I Don't Always Agree With Saxby Chambliss But....

capologist

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this plan, I would've had to pay $11,200 in tax on my car. Right now I give roughly $15k in taxes personally every year. This plan can go **** itself.

Do you buy a new car every year? Under the fair tax you'd take home that extra $15k and then decide how you want to pay taxes. So if you buy a car once every 5 years, that's $11k in taxes every 5 years on the car, but you've taken home an extra $75k in income. Sure, you'll buy other stuff to offset that, but as you can imagine, it would promote savings.

The rich would be the ones most impacted by a fair tax. They aren't going to tolerate a BMW out of warranty.

Do you buy a new car every year? Under the fair tax you'd take home that extra $15k and then decide how you want to pay taxes. So if you buy a car once every 5 years, that's $11k in taxes every 5 years on the car, but you've taken home an extra $75k in income. Sure, you'll buy other stuff to offset that, but as you can imagine, it would promote savings.

The rich would be the ones most impacted by a fair tax. They aren't going to tolerate a BMW out of warranty.

Not to mention price increases would only be 1 to 2%

How is the burden not shifted towards the middle? It has been a little since I have taken economics, but every economics class I have taken as considered sales taxes as regressive taxes.

If you want to go on pure percentages, yes, it would shift the burden but when you get to keep your whole paycheck without that huge chunk taken out and then go to the store and things are only 2% higher than they are now--who cares about percentages? I guarantee you the "rich" will be outspending the poor and middle class not to mention the tourists and illegals paying their share...

You agreed that percentage wise the burden would be shifted towards the middle class. why would your logical situation matter? The middle and poor would pay a higher % of their income in that system.

Lets not even bring up the whole used car scenario, which shows how it adversely affects the automotive business.