I really want to keep Grimes here. I realize with Dunta, Asante, and McClain we have a solid trio of CB's, but I really want to keep him. Asante and Dunta are both in or close to their 30's. I know Grimes is too. He is a much better cover corner than Dunta and while Dunta hits harder you can make the argument that Grimes is a better overall tackler. As mentioned above, he is in or near 30 and coming off an achilles injury so the guy is not going to require a big contract to keep. He would be foolish to try the FA market in search for a better contract with all that going on. Especially considering he has been with us for a few years now and we are a legit SB contender.

I want to keep him, but obviously that is only if he will accept a decent contract. Also, Dunta restructuring his contract could go along way. I would even be fine with releasing Dunta and signing Grimes.

Facing teams like Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, Giants, etc. who have depth at WR you can never have enough CB's. If we were able to get those main 3 under contract as well as sign McClain to a cheap deal and even draft a guy like Tyrann Mathieu in the 4th or 5th then we would easily have the bet CB's in the league.

Thoughts?

Edited by Clark Kent

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would choose Grimes over Dunta 10 times out of 10, but only if we (the staff) knows he can still perform at a high level and if he is willing to take less money than what he is expecting. All I can say is that if we so resign him, I hope we draft another guy just incase Grimes goes down again, because as of late he has been a little injury bitten.

He will absolutely test the FA market there is no reason not to.

Other teams have a bigger need at cb than we do also this will be his only big payday he will get in his career so I see him getting a larger contract from a team willing to risk more for him.

I honestly think it is a 10% chance he is a Falcon next year.

He will absolutely test the FA market there is no reason not to.

Other teams have a bigger need at cb than we do also this will be his only big payday he will get in his career so I see him getting a larger contract from a team willing to risk more for him.

I honestly think it is a 10% chance he is a Falcon next year.

I just don't see many teams who are willing to give a huge pay day to a 30 year old CB who is coming of a torn Achilles. Its possible, you are right about other teams being in more need of him than us. I am hoping that at this point in his career that he wants to play on a contender for his last few seasons. Hopefully TD can approach him 1st with an acceptable offer.

I would choose Grimes over Dunta 10 times out of 10, but only if we (the staff) knows he can still perform at a high level and if he is willing to take less money than what he is expecting. All I can say is that if we so resign him, I hope we draft another guy just incase Grimes goes down again, because as of late he has been a little injury bitten.

Agreed.

When you compare Grimes and Dunta you can tell that Grimes has that athletic ability like Steve Smith (Carolina) meaning that he will not hit a steep decline in his athleticism in his 30's. Dunta is the exact opposite to me. His body type is different. Might sound stupid, but i promise you I can tell.

I just don't see many teams who are willing to give a huge pay day to a 30 year old CB who is coming of a torn Achilles. Its possible, you are right about other teams being in more need of him than us. I am hoping that at this point in his career that he wants to play on a contender for his last few seasons. Hopefully TD can approach him 1st with an acceptable offer.

Problem with the "play for a winner" is it is usually players who have made the big contract which Grimes hasn't if he is thinking about long term he will be attempting to cash in this season.

And teams will give him a contract 6 mill + per year.

Agreed.

When you compare Grimes and Dunta you can tell that Grimes has that athletic ability like Steve Smith (Carolina) meaning that he will not hit a steep decline in his athleticism in his 30's. Dunta is the exact opposite to me. His body type is different. Might sound stupid, but i promise you I can tell.

He could hit a sharp decline now that he has been injured 2 years in a row to his legs which is what he gets all his ability from.

Problem with the "play for a winner" is it is usually players who have made the big contract which Grimes hasn't if he is thinking about long term he will be attempting to cash in this season.

And teams will give him a contract 6 mill + per year.

Well he made 10.2 million dollars last year as a franchised player. Thats a good chunk of change. Especially for a guy who was pretty much a nobody. He doesn't seem like one of those materialistic diva type. And if he were younger yeah i could see a decent sized contract, but no one is going to offer him more than maybe a 3 year 12-15m deal probably. He would be 33 ish by the time that contract is up.

exactly what did he do in the postseason to help us other than to go fetch gatorrade

So you're basically going to overlook his performance during the regular season and only look at the postseason? I'm guessing you expected him to ball out like a Revis?

Now who's overrating him?

Dunta is setting himself up to be one of those guys with mental issues in later life because of head trauma. Scary and sad, but probably true.

Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if he crippled himself one day with the way he leads with his head.