Post Senior Bowl Mock

vel

1. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

Right now, Okafor is the best DE we will be able to get at #30. I have grown to like Okafor and he is showing well at the Senior Bowl. He is winning majority of his match ups. The only one he's struggled with is Eric Fisher, who looks like a top 10 pick, but he's beaten him a few times as well. His hand use is great, he's violent and he can rush the passer and stop the run. He's starting to be our popular pick around here.

2. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA

I mocked Datone Jones to us in November. I told you guys he is difficult to contain and he's showing it at the Senior Bowl. I have him as a lock in the second round as he isn't a first round talent and will get jumped over by guys like Hunt with higher ceilings. Datone Jones has great hand use, something we lack across our DLine. That falls on Ray Hamilton. Guys like Massaquoi and Sidbury aren't developing. Jones is a big guy at 6'4 280, but he's fast and explosive. He beat Eric Fisher at the Senior Bowl, one of the few guys who has done that. He's inconsistent and can disappear but can rush from inside and outside. 19 TFLs last season.

3. Travis Frederick, OG, Wisconsin

I have Frederick falling similar to how Konz fell due to lack of post-season "All Star" play. Players like Winters and Quessenberry are making pushes up the board right now, more OTs and OGs than Cs, which is what Frederick is right now. This fills our RG spot with a road grader and a guy who Konz is already familiar with. Strong as an ox also. Let's finally put a head on this RG spot.

4. Christine Michael, RB, TAMU

I like this guy. I was weary of him due to his injuries but he is a player. He sold me with his performance at the Shrine Game. Got a little AP to his game. Not saying he's like AP, but he's fluid, strong and runs tough with good vision. Let's replace the old #33 with the new #33.

4. Vance McDonald, TE, Rice

Vance is a serious sleeper. He has good, big hands (10" hands and 34" arms). That's a big catch radius and massive hands. He needs to stop double catching and get a little more physical. He's more in the mold of Heath Miller/Jason Witten. He can win his battles. Of course won't immediately replace Tony G, but he's a good player and other needs trump TE.

5. Montori Hughes, NT, UT-Martin

Montori is a big guy. He is good at anchoring and occasionally splits the double. 1v1 he will push you back into the play. He is showing well at the Senior Bowl and raising his stock. He is hard to push back because he anchors so well. He's wide frame helps a lot as well. 6'4 328.

6. David Bass, DE, Missouri Western

David Bass is a monster. He is a terror off the edge getting to the QB. Here is an excerpt about Bass at the Shrine Game:

The second is a big DE from Missouri Western State named David Bass. Not only does Bass come from the same state as Aldon Smith, they’re both similarly built players (Smith-6’4"/263/4.74 and Bass-6’4"/262/4.76). I had never heard of Bass until this week, but as soon as I did, I looked up his stats: 61 TT, 16 TFL, 11.5 Sacks, 2 INT, 7 PBU, and a FF. It’s a score of 72.9 on the defensive production grid. Bass’ junior year was even better, clocking in 55 TT, 20 TFL, 14.5 Sacks, 4 PBU, and a FF (score of 80.7). These scores put his production ahead of guys like Bjoern Werner, Ezekiel Ansah, Sam Montgomery, and Dion Jordan. Of course, those stats are against lesser competition. But the early word out of the Shrine practices is that Bass is standing out against Div I O-linemen.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/1/15/3879586/draft-spotlight-cooper-taylor-and-david-bass

Of course his level of competition is a concern, but the fact that he dominated and gave D1 players fits at the Shrine Game is promising. He would be a good guy to try and develop (fingers crossed since we never develop anything). He is smart too. He reads the QB's drop before he goes to get him. No point in try to rush a QB one a 3 step drop. You'll never get there. He puts his hands up and deflects the ball. Another good trait to have on the DLine.

7. Vince Williams, MLB, FSU

This is my guy. Vince Williams is an animal. He's a little inconsistent, but he is the kind of player I want on my team. He's built like a MLB. He reads his keys better than Dent and Nic. He's equally adept in man and zone. He would be a deep sleeper. LB is one of the positions that rookies transition to quickest. When he hits a block, the man is going backwards every time. I just like him. He's a football player. He's mean on the field. He has bad intentions and wants to hurt feelings.

