Falcanuck's Early Mock

Falcanuck

The Falcons need to make some moves this offseason. They need to get younger, faster and bigger. Guys like Brent Grimes need to be passed on for this to happen. Turner will inevitably be cut and Dunta will need to restructure (again) if he wants to remain on the team. Frankly, with the emergence of McClain, losing Dunta and Grimes will not be a big of a deal. It was clear the corner play wasn't what killed us in the playoffs (S and LBs are responsible for the TE).

Notable re-signings:

William Moore, S

Vance Walker, DT

Sam Baker, LT

Chris Hope, S

Robert McClain, CB

Chris Owens, CB

Garrett Reynolds, RG (Konz moves to C)

Michael Palmer, TE

Antone Smith, RB

Let walk:

Mike Cox, FB

Brent Grimes, CB

Luke McCown, QB (I wouldn't mind Dom getting the snaps McCown got in practice. Although McCown appeared to be a positive, constructive voice for Ryan on the sidelines)

Lawrence Sidbury, DE

Cut:

Dunta Robinson, CB

Michael Turner, RB

Dominique Franks, CB

Retire:

Tony Gonzalez, TE

Todd McClure, C (recently stated he would return for another year, but I doubt he will be offered a contract, thus leading to his retirement)

Mike Peterson, LB

Trade:

Peria Jerry, DT, for a 7th

Extend:

Matt Ryan, QB

These moves will leave the team with a nice amount of cap wiggle room.

FAs:

Danny Amendola, WR (Rams are hesitant to sign and will not tag Amendola because of his injury history. While

his injuries are a concern, Amendola is an extremely reliable and underrated middle-of-the-field receiver.)

Dustin Keller, TE (A stop-gap replacement for Tony. Nowhere near Gonzalez's ability; however, Keller will come cheap- he had an off season and, right now, nobody wants to be a Jet.)

Henry Melton, DT (Top-5 DT in the league. Young, disruptive and confident. Would cost a lot, but is worth it- especially with the state of the Falcons' pass rush being where it is. Would be surprising if he were not tagged by the Bears if he did not resign, but the Falcons must capitalize if he is not.)

Osi Umenyiora, DE (Offer soft contract. Nothing big. If he bites, great. If not, oh well.)

Draft:

1st Round - Alec Ogletree, LB, 6-3 232

Will likely be gone by the #30 pick, but will not be picked higher than #20 because of size concerns. A 3rd or 4th would need to be offered to jump 5-8 picks. For this mock's sake, let's pretend the Falcons give their 4th. This guy is worth it, though. Yes, his size is a concern, but his overall ability is a need for the Falcons' defence. Being a former safety he can cover extremely well (remember, TEs have burned us), and has exceptional sideline-to-sideline speed. He always seems to be around the ball.

2nd Round - Alex Okafor, DE, 6-4, 260

Big reach here. His stock has been plummeting lately for reasons unknown while projects like Hunt and Ansah rise; still, it will take a miracle to last until #60. Let's just hope for that miracle. Great player, quick and good size. Hopefully can take over for Abe when he retires. I wouldn't even be opposed to moving up 5-10 picks (again) to get him using a pick from next year.

3rd Round - Mike Gillislee, RB, 5-11 209

The general consensus pick at RB for us that I have seen from mocks. For good reason, too. A great all-around back. Can basically do it all and would be a day 1 starter for the Falcons. Quizz would likely still be brought in on third downs. However, this pick is a little high for Gillislee and his stock continues to rise. I'd love to have him, regardless.

4th Round - Hugh Thornton, G, 6-3 313

A solid prospect to bolster the RG position. He's not a massive mauler like some others in the draft, but is a very solid player. Is also a wrestler, meaning he his nimble for a big man and understands leverage. Good with his hands. Very strong.

5th Round - Tyrann Mathieu, CB/KR/PR, 5-9 180

Yes. 5th round. Nobody will touch him earlier. And why would the Falcons want him? He brings a unique style of play to the defence that nobody else has and can be used sparingly. He also has an attitude/confidence to his game that is a definite need. Keep in mind, he would only be used in the nickel and never on the outside. Mathieu is a great football player, but is by no means a "cover corner". His ability to return kicks well is also a dire need of the Falcons.

6th Round - G

7th Round - LB

7th Round - RT

As a result the Falcons would posses a very fast, explosive defence with a solid defensive line. Their pass rushing woes would likely be solved, helping the secondary. The offensive line would still be weak, but with Konz at C and Reynolds healthy I believe they become a better unit. A replacement for Turner is found. As is a solid kick returner. Also, the loss of Tony in the middle becomes bearable with the addition of Amendola and Keller.

**** YES, I know this is a dream scenario, but whatever eh ****

Before these senior bowl practices it definitely was dropping. Hunt and Ansah passed him on most boards.

Well he had a great bowl game but yeah before that he was getting placed behind people like Ansah and Jordan, but I still think some scouts rank those guys higher so we still should have a realistic shot at drafting him

Ogletree's size will not hurt his draft stock. He's about the size of The Hammer, but about 4 inches taller. If he goes HAM at the Combine (Similar to Julio Jones), he will go top 10.

He has trouble shedding blocks at times. He is not big enough to power through guards and centers.

Not Bad OP.

Ogletree would probably play the WILL in a 43 if we chose to use him I love that pick.

I'm not overly in love with the Okafor pick though I just got a sneaking suspicion that he is at his peak as a player and his ceiling isn't what I think everyone else thinks it is.That is just a personal opinion of mine.

Gillislee I like he's a tough kid runs between the tackles and is shifty,throw in home run speed and your on a winner with him.

Not Bad OP.

Ogletree would probably play the WILL in a 43 if we chose to use him I love that pick.

I'm not overly in love with the Okafor pick though I just got a sneaking suspicion that he is at his peak as a player and his ceiling isn't what I think everyone else thinks it is.That is just a personal opinion of mine.

Gillislee I like he's a tough kid runs between the tackles and is shifty,throw in home run speed and your on a winner with him.

If we landed Okafor in the second (not going to happen) I don't think there is any way to be mad with the pick haha.

That's an interesting draft. I like the first two for sure. No issue with Gillislee one way or another. I think its his style that I' not in love with. You have to know, that I don't like the idea of the Honey Badger. He's trouble man. But its a good mock and I like risks like that.

I know, the Honey Badger is an idiot. That being said, this team needs to take some risks. Vontaze and Janoris paid MAJOR dividends.

I'll say no.I want to see really what we have in HD now that probably TG has retired....**** it..

I'd rather go with what we have and get someone like Reggie Bush in FA that is if we don't choose to get a RB in the draft.

The problem is that HD is not a possession receiver. He is extremely explosive, but his hands are suspect. Amendola has some of the best hands in football, like Gonzalez did.

Not Bad OP.

Isn't Spoon the WLB?

If we landed Okafor in the second (not going to happen) I don't think there is any way to be mad with the pick haha.

I know, the Honey Badger is an idiot. That being said, this team needs to take some risks. Vontaze and Janoris paid MAJOR dividends.

I actually thought we were taking Vontaze. That was sick that we didn't. The only thig wrong with him is that he has throwback MLB issues.

That's an interesting draft. I like the first two for sure. No issue with Gillislee one way or another. I think its his style that I' not in love with. You have to know, that I don't like the idea of the Honey Badger. He's trouble man. But its a good mock and I like risks like that.

If he goes late I wouldn't mind taking Honey Badger (special teams return man), but because "he's trouble" the Falcons probably will not take him. I want the Falcons to be explosive in all three phases of the game.