Cbssports Review Of Falcons Loss To Niners

Big_Dog

Pretty accurate assessment by Prisco.

I just watched the all 22 of the 4th down play and Tony was open but in the infamous screenshot you see floating around it's already too late. The ball should have gone to Tony as soon as Ryan completed his drop.

Here's something else you don't see from the screenshot but see from the all 22. The ball is snapped at about the 11 yard line. Roddy makes his break at the 5 which Prisco's screen shot shows. If you look at the other screen shot that's floating around you'll see Bowman draped over Roddy at the 6... Bowman basically pushed Roddy 1 yard back... illegal contact.

Also you need to see the all 22 video to really appreciate this but Bowman clearly held Roddy as he was cutting across. It look liked Ryan threw it to Roddy to draw attention to this but no flag was thrown.

So Tony was open and the better option but Ryan missed him and the Refs missed Bowman's PI. In the end it probably should not have come down to that play.

But for all of those thinking that Ryan 'lost the game' you really need to go back and think about that game. Ryan didn't lose the game... he just didn't win it for us at the end and to me those are two different things.

Edited by Sun Tzu 7

Guest Negatorris

Good review. A couple of plays from the Superbowl(just like the Niners and Ravens last year), and people want to b*tch and moan. We're lucky to even have been playing in that game after giving up 21 straight points in the 4th quarter...

I'm sorry but Prisco is an idiot for suggesting Ryan throw all the way across the field when on his rollout. Forget the fact that he doesn't mention that this is like a 40+ yard throw, but there is a DB within 7-10 yards of Tony in that still photo.

Pretty good assessment from Prisco. But bottom line.....we blew a 17 point lead, and they outplayed us, from mid-way 2nd, on.

I HATE it, but apparently it just wasn't our year. Furthermore, with the schedule we've been dealt for next year, it may not be ours, either.

I still think we could have beat any other team than S. F. Kaepernick was HOT.....his teammates sensed it, and they proceeded to seize the moment.....and we didn't...

Furthermore, with the schedule we've been dealt for next year, it may not be ours, either.

I hear ya, but remember, we say that EVERY single year. The lone year we didn't make the play-offs in this regime was the year when a slew of key starters missed several games.

If we stay healthy, I find it extremely hard to believe we don't make the play-offs next year.

Now, whether or not we get a bye again, that's another story ....

I hear ya, but remember, we say that EVERY single year. The lone year we didn't make the play-offs in this regime was the year when a slew of key starters missed several games.

If we stay healthy, I find it extremely hard to believe we don't make the play-offs next year.

Now, whether or not we get a bye again, that's another story ....

Yep, we had it all going for us this year, and just couldn't make it happen.

And like you say, barring key injuries, and a smart draft/free agency, I can see us going to the Playoffs again, this coming up season. Just don't think it'll be near as easy as it was this year!

But hey, in recent memory, a "Bye" hasn't given a team any advantage, anyway.....if anything, a DIS-advantage.

So, if we make it to the Playoffs again, we might have to run the table all the way up to the Super Bowl. Hard to do....but, we'll see...

Yep, we had it all going for us this year, and just couldn't make it happen.

And like you say, barring key injuries, and a smart draft/free agency, I can see us going to the Playoffs again, this coming up season. Just don't think it'll be near as easy as it was this year!

But hey, in recent memory, a "Bye" hasn't given a team any advantage, anyway.....if anything, a DIS-advantage.

So, if we make it to the Playoffs again, we might have to run the table all the way up to the Super Bowl. Hard to do....but, we'll see...

People said the EXACT same thing after 2010

And 2 years later we had the same record, same seed and took a step further.

It all depends on health and making smart and maybe even risky moves.

I do not know about trading away 4 additional picks for a guy again but if there is an impact player in the draft we have shown we are not affraid of going after them.

despite what SOME people think we do not needa massive overhaul just some tweeks. With those tweeks and a healthy team 11,12 even 13 wins would not be out of the question.

"This isn't to pin the loss on Ryan. Unlike most, I think he played his *** off. If not for him, the Falcons aren't even in the game. He was calm. He was poised. He was accurate. And, truth be known, he should have had a touchdown pass on that play to Harry Douglas on the final drive. But Douglas fell down. I will show that play a little later."

Pretty good assessment - but he's out of his mind if he thinks Ryan, with that shoulder should have turned on the roll out and thrown the ball back across his body. Not that it would have changed the outcome of the game in hindsight - but it most likely would have been picked right there - basically ending it.

"This isn't to pin the loss on Ryan. Unlike most, I think he played his *** off. If not for him, the Falcons aren't even in the game. He was calm. He was poised. He was accurate. And, truth be known, he should have had a touchdown pass on that play to Harry Douglas on the final drive. But Douglas fell down. I will show that play a little later."

I agree with you. It's just ashame we came so very close to scoring at the end.

Very good review.

I have two other plays that I thought could have made a difference.

1- One was the run play on the last series by Quizz. Up to that point we had only passed in that drive with great effectiveness. That run play was a waste of down that came back to bite us.

2- The other play was the third down incomplete pass to Quizz in the first quarter that Bowman broke down. In that play, Quizz had an easy TD if Matt had realized that Bowman had a shot to get a hand on the ball. All Matt needed to do was to put a little arc on the ball and that would have been a TD instead of FG.