This is a heavy defense draft. I add 5 players to our front 7. I let Sidbury walk in this instance. Adding Datone Jones gives us a bigger DE that can stop the run and rush the passer when we go heavy personnel. Okafor is a well rounded DE that we need. When we run 3-4 looks, Okafor and Jones on the same side would be like the Smith Brothers. Jones can command a double team. Hughes can command a double team. Abe commands double teams. Okafor can win 1v1s. That's what we need, violent men in the front 7 that also command double teams. There aren't enough men to double everyone.

I want to save this for after the Senior Bowl but I saw everybody getting on the David Bass train so I wanted to post it before it became cliche (Like the Warford/Gillislee combo).

This is pretty solid. I disagree with going DE twice in a row, would be better if we went DE and DT or vice-versa imo. Not a fan of McDonald, I think there are better tight ends you can take here. David Bass is really good, he's going to shoot up because he's pretty good rushing the passer and dropping back in coverage. All the players on the DL in my mock use their hands well, I believe it's a v. important quality for defensive lineman to have to impact ASAP.

I LOVE IT solid draft man, if Datone Jones is their in the second I'm all for it, Alex Okafor is a complete stud hands down. Travis Fredrick could potentially start day one as well, so you got two starters your first three picks and Datone Jones would come in for Abraham when he needs a rest.

Christan Michael I could live with for sure, not my favorite but if this is what are draft would be I'm all for it. Probably my favorite pick and might be an absolute steal is Vance MacDonald from Rice, is the best all around TE in this draft, can block and catch with the best of them, in senior bowl practice's he's really showing off as well.

Solid draft I would be happy if our draft turned out like this, thanks man !

Like your Mock .. but like mine better....

1 – (30) - Alex Okafor - DE

2 – (60) - Arthur Brown - OLB

3 – (92) - Cornellius Carradine - DE

4 – (124) - Vance McDonald - TE

4 – (Comp) - Stepfan Taylor - RB

5 – (156) - Kwame Geathers - DT

6 – (190) - Dalton Freeman - C

7 – (222) – John Sullen - OG

I actually wouldn't be mad if it happened like this, two guys at DE that I think can make an impact sooner than later. That leaves us with an issue at DT though and I'm not sure we can resolve that outside of the draft. Maybe Jordan Hill in the third in place of Fredrick, then we can hope McClure stays around and plays well next year. I don't know it could go either way, as much as I like the DE's I think we might need to go DE then DT just to make sure that's not so much of an issue next season.

Like your Mock .. but like mine better....

1 – (30) - Alex Okafor - DE

2 – (60) - Arthur Brown - OLB

3 – (92) - Cornellius Carradine - DE

4 – (124) - Vance McDonald - TE

4 – (Comp) - Stepfan Taylor - RB

5 – (156) - Kwame Geathers - DT

6 – (190) - Dalton Freeman - C

7 – (222) – John Sullen - OG

VERY seriously doubt Brown will be at our pick in the 2nd and just read an article about Taylor and they basically say he has one speed. He really doesn't have any burst. I figured this but anyway I would rather get someone else.

VERY seriously doubt Brown will be at our pick in the 2nd and just read an article about Taylor and they basically say he has one speed. He really doesn't have any burst. I figured this but anyway I would rather get someone else.

Taylor has been pretty amazing apparently so far in the senior bowl. Stoning every linebacker and showing a good second level burst. Seems to make all the right decisions as well with the ball in his hands. He'll rise.

Taylor has been pretty amazing apparently so far in the senior bowl. Stoning every linebacker and showing a good second level burst. Seems to make all the right decisions as well with the ball in his hands. He'll rise.

today Mayock compared him to Michael Turner, I thought that was pretty accurate lol, Joseph Randle is still my favorite back in this class tho.

