Mock Draft Vs.1.0

MSalmon

In this draft we seek value and what TD calls players with "urgent athleticism" in the book "War Room"

Notable FA Signings:

Sammie Hill DT/NT: big stout and can play either 43 DT or 34 NT

Richard Seymour DE/DT:

Knows TD from Patriot days, UGA alum and probably the most versatile DL ever. Gets cap-friendly incentive-laden deal to play for a contender

Goal of draft is to get value, maintain offensive supremacy, offset vet departures (grimes and Baker) and get players with "urgent athleticism." I think we sign key FA for DLine.

On TE intuition, I think TG is through, but we like Coffman and Palmer, and get an explosive wr to offset TG's production

Rd. 1: Terrance Williams, WR Baylor:

At 6'3" 205 lbs,he's strong and deceptively fast. With TG retiring and frustrated with HD83's progress the Falcons get a YAC wr who is un afraid to go across the middle and highly effective at slants and digs

BPA at #30, makes up for loss of TG, provides quality depth if JJ or Roddy get hurt. Will be highly productive even if they don't. Could easily see him, Roddy and JJ go over 1000 yds each

Rd. 2: Kyle Long OT Oregon:

Remember Sebastian Volmer? Here's our version. Great athlete, with nimble feet and good strength. A bit raw, so he drops. Pat Hill sees a gem. I left out the part where we kick Clabo inside, let Baker walk and Long is our RT and Holmes starts at LT. Bookend, baby!

Rd 3 Robert Alford, cb SE Louisiana 5'10 186 4.3 40:

-physical and fast cb who really shined at senior bowl.

A serious playmaker with great ball skills

Rd 4 Stephan Taylor rRB Stanford 5'9" 220 4.5 40

-blue collar rb who's powerful, awesome pass protector and receiving threat, who'll fall due to his lack of "2nd gear," but he's athletic, smart and tough. Pair him with Quiz and we have a very effective random for years

RD 4 (comp for Lofton):Sio Moore, OLB UCONN:

At 6'1" 240 he's not huge, but he hits hard, moves fast and is outstanding in coverage. Used in hybrid role in college. Look at him to find home in Nolan's scheme

RD 5 Devin Taylor DE SCarolina, 6'7" 275 lbs

-long arms, nice athleticism and good frame. Underwhelming production and deep defensive draft cause him to fall. Look for him to add size and Nolan to tutor him. Could end up with Robertson as a 34 DE in our 34 looks. Also can play DE in 43 run downs. Would make us have 3 Former gamecocks DE types

RD 6: Montel Harris RB, Temple 5'8" 206 lbs. 4.56

--falcons talked to him. Has character concerns and durability issues. Productive runner in college. Great balance. We have strong locker room and take him. Ipbe interesting if he simply takes Antoine smiths role, or actually works in rotation

RD 7: DC Jefferson TE Rutgers, 6'6" 255

-very urgent athlete, who's raw and non-productive in college passing game . Could be a diamond in rough.

Here ya go

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make a valid point but I would really hate to see us draft a WR at #1.

I kinda do, but understand when you lose 900 yds of production you have to make it up. I think if we do it'll be a bug strong kid who excels slants and digs. HD just is ok.

Could be Eifert or Ertz. I do know this much, it's gonna be tough at #30 to get great value at DE.

But on the flip side, we have woeful depth at WR. God forbid JJ or Roddy go down. The rookie cap makes it affordable to expend high picks on a wr

A lot of people may not like it but this looks like a TD draft. A mixture of knowns and unknowns. I hope we keep Baker though.

Thanks, and I tried to think like TD. Read up on him, he's a interesting guy. A bit of a gambler and very non-conventional in thinking

If this were our draft I would Vomit

Counting FA you add 5 solid defensive players to bolster unit. You replace TGs receiving output and increase WR depth. Replace Turner with a rb with hands. Grab a possible gem at TE and RB in 6th and 7th rounds who can play STs. Improve athleticism at TE and LB.

And grab a raw but physically gifted DE

I think TD is a little smarter than to use our first round pick on an area that needs only quality backup. We have positions that need upgrades to the starters and WR is not one of them. I would hate if TD drafted like that. Just NO

Not a backup. We run 3 wr sets a lot and could do even more so with TG gone

Signing Seymour is a great move but Hill is not a good choice. He has the size but playing next to the most dominating DT in football he has been just above average. Also drafting Williams at 30 isn't good value, it's even a slight reach. I can see us drafting Williams but not at 30 -- that's only a trade down scenario.

I do not mind it as much as some people.

If we add 2 or 3 quality defensive players in FA If we wanted to go offense the first part of the draft I am OK with that.

I do want a back with that " second gear" though..... that is something we have missed since Norwood which we have never replaced. We need that kind of back. IMO

But I am of the mindset of Gdawg....... I actually would not mind trading back, picking an extra second and possibly a 1st in 2014 and then moving forward with that.

That said as much as some people may hate the idea of a wr.........but have 3 guys THAT big and THAT strong and THAT fast out there in passing situations is a really really big matchup win for us.

I do not mind it as much as some people.

If we add 2 or 3 quality defensive players in FA If we wanted to go offense the first part of the draft I am OK with that.

I do want a back with that " second gear" though..... that is something we have missed since Norwood which we have never replaced. We need that kind of back. IMO

But I am of the mindset of Gdawg....... I actually would not mind trading back, picking an extra second and possibly a 1st in 2014 and then moving forward with that.

That said as much as some people may hate the idea of a wr.........but have 3 guys THAT big and THAT strong and THAT fast out there in passing situations is a really really big matchup win for us.

Thanks for great comments. It would be nice to get an extra pick. I just don't see 6 or 7 defensive picks. They won't make roster for one thing.

And, yes, a trio of big fast wrs can compensate for TGs loss!

WR in the first would not be a smart move. RG or DT there. Warford, Short, Jenkins, Floyd some of those will likely be there.

There are other slot receivers that we can get in the third of fourth that is talented. T. King in third..

DE Devin Taylor improved his stock after the East and West shrine game.

You lost me. I grab a OT in 2nd and move Clabo inside. We have depth at OG