Give Me Your 3 Moves/changes That Get Birds A Lombardi Next Year

....and this isn't strictly limited to just FA/draft acquisitions. Wide open question: What moves or changes do you think will finally get us the Lombardi?

I'll go first and I'll do mine in order of importance:

1.) HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS- I thought at the beginning of the '12 season we had this problem licked with the way we came from out from halftime in the KC and San Diego games...but as the year progressed this ugly tendency to come out flat (particularly on defense) reared it's ugly head again and absolutely killed us in the postseason. I don't know if it's strictly a game planning issue, conditioning, apathy, philosophy or what but it's something that is definitely costing this team and is a major obstacle in it's path to greater success.

2.) PASS RUSH-This seems like it's been a problem since Moses was in high school. The difficulty this franchise has had (and continues to have) in finding a compliment to an aging John Abraham is borderline comical. Opposing QBs sometimes look like they could do their taxes against the Falcons. If Okafor or Jones are there when we pick I hope a Falcon representative sprints to the podium like a beauty pageant winner.

3.) RUN BLOCKING/NEW RB-I linked these because they're obviously closely related. Although many on here have fallen in love with Garrett Reynolds and see him grabbing that RG slot back next year (as Konz moves over to his natural position at center) I think that's a case of absence making the heart grow fonder. Give me a road grading guard in that 2nd round and give Manley and Holmes a real chance in OTAs and training camp to get on that line. Find Turner's replacement in the 3rd round. We simply have to run the ball better in 2013.

Those are my 3 things that, if seriously addressed and fixed by the Falcons will get us to the Promised Land.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly not sure how much can be added to that, Gritz. We were a few plays away as it was, and those ARE the issues that plagued us all year.

There truly does seem to be something systemically wrong with us in the second halves of games. We came out red-hot in both play-off games, and had we maintained it, we would have blown both teams out of the water. Can we not counter-adjust? Do we somehow panic when we do take the lead, envisioning that it's going to melt away like it has in the past? It's almost comical to consider how on the ropes we had both our play-off opponents before we turned into a circus routine of missed tackles and turnovers. Almost.

Thats about it bro. I noticed that when it comes to preparing for a team...we excel...but making halftime adjust. we fail...that must change. Pass rush is a must! DT or DE...whatever but i see us bringing at least three new bodies via FA/Draft. Lastly we need a back whos explosive and hits the hole hard and fast. I think we hit OL in FA...get a back in the draft.

I noticed that when it comes to preparing for a team...we excel...but making halftime adjust. we fail.

That sums up it, man, that sums it up.

We "finished" with Kansas City, San Diego, Philly, and the Giants after starting hot.

The start of the San Fran looked like the Giants game to me at first. I was so hopeful at that point. Then we reverted.

Draft nothing but the biggest meanest defensive players available in all rounds.

Resign Tony.

Resign Baker.

Konz will get better, it's never easy for rookies. The offense is good to go as is, next year they are going to average 30 points a game.

We just need a tougher defense for the post season.

Also, I think we need a little change of philosphy on defense, especially in the playoffs. Being the least penalized team in history sounds nice, but it tells me we aren't pushing the boundaries of legality enough. We need to disrupt receivers better next year in the playoffs.

Also, I think we need a little change of philosphy on defense, especially in the playoffs. Being the least penalized team in history sounds nice, but it tells me we aren't pushing the boundaries of legality enough. We need to disrupt receivers better next year in the playoffs.

Excellent point I haven't even thought about......wink.png

....and this isn't strictly limited to just FA/draft acquisitions. Wide open question: What moves or changes do you think will finally get us the Lombardi?

1.) HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS- I thought at the beginning of the '12 season we had this problem licked with the way we came from out from halftime in the KC and San Diego games...but as the year progressed this ugly tendency to come out flat (particularly on defense) reared it's ugly head again and absolutely killed us in the postseason. I don't know if it's strictly a game planning issue, conditioning, apathy, philosophy or what but it's something that is definitely costing this team and is a major obstacle in it's path to greater success.

2.) PASS RUSH-This seems like it's been a problem since Moses was in high school. The difficulty this franchise has had (and continues to have) in finding a compliment to an aging John Abraham is borderline comical. Opposing QBs sometimes look like they could do their taxes against the Falcons. If Okafor or Jones are there when we pick I hope a Falcon representative sprints to the podium like a beauty pageant winner.

3.) RUN BLOCKING/NEW RB-I linked these because they're obviously closely related. Although many on here have fallen in love with Garrett Reynolds and see him grabbing that RG slot back next year (as Konz moves over to his natural position at center) I think that's a case of absence making the heart grow fonder. Give me a road grading guard in that 2nd round and give Manley and Holmes a real chance in OTAs and training camp to get on that line. Find Turner's replacement in the 3rd round. We simply have to run the ball better in 2013.

Those are my 3 things that, if seriously addressed and fixed by the Falcons will get us to the Promised Land.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Turner had played in the second half, we would have won that game. If nothing else, we need to find his complement or replacement.

