Give Me Your 3 Moves/changes That Get Birds A Lombardi Next Year

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...the two teams whose defenses played the best are in the Super Bowl. Wouldn't you agree?

Yeah and Baltimore gave up 35 points to Denver and San Fran gave up 31 to Green bay

We gave up 28 to Seattle and 28 to San Fran so i don't think there was a huge difference.

And with BVG in 2010 we gave up 48 points to Green Bay so i think we improved alot on defense

Edited by Clark Kent

Yeah and Baltimore gave up 35 points to Denver and San Fran gave up 31 to Green bay

We gave up 28 to Seattle and 28 to San Fran so i don't think there was a huge difference.

And with BVG in 2010 we gave up 48 points to Green Bay so i think we improved alot on defense

Yeah....Baltimore's defense didn't give up 35 points to Denver. Denver had two kick returns for TDs. Also, Baltimore's defense scored a TD of their own so their net points against Denver was only 14.

Also GB scored 7 points on a pick six at the beginning and 7 points in garbage time.

Just to tell the whole story and all.

That were you're wrong if you had any inkling of my posting history. Do I spout off about preceived deffiencies(Constuctive I would hope), with this team - Sure I do.

But you're the one trying to me this personal

My bad trying trying to attack you or make it personal. I do mostly see negative from you, but it's ok I understand you aren't the only one. I assume its from being a long time fan and are in fear of falling back down. We won't just gotta have faith.

I agree there is a lot if excuses and I use a lot. There has to be a reason for the failure though and I just try to bring some up.

There is always positives though. I think we come back even better next year no doubt.

Yeah....Baltimore's defense didn't give up 35 points to Denver. Denver had two kick returns for TDs. Also, Baltimore's defense scored a TD of their own so their net points against Denver was only 14.

Also GB scored 7 points on a pick six at the beginning and 7 points in garbage time.

Just to tell the whole story and all.

Well to the tell the whole story we got up big leads on both teams and softened up on defense.

Still an upgrade over the 48 scored on us b Green Bay in 2010.

For Nolans first year as our DC I think he did a great job

Edited by Clark Kent

Well to the tell the whole story we got up big leads on both teams and softened up on defense.

Still an upgrade over the 48 scored on us b Green Bay in 2010.

For Nolans first year as our DC I think he did a great job

He did a great job.....in the regular season. It might not have been his fault what happened in the playoffs, but there is also nothing there to give him credit for.

He did a great job.....in the regular season. It might not have been his fault what happened in the playoffs, but there is also nothing there to give him credit for.

He did better than BVG did in the playoffs. Obviously the result is not what we wanted and its very aggravating getting up big on a team and letting them back in the game, but I can't speak to whose fault it was. It could always be better, but only 2 teams make it to the big game and we all agree we should be there right now.

My bad trying trying to attack you or make it personal. I do mostly see negative from you, but it's ok I understand you aren't the only one. I assume its from being a long time fan and are in fear of falling back down. We won't just gotta have faith.

I agree there is a lot if excuses and I use a lot. There has to be a reason for the failure though and I just try to bring some up.

There is always positives though. I think we come back even better next year no doubt.

Abosolutely.

Maybe I'm not alone, but I honestly think DT and LB are bigger needs than DE. We played a lot of 4-2-5 and hybrid 3-4, and getting a DE like Kawaan Short and an LB like Arthur Brown would help us tremendously. All sorts of talent in the positions we need this year. Pretty fortunate really.

I would agree that all 3 are equal needs at least.

And I agree, there are a lot of "tweeners" available, guys that could be OLBs or DEs, the kind of guys I think Nolan likes very much.

Manning completed 14/21 206YDS 3TDs 0 INT

Giants also rushed for 166 yards when they were the worst rushing team in the league that season.

Sacked Manning 1 time

Got 0 Turnovers

How did he do a good job?

Well the Giants did start the game

3 and out

3 and out

3 and out

Safety

TD

3 and out

Five 3 and outs or worse for the Giants in the first 6 drives.

If the Falcons defense had a similar start against the Niners, we'd be getting ready to watch them in the Super Bowl.

Well the Giants did start the game

3 and out

3 and out

3 and out

Safety

TD

3 and out

Five 3 and outs or worse for the Giants in the first 6 drives.

If the Falcons defense had a similar start against the Niners, we'd be getting ready to watch them in the Super Bowl.

What does the start matter? We got up 17-0 and still lost so thats no guarantee we would have won.

