Atlanta Falcons '13 Offseason

This is what I would like us to do this offseason and we should look at incorporating more 3-4 looks.

Resign:

Sam Baker, LT (5yr/30mil)

William Moore, S (5yr/24mil)

Brent Grimes, CB (3yr/14.5) + Incentives (Same deal as Asante)

Free Agency:

Michael Johnson, DE/OLB (6yr/44.5mil)

Randy Starks, DT/DE (5yr/30mil)

Terrance Knighton, NT (3yr/12mil)

Release (Cuts & Retirements):

Not Resign:

Luke McCown, QB

Will Svitek, OT

Todd McClure, C

Lawerence Sidbury, DE

Vance Walker, DT

Mike Peterson, LB

Mike Cox, FB

Cut:

Dunta Robinson, CB (8mil)

Michael Turner, HB (5.5mil)

Peria Jerry, DT (2mil)

Kerry Meier, WR

*Jonathan Babineauex (4.7mil) (Only if we sign Randy Starks, he has no dead money hit)

Retirement:

Tony Gonzalez, TE (expect the worst hope for the best)

Draft:

In order of who I want:

1st: Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama (To me instant pro bowl caliber guard, I'm not high on Warford and the guys in round 2-3,

slide Konz to center and our Oline becomes a strength of the team.)

2nd: Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

or Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn (Tremendous upside)

or John Simon, DE, Ohio State (Highest motor of a player you'll ever see.)

3rd: Mike Gillislee, HB, Florida (My opinion he's the best back in the draft. Reminds me of a DeAngelo Williams/Arian Foster type.)

or Montee Ball, HB, Wisconsin

or Stefan Taylor, HB, Stanford

or Marcus Lattimore, HB, South Carolina

4th: Travis Kelce, TE, Cinncinati (Reminds me of a better blocking Brent Celek, huge sleeper.)

or Vance McDonald, TE, Rice (Best TE at Senior Bowl, another sleeper.)

4th*: Tyrann Mathieu, CB/S/PR, LSU (I would take a chance on him, he's a football junkie.)

or Shawn Williams, S, Georgia (Nolan likes 3 safety looks.)

or Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia

or Robert Lester, S, Alabama

5th: Chad Bumphis, WR, Mississippi State (Very savy player give him a year and he'll probably beat out Harry for the slot.)

or Jonathan Brown, OLB, Illinois

or Kenjon Barner, HB/PR, Oregon (Dynamic returner.)

6th: Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State (Even though Bryant has been clutch, it's better to replace him now than when he falls off the wagon.)

or Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida

7th: Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky (Was 3rd in the nation in sacks, has terrific size, destoyed Alabama,

but is coming off an ACL he was only considered at 5th round pick so he'll slip in the draft).

If we have an offseason like this our new defensive front could look something like this.

Defensive front 7 in a 3-4 look:

DE: Randy Starks |

NT: Terrance Knighton | Travian Robertson |

DE: Corey Peters |

ROLB: Michael Johnson | Draft Pick (2) | Quanterus Smith (7) | Cliff Matthews |

ILB: Sean Weatherspoon | Akeem Dent |

ILB: Stephen Nicolas |

LOLB: John Abraham | Kroy Biermann | Jonathan Massaquoi |

I think Nolan could do alot with that.

If they draft the Honey Badger just imagine how many cry baby threads there will be about wasting a pick on a weed head. I hope we do because the man is extremely talented.

haha Yeh true but in the 4th I think he's worth a shot.. He doesn't strike me as a guy who doesn't care about football, he loves it. Similar to guys like Favre and Irvin he has some drug problems but weed isn't that bad to me and I think he can become a big time player.

haha Yeh true but in the 4th I think he's worth a shot.. He doesn't strike me as a guy who doesn't care about football, he loves it. Similar to guys like Favre and Irvin he has some drug problems but weed isn't that bad to me and I think he can become a big time player.

What concerned me about his whole story was that he just let police come in. Either he had no clue that stuff was there or he's an idiot ... hope it's the former.

EDIT: to add something, you think OKafor will be there in the second? Also I think of all the FA DEs you've got the best one for this team - hope they make it happen

Edited by Kizu_7

What concerned me about his whole story was that he just let police come in. Either he had no clue that stuff was there or he's an idiot ... hope it's the former.

EDIT: to add something, you think OKafor will be there in the second? Also I think of all the FA DEs you've got the best one for this team - hope they make it happen

Yeh I don;t know the details of the arrest so I'm not sure on that.

On Okafor I think there's a chance he slips. He's not a high upside guy more of a safe pick and in a loaded DE draft there's a chance he could slide, either way i'm high on Lemonier and Simon aswell.

Michael Johnson to me is definitely the best FA DE out there. He's only 25, super athletic and a great fit for Nolan's Defense. He's also a Georgia boy so I think he'll definitely be interested coming to us.

Yeh I don;t know the details of the arrest so I'm not sure on that.

