Senior Bowl Discussion

Kayoh

The Senior Bowl is going on right now and boy is EJ Manuel making himself a lot of money. As is Alabama TE Michael Williams. I've been a fan of that guy for months now and suddenly he's beating safeties in flag routes for touchdowns? I love it! Lane Johnson is also having a very good showing.

I also liked Ansah today but is it possible that we may have seen the future with Mike Gillislee and Larry Warford playing together and playing well ? Maybe this could be the answer to our run game problems.

Thanks DB,

I like both those prospects as well. On offense I do think we need an upgrade RG and TB, possible TE if TG retires.

Larry Warford dominated. He only was beaten twice and that was due to a single bonehead mistake against Short and getting caught in no mans land due to the no double blocking rule, which apparently only he followed. He was also the only OG who was able to handle Brandon Williams without help and was the only guard to make Sylvester Williams and Kawaan Short struggle.

Ezekiel Ansah apparently cut it loose after trying too hard during practices. He was all over the field and the top defensive playmaker.

Vince Williams did well. Definitely made a name for himself. Came off as an enforcer type. Kevin Reddick also flashed, but he wasn't able to showcase his blitzing capabilities

I also like what Mike Gillislee, Stepfan Taylor, and Michael Williams showed today. They definitely aren't going to be stars, but they'll get the job done and then some.

The corners were very good. We'll be able to get a very good value player or two in the mid to late rounds at that position.

I'm very glad we don't need a QB

Gillislee had a decent game. Showed more speed than anything, but we all knew he had that. I really wish he would've broken a few tackles to show he can beat guys one on one who know how to stay disciplined and try to wrap him up, but he didn't. Jonathan Franklin did, though. As did Mike James.

Defensively, Kawann Short, Cory Boyd and Jordan Hill all played very good games. Brandon Williams disappeared, as I expected him to. Ezekiel Ansah and the Georgia DE (#83, can't remember his name) both had good games, and Datone Jones had an alright showing. Nothing that screams first rounder though.

Sio Moore and Vince Williams were the star LBs of the day.

To correct OP you can double team but what happened is Warford pick up Syl Will got his pads turned and then pass him off to Schwenke to go help the RT, unfortunately Schwenke didn't realize this and didn't engage Williams. It was a mis-com.

Short played well but the majority of it was against Garrett Gilkey who just isn't a draftable guard. He did make two nice plays against Warford in the run including getting a TFL. He didn't get any momentum going against Warford in the passing game and actually got bulldozed on a QB sneak by Warford.

IMO we need to take Warford if he's there, he's a player that could be a multiple All-Pro

To correct OP you can double team but what happened is Warford pick up Syl Will got his pads turned and then pass him off to Schwenke to go help the RT, unfortunately Schwenke didn't realize this and didn't engage Williams. It was a mis-com.

Short played well but the majority of it was against Garrett Gilkey who just isn't a draftable guard. He did make two nice plays against Warford in the run including getting a TFL. He didn't get any momentum going against Warford in the passing game and actually got bulldozed on a QB sneak by Warford.

IMO we need to take Warford if he's there, he's a player that could be a multiple All-Pro

Brandon Williams was also the only one who got any real push against Warford. That kid would make a great NT. He didn't put up flashy numbers but he made it possible for others to make plays.

Gillislee had a decent game. Showed more speed than anything, but we all knew he had that. I really wish he would've broken a few tackles to show he can beat guys one on one who know how to stay disciplined and try to wrap him up, but he didn't. Jonathan Franklin did, though. As did Mike James.

Defensively, Kawann Short, Cory Boyd and Jordan Hill all played very good games. Brandon Williams disappeared, as I expected him to. Ezekiel Ansah and the Georgia DE (#83, can't remember his name) both had good games, and Datone Jones had an alright showing. Nothing that screams first rounder though.

Sio Moore and Vince Williams were the star LBs of the day.

Cornelius Washington? and Moore looked well in practices too. Hate Trevardo his teammate got injured though. Really wanted to see him.

The 2 stars of the game were Ansah and Manuel.

Have a feeling EJ Manuel is going to find himself as a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick by the 49ers, Redskins, or Seahawks. High quality backup QB that can be a plug-n-play guy if one of their mobile QBs get hurt. The injuries are going to happen, Manuel has the talent to step in right into the system and win. The Seahawks are letting Flynn go, the 49ers are letting Smith go, and the Redskins and Cousins aren't really a good match and Shanahan acknowledged that they want a similar QB.

Could see the Redskins trade Kirk for a 3rd round pick to a team like the Raiders, Cardinals, Chiefs, etc. and take Manuel with that pick. Can probably get more for Cousins now than if they wait and he tanks in spot starts to start the season, so there is incentive to move him prior to the draft. Holding onto mean just means he'll go back to being a backup when RGIII is back, and teams can then wait for him to be a free agent in two seasons.

Have a feeling EJ Manuel is going to find himself as a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick by the 49ers, Redskins, or Seahawks. High quality backup QB that can be a plug-n-play guy if one of their mobile QBs get hurt. The injuries are going to happen, Manuel has the talent to step in right into the system and win. The Seahawks are letting Flynn go, the 49ers are letting Smith go, and the Redskins and Cousins aren't really a good match and Shanahan acknowledged that they want a similar QB.

Could see the Redskins trade Kirk for a 3rd round pick to a team like the Raiders, Cardinals, Chiefs, etc. and take Manuel with that pick. Can probably get more for Cousins now than if they wait and he tanks in spot starts to start the season, so there is incentive to move him prior to the draft. Holding onto mean just means he'll go back to being a backup when RGIII is back, and teams can then wait for him to be a free agent in two seasons.

If I'm Washington, I'm not trading Cousins to anyone for anything less than a 2nd rounder. No QB in this year's draft class not named Geno Smith is as good as Cousins.

EJ Manual to me has the best tools of any QB in this draft. He's big, fast, strong arm and the best release of anyone in the draft. He needs to work on reading coverages and blocking assignments as well as his footwork, but I think he is a much better prospect than Glennon who is being talked about in the 1st.