With all these guard-types on our team, two former 3rd rounders riding the pine, you would think someone better than Reynolds would step forward, other than a rookie we want to play center. One way or another, this has got to be resolved.

Pass rush is our obvious weakness. TD WILL be putting some resources into finding some players. I am still hoping for a 3 man line look myself.

A big NT type is needed. If a Grady Jackson type can be found in FA as a stopgap, I am all for it.

If we can go Pass Rusher, Guard, RB, and NT in the first four rounds of the draft, not necessarily in that order, I am all in. Get a TE LB and CB later on.

The more I think about this I am becoming convinced that this is conditioning. The fact that it continued to get worse as the season wore on and especially in the post season speaks to it. Beginning of the year they came out motivated in the 2nd half. I keep hearing Jimmy Johnson in my mind "fatigue makes cowards of us all". I believe that we were operating under the premise that we must keep our guys fresh but it was not working like what they expected. The fact they were not taxing the players cardio conditioning did not allow them to be ready for the long haul. I think the fact that Fish was fired shows that the Falcons Brass were not ignorant to that fact and that this was a continuing theme from previous years. I believe that the lack of adjustment last year was not the only problem but a combination of both. I believe this year that it was primarily this conditioning problem. Then again I may be overthinking it.

Edited by dunc71

It was something I thought about during the playoffs, when I was watching Julio and Roddy catch balls in tight little windows while our opposition looked like they were fair catching punts when catching passes.

laugh.png

Man, I hate that sounded so funny....but true at the same time. I'm a scrawny old man illustrator but I'm pretty sure I could have completed those passes to Zach Miller and Vernon Davis.

What am I saying? Stevie Wonder could have completed those passes.

1: get some bulk and speed on the defense so tackles can actually be made(yes it is possible to stop an opposing player in other ways than shoulder bumping them out of bounds, it's called tackling). Guys like decoud, Samuel, our lbs and des and sometimes DTs are too small, skinny, wimpy and afraid to make tackles.

2: Get some beef in both trenches. Both our o and d line are undersized and pretty weak, which is why we get no run push or run stopping push on either side of the ball Some big Alabama boys could help on o. D line could be fixed with fa. And a few draft picks

3: Play physical at the line if scrimmage!!! I was so tired of seeing Samuel and Robinson wimpy a**es playing 30 yards off the line of scrimmage. Why not just give them the first down. That's what they were pretty much doing. Teams noticed it to with quick slants and wr screens. That's why seatless pass d was pretty good. They added seconds on opposing wr routes which allowed their pass rush to get in. We can't do it with our corners now, Samuel would get picked up and thrown and Robinson would give himself a concussion. So I suggest bigger faster corners as both of ours seemed pretty slow

Gotta add a fourth. WR depth. If Julio or Roddy goes down were toast. Not sure on TE. Depends on Gonzalez and how Coffman and Palmer have progressed

Otherwise I agree with you. I think it's possible we may yet have the long term answer to OG on roster. Could see Clabo kicked inside, Baker resigned and Holmes starting

Thats about it bro. I noticed that when it comes to preparing for a team...we excel...but making halftime adjust. we fail...that must change. Pass rush is a must! DT or DE...whatever but i see us bringing at least three new bodies via FA/Draft. Lastly we need a back whos explosive and hits the hole hard and fast. I think we hit OL in FA...get a back in the draft.

My sentiments exactly.

Otherwise I agree with you. I think it's possible we may yet have the long term answer to OG on roster. Could see Clabo kicked inside, Baker resigned and Holmes starting

Kinda like this Salmon...I may be in the minority with this take but I always thought (and still think) that Clabo's questionable footwork makes him better suited for guard than tackle.

It actually seemed like to me our guys were tired and wore down at the end of the season. Mostly the D, they seemed tired and flat in the playoffs. Maybe this is why Fish got fired?

As far as changes I want a RB, RG and TE unless Coffman can play either through the draft or FA on O.

As far as D a FA DE then draft another DE high in the draft unless nobody good is left. Add a big NT that actually play not just a big guy to have one. Add a KR/PR.

That's what I want. Possibly some changes in the secondary and LB area. Add more depth after this.

Hard to pinpoint just three things, but here goes,

1. Find a consistent run game. Whether it's through improving the O line or acquiring a running back, it needs to be done ( probably both).

2. On defense the Falcons need playmakers and maulers in the front seven.

3. Special teams needs some speed in the return game. I would like to see more impact plays on special teams. Blocked field goals, return for touchdown , or just something to give the team a spark.

Most of the things are heavily predicated on TD pulling out a good/great draft and efficiently maneuvering through free agency.

Edited by Sui_Generis

Split the draft into 3rds- first 2 picks- DE & DL

2nd third- next 2 picks- RB & TE

last 3rd - 2 picks on raw guys with blazing speed to be PR/KR first year or so, develop into 4th WR or nickel corner.

Alan Bonner from Jacksonville State. He's about Harry Douglas' size, but I think he has better hands, and probably better speed.