Worst Franchise In Nfl History>?

Willy Mo

now I know this is RC and we all hate eachother's team but try not to be TOO bias when you reply here.

try not to make it a flame war.

so, what do you think is the worst franchise in NFL history?

edit:changed my pick to the Lions

Edited by #1WilliamMooreFan

now I know this is RC and we all hate eachother's team but try not to be TOO bias when you reply here.

try not to make it a flame war.

so, what do you think is the worst franchise in NFL history?

even though they're a fairly new franchise, I'm picking the Jaguars. I mean, they're the ******* Jaguars. what more needs to be said?

There was a time back in the 80's & early 90's where this dubious distinction easily belonged to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Thankfully that changed once the Glazers bought the team and hired Tony Dungy, and the rest is history. While taking a rather steep slide backwards the past 10 years, at least we're nowhere near 0-26 territory!

I agree that the Jags are the worst, but they've only been around since 1995, so they don't have nearly the length of ineptitude of say, the Lions.

Yup, I'll go with the Detroit Lions.

heres the 3 worst

as of 2008

so Texans have a Playoff win now and 2 div titles, and of course Saints have a world championship and 2 div Title sine then

32. ARIZONA CARDINALS

DierdorfDan1.jpgFirst Cardinals season: 1920

History: Chicago (1920-43; 45-59); Card-Pitt (1944); St. Louis (1960-87); Phoenix (1988-93); Arizona (1994-present)

Cardinals franchise record: 464-667-39 (.413) – 28th

Cardinals franchise playoff record: 2-5 (.286)

Cardinals championships: 1925 (pre-title game era), 1947

Face of the Cardinals franchise: Dan Dierdorf

Greatest Cardinals players: Dierdorf, Jim Hart, Night Train Lane, Ernie Nevers, Jackie Smith, Charley Trippi, Larry Wilson

Greatest Cardinals coach: Jimmy Conzelman (1940-42, 1946-48); 34-31-3 (.522) – Led Cardinals through their glory years of 1947 and 1948.

Cardinals claim to infamy: Two playoff wins in 88 seasons.

It never got any better for Cardinals fans than it did on: Dec. 28, 1947

The Cardinals – then in Chicago and still under Bidwill ownership – won their one and only championship game in 88 seasons of NFL football. Elmer Angsman ripped off a pair of 70-yard TD runs, including the game-winning score in the fourth quarter, as the Cardinals beat the Eagles, 28-21, for their sad, lonely, singular NFL title. The Cardinals could have notched back-to-back titles in 1948. But the dominant 11-1 Cardinals fell in a blizzard-coated rematch with the Eagles, 7-0.

Cardinals overview:

The Cardinals have a long and storied history – it's a sad, sorrowful and pathetic story, but definitely a long one. Like an itinerant Depression Era urchin, the Cardinals have meandered along the old Route 66, dragging their sorry, underfed *** of a franchise from Chicago to St. Louis to the desert of Arizona. It would be truly poetic if the Cardinals some day ended up in L.A., at the end of the old Route 66. Like a Tom Joad of the gridiron, they've starved for success every step of the way.

The Cardinals can trace their roots back to 1898, making it the oldest football franchise in the country. They were one of the original NFL franchises in 1920. Along the way, they've lost more games (667) and fielded more losing teams (56) than any other organization in football, losing nearly 59 percent of all the games they've ever played. The organization bottomed out in the 1950s, posting a decade-long record of 33-84-3 (.288). It hasn't really got a whole lot better since.

The systemic troubles for the Cardinals are so old and run so deep that not even great coaches can win there: Joe Stydahar, Curly Lambeau, Don Coryell, Bud Wilkinson and Gene Stallings all headed the Cardinals franchise. All had great success elsewhere, whether in college or the pros. All lost with the Cardinals.

The postseason numbers say it all: in 88 NFL seasons, the Cardinals have won just two playoff games. They beat the Eagles in the 1947 NFL championship game and celebrated the glory of 1998 wildcard victory over Dallas. At this rate, the Cardinals – the Los Angeles Cardinals – should celebrate another playoff win around 2040.

31. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

ManningArchiecard2.jpgFirst Saints season: 1967

Saints franchise record: 254-367-5 (.410) – 29th

Saints franchise playoff record: 2-6 (.250)

Saints championships: none

Face of the Saints franchise: Archie Manning

Greatest Saints players: Joe Horn, Ricky Jackson, Manning, Eric Martin, Sam Mills,

Greatest Saints coach: Jim Mora (1986-96), 93-74 (.557) – Led New Orleans to four of its six playoff appearances and five of its eight winning seasons.

Saints claim to infamy: One conference title game appearance in 41 seasons.

It never got any better for Saints fans than it did on: Jan. 13, 2007

A year and a half after the city of New Orleans was nearly destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, the Saints, at home in the reconstructed Superdome, won just the second playoff game in franchise history with a 27-24 victory over the Eagles and earned the franchise's first-ever appearance in a conference title game.

Saints overview:

How bad has it been for the Saints? They've lost more games since joining the NFL in 1967 (367) than the Browns have lost (360) since joining the NFL in 1950 ... and it's been a long time since the Browns were any good.

