I Know We Don't Need A Fullback But Maybe.....

jbrinson

Kyle Juszczyk was pretty good at the Senior bowl. Mayock was raving on his blocking skills. He's very good in pass protection. I would say he could be a John Kuhn type of player. He would block for Matt on 3rd down so we don't have to waste Quizz as a blocker. He got a few carries yesterday and he got about 4 yards a pop. He played at Harvard in the FCS but look at his receiving numbers.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/1683145/kyle-juszczyk

The game against Princeton he had 15 catches for 192 yards. It's not that many receivers than can say they had that type of game in college. I know we have Ewing but maybe we can start a trend with 2 FB or just used these guys in different situations.

Kyle Juszczyk was pretty good at the Senior bowl. Mayock was raving on his blocking skills. He's very good in pass protection. I would say he could be a John Kuhn type of player. He would block for Matt on 3rd down so we don't have to waste Quizz as a blocker. He got a few carries yesterday and he got about 4 yards a pop. He played at Harvard in the FCS but look at his receiving numbers.

http://www.cbssports...5/kyle-juszczyk

The game against Princeton he had 15 catches for 192 yards. It's not that many receivers than can say they had that type of game in college. I know we have Ewing but maybe we can start a trend with 2 FB or just used these guys in different situations.

So let me get this straight.......You want a team to carry 2 FBs for game day when the norm in the lg is to just carry 1. You also want a team that wants to get more explosive to use a game day spot for a FB. Not only that but take a potential (top flight) receiving threat off of the field for a FB just to pass protect.

Its a cool idea, not taking a crap on it. But its an idea that shifts the balance of the game day roster and the scheme that we have only had in place for 2 years.

I personally would rather spend picks on Monte Ball and bring in some comp on the OL to contend for spots rather than changing the makeup of the team with a FB

Edited by WFColonel56

I think not having Ovie played a huge role in our pitiful run game this year outside of poor blocking by the line. I was convinced that we needed to upgrade at that position when I heard Ovie talk about us not having good fullback play

Yeah Turner needs that lead guy. He needs someone to make the hole bigger than what it is or it closes up too fast.

So let me get this straight.......You want a team to carry 2 FBs for game day when the norm in the lg is to just carry 1. You also want a team that wants to get more explosive to use a game day spot for a FB. Not only that but take a potential (top flight) receiving threat off of the field for a FB just to pass protect.

Its a cool idea, not taking a crap on it. But its an idea that shifts the balance of the game day roster and the scheme that we have only had in place for 2 years.

I personally would rather spend picks on Monte Ball and bring in some comp on the OL to contend for spots rather than changing the makeup of the team with a FB

I get what you're saying. He's only gonna be 6th or 7th round pick. Maybe 5th. How much contribution have we gotten from our 5th, 6th, and 7th round draft picks the past couple of years? No much. A couple of time we put Drew Davis in to pass block and what sense does that make to have a WR pass block. Plus Kyle is not just a blocker, he can catch the ball and run after the catch. He could probably play in a h-back role like Delanie Walker with less speed.

I like him too, especially his versatility, but I'd rather go with Lonnie Pryor because of his speed. If he was an RB, he'd be late 1st/early 2nd imho.

I don't think he would be a 1st round pick. He played FB because he couldn't take someone's spot at HB. This is probably the story of most college FB though. He wanted playing time so he played FB. I don't think any of those running backs at FSU will be 1st or 2nd round picks so that means Pryor isn't that good of a back. He is good though and I wouldn't mind taking.

It just simply doesn't make sense to get another FB when we drafted one just last season...not to mention we have MUCH more pressing needs to address.

So when this guy is playing with the Aints or Packer and is killing us in the pass game, you're just gonna say we had Bradie Ewing so we didn't need him?

I'm pretty sure we could say that about a lot of the 200+ draft picks, sir. We can't get EVERYBODY that's seen as an upgrade.

I don't think he would be a 1st round pick. He played FB because he couldn't take someone's spot at HB. This is probably the story of most college FB though. He wanted playing time so he played FB. I don't think any of those running backs at FSU will be 1st or 2nd round picks so that means Pryor isn't that good of a back. He is good though and I wouldn't mind taking.

2nd round then...I don't know what it is, but whenever I see him run, I see our next William Andrews. And I think it's more a matter of how he's useful at FB and HB both that made him their FB, since he's such a great blocker. I mean, the guy averaged 8 YPC - how many FBs have that kind of average? And it's not like he only had a few carries, 47 isn't a lot but he had almost 400 yards and 8 TDs on those carries. He's at least a capable receiver out of the backfield. And it's not like it's only a couple big runs that kicked him up that high - if anything, it's the opposite. He was used in GL situations a lot, so his average DROPPED. But even then, he averaged over 5 for most of the games where he had 5 or more carries. He's the real deal.

2nd round then...I don't know what it is, but whenever I see him run, I see our next William Andrews. And I think it's more a matter of how he's useful at FB and HB both that made him their FB, since he's such a great blocker. I mean, the guy averaged 8 YPC - how many FBs have that kind of average? And it's not like he only had a few carries, 47 isn't a lot but he had almost 400 yards and 8 TDs on those carries. He's at least a capable receiver out of the backfield. And it's not like it's only a couple big runs that kicked him up that high - if anything, it's the opposite. He was used in GL situations a lot, so his average DROPPED. But even then, he averaged over 5 for most of the games where he had 5 or more carries. He's the real deal.

I watched the highlight tape you posted and a lot of those were big runs on sweeps. He's pretty good and I get what you're saying but if he was a great tailback he would have been the feature back. I like Spencer Ware from LSU a little bit more if you want a back with little carries.

you can say that about 99% of players in the league. we drafted one last year, we aren t going to draft another.

True but its just something I like about this guy. He is not just a pure FB though. He can line up at H-back and TE. Ewing can probably catch but he isn't the type of threat Juszczyk is. Ewing never officially beat our Cox for the spot when he was healthy in the preseason so its not like I saying to start this guy and cut Vonta Leach or something.

True but its just something I like about this guy. He is not just a pure FB though. He can line up at H-back and TE. Ewing can probably catch but he isn't the type of threat Juszczyk is. Ewing never officially beat our Cox for the spot when he was healthy in the preseason so its not like I saying to start this guy and cut Vonta Leach or something.

Ewing got hurt early and he's better than Cox. Ewing isn't just a run blocking FB. He can run and catch.

I have been saying that Ovie was the catalyst for Turrner's running success from the very start.After ovie went down our running game came to a screeching halt.we addressed that issue in the draft last year by drafting Bradie Ewing who unfourtunatly got put on IR.He has good blocking skills and good hands. i think we should see if he can bounce back from his injury and give him a chance and look to bolster our pathetic OL.

I have been saying that Ovie was the catalyst for Turrner's running success from the very start.After ovie went down our running game came to a screeching halt.we addressed that issue in the draft last year by drafting Bradie Ewing who unfourtunatly got put on IR.He has good blocking skills and good hands. i think we should see if he can bounce back from his injury and give him a chance and look to bolster our pathetic OL.

Yeah