to judge

Hope, Mitchell,

Massaqoui, Matthews,

James

Robertson

*Beirman does all the right things, is in every play it seems, but doesnt produce the numbers. I had him as a keeper but we wouldnt be clamoring for another pass rusher if he was bring the qb down 8-10 times a year which he has never done. I like Beirman a lot but numbers dont lie.

Dunta is a good football player but a bad cornerback. He averages 1 interception a year for us, refuses to tackle properly which endangeres hinself as well as other players, seems to have lost his 4.2 footspeed as he is constantly outran on slants, and he cannot play zone which Smith seems set on running agains the best teams. Samuel, Grimes, and McClain are great zone AND man corners that despite doubters tackle way better than Drob. Give me those three and we can run any coverage against any team with no worries.

Nicholas was our best cover lb for years, but seemed to struggle against the pass this year. Our linebackers were the weak link of the Defense as they seemed lost in the complex schemes Nolan would run. The stretch option exposed their indecisiveness and playmaking abilty. They too have missed too many sacks/tackles.

Just a few observations going forward when deciding on personnel

Edited by LightningDawg58