With The 30Th Pick In The 1St Round Of The 2013 Nfl Draft, The Atlanta Falcons Select...psst, Wait A Minute, We Have A Trade.

g-dawg

Ok, after the topic of the Draft Trade Value chart, you knew ol' G-Dawg would have to find an excuse for a new mock.......while trades are rare, they are not extremely rare when it comes to the draft.

I wanted to see what a draft might look like if we moved down a few spots - i researched to find who has multiple 2nd round picks and found Miami(#2-42(480pts), #2-54(360pts), #3-77(205pts) and #33-82(180pts)) and Cincinnati(#2-37(530pts),#2-52(380pts), #3-85(165pts)).

Falcons picks in first three rounds: #1-30(620pts), #2-60(300pts) and #3-92(132pts).

I am not even going to pretend I know why the other teams would make the deal but just assume they would because they value player in late 1st(obviously) and the draft value chart would be consulted.

I also assume the Falcons would like to back up a little with their first selection but would want to move up in 2nd and 3rd round - thus the trade motivation for the Falcons.

Falcons Trade:

1st(#30) = 620pts

2nd(#60) = 300pts

3rd(#92) = 132pts

Total pts = 1,052

Bengals Trade:

2nd(#37) = 530pts

2nd(#52) = 380pts

3rd(#85) = 165pts

Total pts = 1,075 (close enough. difference is like a 7th round pick)

Falcons Draft:

#2-37) Alex Okafor, DE-Texas (6'5", 261lb.4.85 4.75/40 est.)

#2-52) Desmond Trufant, CB-Washington (5'11", 190lbs 4.50/40 est.)

#3-85) Gavin Escobar, TE-San Diego State (6'6", 255lbs 4.80/40 est.)

4th rd) Joseph Randle, RB-Oklahoma State (6'1", 200lbs, 4.50/40 est. )

5th rd) Kwame Geathers, NT-Georgia (6'6", 355lbs 5.2/40 est.)

6th rd) Jordan Rodgers, QB-Vanderbilt (6'1", 212lbs, 4.85/40 est.) AARON RODGERS BROTHER!!!

628x471.jpg

Assumptions:

• Falcons stay in 4-3 defense with Mike Nolan (will run hybrids though)
  • Falcons SIGN UFA Randy Starks, 6'3" 305lbs, DT-Dolphins
  • Falcons don't re-sign Brent Grimes, CB
  • Falcons CUT Michael Turner, RB
  • Falcons CUT Peria Jerry, DT
  • Falcons re-sign Vance Walker, DT
  • Falcons do re-sign William Moore
  • Falcons do re-sign Sam Baker
  • Falcons do re-sign Garrett Reynolds (he competes with Phillip Keith Manley for RG spot)
  • Falcons let Todd McClure Go

The main reason for the trade is I think we could still get our #1 position - Defensive End - and probably get the prospect we want (Okafor) by sliding down only 7 slots. We move up 8 spots with our original 2nd rounder and this garners us a future starting cornerback in Trufant. Falcons have a lot of age in the secondary and we need an "heir apparent" who can play now and star in the future - Trufant is that guy. We also move up 7 slots in 3rd round to get our future Tight end.

Positions ignored (well not really): Defensive Tackle and Offensive Guard

As much as I would love to draft Brandon Williams(DT) and Larry Warford(OG) in this draft - I addressed the D-Tackle position in free agency with a "sure thing" in Randy Starks. I got a "down-the-draft" nose tackle in round 5 in Kwame Geathers who is HUGE. With regards to the offensive line, I just really like the potential of Manley who was on our practice squad and is HUGE/Strong. I also think we invested heavily in Lamar Holmes who could project as our Right Tackle while sliding Clabo into Right Guard - we have some flexibility and room for improvement on our own staff.

Jordan Rodgers is no Aaron Rodgers - but he has a similiar skill set - he is unrefined and needs to be developed - would be a great #3 QB behind Ryan and Dom Davis (who ascends to #2) - cut McKown. I would not be suprised to see Packers draft Rodgers.

he looks quick on tape. remember, w/ defensive linemen, its not what they run the 40 in - its what they run the 10 split in.

