Frustrating Stat/fact From Championship Game:

FalconsIn2012

Just ran across this little tidbit and it made me cringe with thinking about what should have been. I keep hearing about how the vaunted Niners defense made adjustments to shut us out in the 2nd half...but Im not buying it. We shut ourselves out. Niners did very little to stop our offensive production which is why we put up nearly 500 yards, out-gaining SF by about 100 yards (not that yards really matter though). Our offense really started to gel in the last quarter of the season and I think they continue to improve in 2013, which should make the NFC South a little bit apprehensive...or downright afraid to the point of a certain team re-instituting an undisclosed "bounty" program.

From Elias: The Falcons gained 477 yards but lost the NFC title game at home to the 49ers, setting an NFL postseason record for most yards gained by a team in a postseason loss at home (neutral-field Super Bowls are not included). The previous record was the total of 472 yards gained by the Dolphins in that classic overtime loss to the Chargers in the playoffs following the 1981 season.

I think all the people bitching about the offense needs to go back to 2010 when we scored just 14 offensive points against the Packers and 0 offensive points against the Giants. Would that make people happy?

Oh and Falconsin2012 this isn't personally directed at you.

I know what you mean and don't take it personally. I think you know I love our team and think our offensive unit is elite. A little more balance and they transition from elite to best in the league IMO.

I know what you mean and don't take it personally. I think you know I love our team and think our offensive unit is elite. A little more balance and they transition from elite to best in the league IMO.

Yep. A better running game would help. We actually were doing decent running the ball against the Niners until Turner got hurt in the 2nd quarter.

Guest Negatorris

We had that game. That's what bugs me. 49ers didn't win it. We gave it to them. But that's old news looking forward to 2013 and going to the SB in New York

SB is probably gonna be played in snow.

Just ran across this little tidbit and it made me cringe with thinking about what should have been. I keep hearing about how the vaunted Niners defense made adjustments to shut us out in the 2nd half...but Im not buying it. We shut ourselves out. Niners did very little to stop our offensive production which is why we put up nearly 500 yards, out-gaining SF by about 100 yards (not that yards really matter though). Our offense really started to gel in the last quarter of the season and I think they continue to improve in 2013, which should make the NFC South a little bit apprehensive...or downright afraid to the point of a certain team re-instituting an undisclosed "bounty" program.

From Elias: The Falcons gained 477 yards but lost the NFC title game at home to the 49ers, setting an NFL postseason record for most yards gained by a team in a postseason loss at home (neutral-field Super Bowls are not included). The previous record was the total of 472 yards gained by the Dolphins in that classic overtime loss to the Chargers in the playoffs following the 1981 season.

That's a tough one..

But I guess that's what happens when the only thing that works is the passing game, and when you have a defense that cannot stop the offense, or even force a couple of FGs instead of TDs.

We'd also never lost a game at home when Ryan's at a 100+ rating. Not a one.

That streak was actually broken at New Orleans this year, when Matt put up a 100.7 rating. But this is the first game the Falcons ever lost when Matt had a QB rating of at least 101.

Some might disagree, but this loss was on the defense any way you slice it. Falcons were fortunate to get past the Seahawks with the D's 2nd half collapse and their 4th qtr collapse against the 9ers , which imo, just reinforces my belief why we are talking about what could have been, and are forced to deal with the reaility thatwe are currently faced with.

Edited by vabchbirdlover

We had that game. That's what bugs me. 49ers didn't win it. We gave it to them. But that's old news looking forward to 2013 and going to the SB in New York

That's another thing that depresses me. Even if we make it to the Super Bowl next year it will be outdoors in the cold and/or rain. We had a better chance indoors this year.

just gonna jump in here with a tidbit I just picked up. OP's name is 2012, is this another thread from a whiney just jumped on the bandwagon fan? Stats are all great and stuff, but the loss comes down to:either we didn't make the play when we needed to, or they did make plays when they needed to.

We once again saw our teams inability to play a complete game, and this time, we couldn't pull out the last second heroics for the win.

just gonna jump in here with a tidbit I just picked up. OP's name is 2012, is this another thread from a whiney just jumped on the bandwagon fan? Stats are all great and stuff, but the loss comes down to:either we didn't make the play when we needed to, or they did make plays when they needed to.

We once again saw our teams inability to play a complete game, and this time, we couldn't pull out the last second heroics for the win.

Yep, OP is most definitely a whiny bandwagon fan. Can't stand these type of people...lol. J/k. The moniker I use is simply because I signed up in 2012 and honestly felt this was our year. Unfortunately, I was a year too soon in my prediction. But I've been a Falcobs Dan since moving to Georgia from Toronto in 1985. Definitely not a bandwagon fan.