The Saints have fielded just eight winning teams in 40 seasons, played 20 years in the NFL before posting a first winning record, and have yet to produce a single Hall of Fame performer (three HOFers ended their careers with the Saints: Doug Atkins, Earl Campbell and Jim Taylor).

And, in one of the great unbelievable Cold, Hard Football Facts ever uncovered, the Saints have an all-time losing record against 23 of the other 31 teams in the NFL. They have a winning record against just one of the 31 other teams in the NFL, Tampa Bay.

The outlook is definitely getting better for Saints fans: they've had just two losing seasons in the past six years – an enviable rate by the franchise's standards – and one of those was the disastrous, post-Katrina 2005 campaign in which it would have been unreasonable to expect any team to win anything. The Saints also appeared in the conference title game just two seasons ago, and seem to have the talent to at least compete in the weak NFC South for a few years to come.

But it will take years of success to erase the dreadful memories of seasons past and for the organization's highlights to surpass the football-folly lowlights that have defined the No. 31-ranked Aints.

30. HOUSTON TEXANS

CarrDavidcard.jpgFirst Texans season: 2002

Texans franchise record: 32-64 (.333) – 32nd

Texans franchise playoff record: 0-0

Texans championships: ha, ha, ha! You're kidding, right?

Face of the Texans franchise: David Carr (for better or worse, he was the team's most recognizable player and symbolic of its frustrations)

Greatest Texans player: DeMeco Ryans, 2006 NFL Rookie of the Year (you got someone better?)

Greatest Texans coach: Gary Kubiak (2006-present), 14-18 (.438) – The jury's still out, but Kubiak has the inside track over original coach Dom Capers, who led the franchise through its highly unsuccessful first four years.

Texans claim to infamy: No winning seasons.

It never got any better for Texans fans than it did on: Dec. 24, 2006

After nine straight losses, the Texans defeat AFC powerhouse Indy for the first time in franchise history. Humiliated by the loss, the Colts go on to win Super Bowl XLI. Running back Ron Dayne led the victory with a career-high 153 yards, while Kris Brown kicked a game-winning 48-yard field goal as the clock ran out.

Texans overview:

The bar for expansion franchises was set high by Carolina and Jacksonville, who joined the NFL in 1995 and each played in conference title games in 1996. The Texans are following a more traditional expansion-franchise model, struggling to grow competitive.

They had losing records in each of their first five seasons of existence, before climbing to a respectable 8-8 last season in the tough AFC South. They still have, technically speaking, the worst winning percentage of any NFL franchise. But, given Houston's youth, it's a little unfair to compare their few short years of ineptitude to the team 31st on the list of all-time franchise records, Tampa Bay.

Among the teams in the bottom quarter of the all-time franchise rankings, Houston is more likely than any other team to rocket up the list toward respectability. A few good seasons over the next five years or so, and the Texans can quickly erase the painful memories over their first six years in the league.

http://www.profootballhof.com/UserFiles/file/W-L-Start-of-2012_Final.pdf

According to this cardinals have worst winning percentage ever. So cards would make sense. Recceese don't act like calling the panthers one of the worst franchises in the nfl a reach. .460 winning percentage all time before this season started. Including another losing season this season. I would say the cardinals are worse. The falcons are actually worse historically speaking with a winning percentage of .429. However, their recent success would make me put them ahead both teams.

http://www.profootballhof.com/UserFiles/file/W-L-Start-of-2012_Final.pdf

According to this cardinals have worst winning percentage ever. So cards would make sense. Recceese don't act like calling the panthers one of the worst franchises in the nfl a reach. .460 winning percentage all time before this season started. Including another losing season this season. I would say the cardinals are worse. The falcons are actually worse historically speaking with a winning percentage of .429. However, their recent success would make me put them ahead both teams.

I knew it would happen I just thought it would be somebody other then a fan of team that we've smashed in back to back years.

He points out the logical, and you come back with the illogical? So you beat the Skins, WFW is sure that hurt their feeling when they were playing in a playoff game with the Meows and RestIce watching from their couches!biggrin.png

julio.gif

All I can talk about what happen head to head we didn't play the same schedule. We can't control what they did to other teams.

I also liked how you glossed over his comments about winning % of teams. Your the % guy old man. How about you mention that.

You really cannot bring up a number when said numbers has the Meows on the losing side of things...Its 4 winning seasons for the panthers in 18...Falcons got their 5th winning season in their 17th season

Falcons handle the Meows on a 64% rate

Falcons have the most winning seasons in the NFCS and highest winning season % at 32...panthers at 22%

Yeah, well if want to look at it that way at least when we actually do make it to the playoffs we tend to make it count. Noted by the 6 playoff wins (1 less than the oh-so-great Falcons) in 4 winning seasons with a 30-year difference between our respective franchises.

WFW is not seeing a cowgirls 7 game winning streak in their near future. Not with this owner/GM, HC, core of players, etc.

WFW did like the signing of Monte Kiffin though...that I will give you

He says to a Panthers fan when no Cowboys fan said anything about our team.