I just watched his highlight video on YouTube and I honestly don't know how good the big 12 offensive lines are ranked compared to the rest of the national.

I just watched his highlight video on YouTube and I honestly don't know how good the big 12 offensive lines are ranked compared to the rest of the national.

Okafor handled every Offensive tackle at Senior Bowl except the kid from Central Michigan - and he battled him to a draw - lost one day - won one day. So, he consistently beat NFL draftable offensive tackles.

Jordan Rodgers? The next Josh Wilson.

6th round flyer........worth a shot! I bet if Packers draft him you will feel differently - Packers rarely draft a bad QB...

I'd have a look at KOG's man Lonnie Pryor in the 4th or a move in FA like trying to get Reggie Bush in a Falcons uniform.

Otherwise the trade down scenario works pretty well and by going after Trufant saves the Falcons a bucket load of cap space to because either its Dunta or Grimes who are hitting the road.

I no everyone is in love with Okafor but I am not so you can put me down for a no thanks.Now I have seen more film I think I'd prefer the kid from UCLA Datone Jones he just seems more athletic and quicker to me.

I'd have a look at KOG's man Lonnie Pryor in the 4th or a move in FA like trying to get Reggie Bush in a Falcons uniform.

Otherwise the trade down scenario works pretty well and by going after Trufant saves the Falcons a bucket load of cap space to because either its Dunta or Grimes who are hitting the road.

I no everyone is in love with Okafor but I am not so you can put me down for a no thanks.Now I have seen more film I think I'd prefer the kid from UCLA Datone Jones he just seems more athletic and quicker to me.

fair enough...and you are right. from a cap perspective, Trufant is a huge winner as well - we have too much money tied up at the corner position right now and this would free up money for weaknesses that need to be addressed. You could make the argument that Trufant would be a good target for our 1st round pick. he looks great at senior bowl and is from NFL family.

I made the suggestion of trading down aswell.

I would not mind picking up an extran second and then seeing if we pry away a 2014 1st from someone.

we are at that point in the franchise building now that we need to start doing things like that falconsd56. This is how New England has been able to stay on top for so long - that and Tom Brady.

Falcons are at a point where they are starting to get bloated with high-priced talent - sometimes you re-sign them but you cannot re-sign all of them and we need to replace some good talent with drafted talent - have not really done that much in last 5 years.

Ok, after the topic of the Draft Trade Value chart, you knew ol' G-Dawg would have to find an excuse for a new mock.......while trades are rare, they are not extremely rare when it comes to the draft.

I wanted to see what a draft might look like if we moved down a few spots - i researched to find who has multiple 2nd round picks and found Miami(#2-42(480pts), #2-54(360pts), #3-77(205pts) and #33-82(180pts)) and Cincinnati(#2-37(530pts),#2-52(380pts), #3-85(165pts)).

Falcons picks in first three rounds: #1-30(620pts), #2-60(300pts) and #3-92(132pts).

I am not even going to pretend I know why the other teams would make the deal but just assume they would because they value player in late 1st(obviously) and the draft value chart would be consulted.

I also assume the Falcons would like to back up a little with their first selection but would want to move up in 2nd and 3rd round - thus the trade motivation for the Falcons.

Falcons Trade:

1st(#30) = 620pts

2nd(#60) = 300pts

3rd(#92) = 132pts

Total pts = 1,052

Bengals Trade:

2nd(#37) = 530pts

2nd(#52) = 380pts

3rd(#85) = 165pts

Total pts = 1,075 (close enough. difference is like a 7th round pick)

Falcons Draft:

#2-37) Alex Okafor, DE-Texas (6'5", 261lb.4.85 4.75/40 est.)

#2-52) Desmond Trufant, CB-Washington (5'11", 190lbs 4.50/40 est.)

#3-85) Gavin Escobar, TE-San Diego State (6'6", 255lbs 4.80/40 est.)