On Okafor I think there's a chance he slips. He's not a high upside guy more of a safe pick and in a loaded DE draft there's a chance he could slide, either way i'm high on Lemonier and Simon aswell.

Michael Johnson to me is definitely the best FA DE out there. He's only 25, super athletic and a great fit for Nolan's Defense. He's also a Georgia boy so I think he'll definitely be interested coming to us.

didn't know he was from Georgia ... hope that does spur him to come here.

Guest Negatorris

If they draft the Honey Badger just imagine how many cry baby threads there will be about wasting a pick on a weed head. I hope we do because the man is extremely talented.

He is extremely talented, and I wouldn't mind picking him if the older guys can knock some sense into his head. Imagine all of the trouble he could get to in Atlanta. We don't need another Eugene Robinson.

Alot of unrealistic stuff IMO. Don't get me wrong i'd love for all this to go down, but Okafor in the 2nd is probably a stretch, but i'd be totally fine with Lemonier though. And Kelce in the 4th is definitely a stretch. I don't see Cinci not signing Michael Johnson.

I love the picks though. Kelce, Matthieu and Bumphis are 3 of my favorite guys in this draft. You have to like Bumphis upside. He is a thick guy who can move. He projects to be a slot WR but he played on the outside at MSU alot. And he would give us a dangerous return man.

Also like Quanterus Smith. Has a ton of upside for a late round pick.

Edited by Clark Kent

He is extremely talented, and I wouldn't mind picking him if the older guys can knock some sense into his head. Imagine all of the trouble he could get to in Atlanta. We don't need another Eugene Robinson.

I said it a while back, if he can get around the right group, it's possible that he could change his ways if not then we chunk the dueces. As a late round pick, it wouldn't hurt at all if we cut ties with him

Johnson isnt leaving Cincy. They will resign him or they will tag him.

If we cut Babs/Jerry/ Vance we are basically bringing in a new DLine with 2 rookies manning the same position.

Okafor is not gonna be available in the 2nd

We also need more help on OLine. Reynolds contract is up. Do you resign him or cut him for Jones, also need Svitek replacement?

Edited by B_Lo_Touchdowns

Alot of unrealistic stuff IMO. Don't get me wrong i'd love for all this to go down, but Okafor in the 2nd is probably a stretch, but i'd be totally fine with Lemonier though. And Kelce in the 4th is definitely a stretch. I don't see Cinci not signing Michael Johnson.

I love the picks though. Kelce, Matthieu and Bumphis are 3 of my favorite guys in this draft. You have to like Bumphis upside. He is a thick guy who can move. He projects to be a slot WR but he played on the outside at MSU alot. And he would give us a dangerous return man.

Also like Quanterus Smith. Has a ton of upside for a late round pick.

Yeh I had most of this made a while ago, Okafor probably won't be there in the 2nd but thats why i have multiple players (best to worst case) still I wouldn't be surprised to see him there though.

Cinci are most likely tagging Andre Smith, MJ will test Free Agency.

Yeh most of these players are my favorites and would love for us to draft.

Johnson isnt leaving Cincy. They will resign him or they will tag him.

If we cut Babs/Jerry/ Vance we are basically bringing in a new DLine with 2 rookies manning the same position.

Okafor is not gonna be available in the 2nd

We also need more help on OLine. Reynolds contract is up. Do you resign him or cut him for Jones, also need Svitek replacement?

I doubt it they want to sign Andre Smith first.

I didn't understand that part. I said sign Knighton, bring in Starks for Babs (better in a 3-4) or if we don't bring him in keep Babs, and put Peters on the outside.

Probably. Draft Lemonier/Simon then.

We could don't see a huge reason to. Starting 5: Baker/Blalock/Konz/Jones/Clabo

Backups: Holmes/Manley/Hawley/Johnson, pretty solid to me

Okafor will be gone in the first round a lot of mocks I seen him have him going 21 to Cincy, He improved his draft stock a lot after the senior bowl, that's why I don't think he will even make it to us in the first. I'd be fine with Barrett Jones in the first, I've been high on him since I started looking at draft prospects.Gillislee would be a good choice and Kelce as well.

No matter how bad us falcons fans want Mathieu, its not going to happen. He goes against everything the front office stands for. Wishful thinking tho, Okafor doesn't make it to the second, but if we drafted Jones in the first then I'd be fine with Lemonier or Jones in the second.

I been seeing meier's name Alot. He was actually cut this preseason

I thought that too however....

He was on IR according to Wiki pedia not sure if that means that we just keep him on with his injury settlement etc I expect he gets a chance and a last chance to measure up in OTA's before we finally set him adrift!

I thought that too however....

He was on IR according to Wiki pedia not sure if that means that we just keep him on with his injury settlement etc I expect he gets a chance and a last chance to measure up in OTA's before we finally set him adrift!

He was on IR last season but according to my google search it confirms that he was cut on every link.

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2012/8/31/3283772/atlanta-falcons-roster-cuts-kerry-meier-mike-cox-andrew-jackson