Point is BVG didn't do great against the Giants. They rushed for way more than there average that year. Eli had 3 TD's 0 INT's 1 sack and 0 Turnover. That doesn't scream great game on defense.

SF averaged 5.1 yard per rush 149 to one of the better rushing teams in the league

NYG averaged 5.5 yard per rush 172 to the worst rushing team in the league that year

SF totaled 373

NYG totaled 442

Edited by Clark Kent

What does the start matter? We got up 17-0 and still lost so thats no guarantee we would have won.

Point is BVG didn't do great against the Giants. They rushed for way more than there average that year. Eli had 3 TD's 0 INT's 1 sack and 0 Turnover. That doesn't scream great game on defense.

SF averaged 5.1 yard per rush 149 to one of the better rushing teams in the league

NYG averaged 5.5 yard per rush 172 to the worst rushing team in the league that year

SF totaled 373

NYG totaled 442

The Falcons defense got wore down in the Giants game because the Falcons offense couldn't stay on the field at all.

If the Falcons defense would have played as strong against the Niners for 6 possessions as they did against the Giants, the Niners game would never have been in question.

The Falcons defense got wore down in the Giants game because the Falcons offense couldn't stay on the field at all.

If the Falcons defense would have played as strong against the Niners for 6 possessions as they did against the Giants, the Niners game would never have been in question.

That is pure speculation. We got up 17-0 and still lost. How can you say if we would have had a few more 3 and outs we would have won becasue our defense would have been more fresh? Isn't a 17-0 lead more important than a few more 3 and outs?

He let the worst rushing team in the league rack up 172 yards. Sacked the QB once. QB throws 3 TD's And got zero turnovers. Not a great day as a DC.

Edited by Clark Kent

#1 Adress the TE positio. Do what ever possible to bring Gonzo back... offer him what he wants, do what ever it takes and then draft/sign a big athletic TE to be his replacement.

#2 Sign a speed type running back... we need a Jerious Norwood type back but one who is not made of 200 yearold glass.

#3 adress the front 7.... not just Dend but bring in depth at every position,, End, Tackle, Linebacker make everyone but Spoon earn their spot.

Special addition..... Resign willy Mo and draft/sign another big hitter to be behind him so when he goes down the drop off is not as noticable.

That is pure speculation. We got up 17-0 and still lost. How can you say if we would have had a few more 3 and outs we would have won becasue our defense would have been more fresh? Isn't a 17-0 lead more important than a few more 3 and outs?

He let the worst rushing team in the league rack up 172 yards. Sacked the QB once. And got zero turnovers. Not a great day as a DC.

How can I say that?

Because we gave up TD drive after TD drive, and were still only a play away from winning the game.

Yeah, I think three more three and outs would have made a helluva difference.

If Atlanta does the things you mentioned with quality players whose skill set matches what Nolan and Koetter want we should 'go deep' in next year's post season.

Speaking of Atlanta's inability to make half time adjustments --- what is the problem? This past year there were games when we were commenting on good adjustments at the half -- what happened? Can't figure whether it is coach- based or if 'wrong' personal' prevents changes required. Coaching staff certainly sees this too, and will hopefully address it in off-season.

Edited by Walt

Mike Smith has to get better at coaching, (game managing to be exact). How many mental coaching mistakes were made in the Seattle game alone?

The timeout that was called way too early as time was running out.

The squib kickoff, don't even know what we tried to do there.

No halftime adjustments. Blew a 20 point lead.

There were other mistakes too. I think my mind has just tried to block them out and I can't think right now.

We cannot keep making excuses for the poor coaching come playoff time. We just can't.

Let's be honest. We almost lost the Seattle game. If that had happened we would have yet had another 1 and done.

We need more than just better coaching, we need better players. But I'm not giving the coaching a pass until I see improvement.

1 - upgrade at DE

2 - upgrade at DT

3 - upgrade at LB

I honestly think the OL next season will be made up of guys who played for ATL this season. The order may shuffle some, but I dont think there will be a new high profile name.

LT - Baker or Holmes

LG - Blaylock

OC - Konz or Hawley

RG - Konz, Reynolds, Holmes or Clabo

RT - Clabo or Holmes

out of that grouping I expect to find our new OL. They actually played pretty well overall down the stretch, especially considering we face two of the more powerful front lines in the playoffs.

When Tony leaves I do NOT think the focus is going to be on finding another great TE to be Tony. I think we will see a shift in the offense some to focus more on HD in the slot, with a good complimentary TE (similar to a guy like Dickson in BAL)