4th rd) Joseph Randle, RB-Oklahoma State (6'1", 200lbs, 4.50/40 est. )

5th rd) Kwame Geathers, NT-Georgia (6'6", 355lbs 5.2/40 est.)

6th rd) Jordan Rodgers, QB-Vanderbilt (6'1", 212lbs, 4.85/40 est.) AARON RODGERS BROTHER!!!

628x471.jpg

Assumptions:

• Falcons stay in 4-3 defense with Mike Nolan (will run hybrids though)
  • Falcons SIGN UFA Randy Starks, 6'3" 305lbs, DT-Dolphins
  • Falcons don't re-sign Brent Grimes, CB
  • Falcons CUT Michael Turner, RB
  • Falcons CUT Peria Jerry, DT
  • Falcons re-sign Vance Walker, DT
  • Falcons do re-sign William Moore
  • Falcons do re-sign Sam Baker
  • Falcons do re-sign Garrett Reynolds (he competes with Phillip Keith Manley for RG spot)
  • Falcons let Todd McClure Go

The main reason for the trade is I think we could still get our #1 position - Defensive End - and probably get the prospect we want (Okafor) by sliding down only 7 slots. We move up 8 spots with our original 2nd rounder and this garners us a future starting cornerback in Trufant. Falcons have a lot of age in the secondary and we need an "heir apparent" who can play now and star in the future - Trufant is that guy. We also move up 7 slots in 3rd round to get our future Tight end.

Positions ignored (well not really): Defensive Tackle and Offensive Guard

As much as I would love to draft Brandon Williams(DT) and Larry Warford(OG) in this draft - I addressed the D-Tackle position in free agency with a "sure thing" in Randy Starks. I got a "down-the-draft" nose tackle in round 5 in Kwame Geathers who is HUGE. With regards to the offensive line, I just really like the potential of Manley who was on our practice squad and is HUGE/Strong. I also think we invested heavily in Lamar Holmes who could project as our Right Tackle while sliding Clabo into Right Guard - we have some flexibility and room for improvement on our own staff.

HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

G-Dawg mad respect for this mock love the Desmond Trufant pick. Read somewhere he wants to beat his older brother Marcus Trufant's combine time of 4.38 seconds. Love that type attitude from him.

My only problem is not addressing the Linebacker position. Maybe you can adjust your FA acquisitions for use to pick up a couple.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/01/26/2450023/trufant-turning-heads-of-pro-scouts.html#storylink=cpy

G-Dawg mad respect for this mock love the Desmond Trufant pick. Read somewhere he wants to beat his older brother Marcus Trufant's combine time of 4.38 seconds. Love that type attitude from him.

My only problem is not addressing the Linebacker position. Maybe you can adjust your FA acquisitions for use to pick up a couple.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstr...l#storylink=cpy

thanks Looky.....

we have a ton of needs - we won't address all of them in one offseason - agree we probably need some type of speedy linebacker to pair with Spoon. Who and how we get him is the question.....if we run those hybrid defenses w/ extra corner/safety on fhe field, we probably could make do for a year.

thanks Looky.....

we have a ton of needs - we won't address all of them in one offseason - agree we probably need some type of speedy linebacker to pair with Spoon. Who and how we get him is the question.....if we run those hybrid defenses w/ extra corner/safety on fhe field, we probably could make do for a year.

It might just be irrational high hopes but Schiller might just surprise us all. Sounded like he had great instincts and played fast , he just had issues with the verbage and actually following orders. I would imagine a year on PS would fix that.

All of that aside I wouldnt mind brining in a new LB as well.

Started a thread in the draft forum about one of the QBs in the draft falling to 30 and a couple of QB needy teams getting into a bidding war to get him.

Love to see a trade down and get 2 nds this year or a second this year and a 1st next. If KC wants, say Barkley, at 30 and are afraid another team will make the trade, be happy to take their 2nd this year [3 spots down] and get extra picks, either this year, or the next.