What's The Point Of This Mock?

Red Rain

What's the point of this mock?

1. Zach Ertz - TE Stanford - 6-6, 252 (Or Tyler Eifert - TE ND)

This is simply a value pick. It's very unusual to get an impact (or even a half decent) DE or DT at pick #30. On the other hand, it's pretty common to find impact TE's at this spot. It's a need and the best value. Odd are at least one of these guys will be available.

2. John Simon - DE/LB Ohio State - 6-2, 256

Simon played DE in college, but will probably be a rush linebacker in the NFL.

3. Brandon Williams - DT Missouri Southern State - 6-2, 341

Played against a lower level of competition, but has all the attributes of a nose tackle. More agile than his size would indicate (was on his high school basketball team. Has excellent academics.

2012- A preseason All-American by multiple media outlets, Williams has been named to four different All-American teams (Coaches, AP, Beyond Sports Network and Daktronics) ... He was the MIAA Defensive Player of the Year, as well as being named both Regional (Daktronics) and National (BSN) Defensive Players of the Year... Williams became the all-time sacks leader for the school and finished with 27 in his career at Missouri Southern. He had at least a half sack in all but three games this year and had a tackle for a loss in all but one game. He finished the season second on the team with 68 tackles, 31 solo, including 16.5 for a loss of 58 yards. He had 8.5 sacks for a loss of 39 yards, two pass break ups, eight quarterback hurries, five forced fumbles and one safety on the season and finished third in the MIAA in sacks and tackles for a loss, while ranking second in forced fumbles.

4. Nico Johnson - ILB Alabama - 6-3, 245

5. Omoregie Uzzi - OG Georgia Tech - 6-3, 302

6. Micah Hyde - CB Iowa - 6-0, 196, 4.5/40

12/03/12 - 2012 ALL-BIG TEN FIRST TEAM (COACHES): DB Micah Hyde, Iowa, has been selected First Team All-Big Ten (Coaches selection) for the 2012 college football season. Hyde completed the season with 78 tackles, including 44 solo stops. He led the team with 14 pass breakups, forced two fumbles, and had one interception. He recovered three fumbles, one of which he returned for a touchdown against Purdue.

Hyde (6-foot-1, 190 pounds) is a native of Fostoria, Ohio. He started all 38 games over his final three seasons and played in all 51 games throughout his career. He recorded 240 career tackles to tie for 34th on Iowa's career tackle list. He is tied for 18th in career interceptions (8-142 yards) and had four forced and three recovered fumbles in his career. He had interception returns of 72 and 66 yards for touchdowns as a sophomore - the 10th and 12th-longest returns in school history. Hyde averaged 7.5 yards on 27 punt returns the last two seasons. He earned second-team All-Big Ten honors in 2011, and was honorable mention in 2010. - Iowa football

10/10/12 - Iowa cornerback Micah Hyde says he made a stupid mistake and let a lot of people down after being arrested in Iowa City last weekend. Hyde apologized to his family, coaches and teammates on Tuesday in his first public comments since being booked on suspicion of public intoxication and interference with official acts early last Saturday. Coach Kirk has removed Hyde, a three-year starter, as a team captain.

7. Jake Stoneburner - TE Ohio State - 6-5, 24

Really a special teams pick, but how can you resist a guy named Stoneburner? Played TE, WR, & H-Back in college.

I have yet to understand why you guys want to blow a first rounder on a TE. If we're going offensive skill position in the first, I'd rather pick a rb or even a wide out. TE talent goes waaaay to deep to be picked 1st round.

TE talent is deep, and I like several FAs that might come at a decent bargain, thus leaving us with our earlier picks for defense...Plus seeing the years Gonzo just had, I think they would really look at ATL...ie J. Cook, D. Keller (I think we could be very good for us)...

So we should give the defense a dead giveaway as to when we plan on running plays where the TE is a receiving threat?

I kind of agree with this. I think Koetter is smart enough to not let defenses key on that TOO much, but IMO we will fare much better with a TE that is good at blocking and receiving. You can get one in rds 3-4ish.

The OP does have a point though about the value, we'd be getting one of the top 2 TE's and at DE we gonna get like the 7th best lol. Personally I'd go LB or NT with the first overall pick, get whichever one of those I didn't grab in the first, and take the best TE/DE available in the 3rd-4th. Use the 5th on the best power back we can get and address secondary depth from there.