• Johnathan Franklin, UCLA. Franklin had a good week for himself. What I noticed on him before was that it took him a while to get going following a handoff and that he didn't break a lot of tackles. Here, he had many carries where he had some good burst and did break tackles during team drills. He also did a nice job catching the ball all week, and with a bigger body than Kenjon Barner has the potential to be a capable three-down back.
  • Kenjon Barner, Oregon. Coming into the week he was my favorite rusher in the game. He didn't do anything to lose that spot but did get leapfrogged by Franklin. Their skill sets are the same save for Franklin's better blocking skills thanks to his bigger size and experience. But Barner is explosive and could compete for relevant playing time thanks to his speed and hands. There's a lot of potential in Barner without a ton of downside. His experience playing in Oregon's up-tempo offense will also appeal to coaching staffs looking for a back that has a history of endurance.
  • Mike Gillislee, Florida. What stood out the most was that Gillislee made plays every day. He doesn't have lightning speed but did show good burst and read his blockers well. He did a nice job in pass protection and also displayed nice hands. No one would call him a physical back but he looked good during Senior Bowl week following an impressive senior season at Florida.
  • Stepfan Taylor, Stanford. Taylor showed what his work in school showed: He can do just about anything except run with great speed. He looks bigger than the 216 pounds he weighed in at proved to be as versatile as the rest of the running backs in the class.
  • Robbie Rouse, Fresno State. If you're looking for a complete back, Rouse won 't do. But if you're looking for a role player in the mold of Darren Sproles, and maybe with stronger legs, then Rouse is your guy. He's diminutive to be sure, just under 5-foot-6, but he has incredible quickness and explosiveness. He'll make plays at the next level, just as he did in college when he scored 14 touchdowns and totaled over 1,700 yards in back-to-back years. Just don't expect him to become a full-time back.

He has been good but his speed and burst are a issue.

Edited by falcon90

Just to comment on some of the comments, I go DE 3 times for a reason. Okafor is a well rounded DE that can do it all. He replaces Edwards spot on the roster. I draft Datone Jones as the DE/DT mix. He can play LE in four man fronts and the 5 tech in 3 man fronts. He's long and has an advantage versus guys like Bab and Peters at the 5 tech spot. He replaces Sidbury on the roster. David Bass is a speed rusher. That's it right now. He learns for the year and works on the fundamentals. Taking these 3 allows us to let Abe rest a lot more and start preparing for life without him. With hybrid looks, lining Okafor and Jones up on the same side with Hughes anchoring in the middle would turn our front 7 into something potentially special.

We need to get aggressive in making this defense better. This is what this mock does. It ignores the WR and CB position, positions we don't need help in right now. We gave up the least passing TDs and have Roddy and Julio carrying the passing attack. If McDonald comes in and just helps move the chains and we have a stronger ground game, the offense won't miss a beat. Get a better pass rush and our secondary only gets better. Plus I want to take a shut down corner in the first next year and a dynamic LB in the second next year after seeing if Nic can bounce back.

Replace Jones with Khaseem Greene and Hughes with Tavarres King and I'm down.

You should just give up your dreams for Khaseem Greene. He will not be in Falcons gear in 2013. He is 6'1 230. He is a converted safety. He is a 4-3 WLB only in the NFL. We already have Spoon at WLB. Spoon would be a waste of talent moved over to MLB full time. Greene is too small at MLB or SLB.

You should just give up your dreams for Khaseem Greene. He will not be in Falcons gear in 2013. He is 6'1 230. He is a converted safety. He is a 4-3 WLB only in the NFL. We already have Spoon at WLB. Spoon would be a waste of talent moved over to MLB full time. Greene is too small at MLB or SLB.

I want him at WLB. I know our ILB has been bad, but if you're watching us, pay attention to Stephen Nicholas...he's terrible in the pass game and mediocre in the run game. Greene is small, but he reminds me a little of a Bucs player named Lavonte David. They said he was too small...Greene hits like a truck, can cover a ton of field, has perfect pad level, is good in pass defense, has natural instincts, can rush the passer pretty well, and is great at moving off blocks. He's not the absolute strongest, but if he was a couple inches taller, he'd be a first round OLB.

Why hate it, people are just amusing themselves with draft talk. No big deal.

It's just that sheep mentality. 1 week ago today, Datone Jones was a relative unknown on these forums, then he has one or two good OL/DL 1-on-1 drill reps and people are jumping all over him and mocking him to us in the 1st or 2nd round. Montori Hughes is another guy, and that one thread in here about Vince Williams has everybody picking him out of nowhere. If a guy was a nobody before the senior bowl, them playing well AT the senior bowl doesn't instantly make them a must-have player.

I want him at WLB. I know our ILB has been bad, but if you're watching us, pay attention to Stephen Nicholas...he's terrible in the pass game and mediocre in the run game. Greene is small, but he reminds me a little of a Bucs player named Lavonte David. They said he was too small...Greene hits like a truck, can cover a ton of field, has perfect pad level, is good in pass defense, has natural instincts, can rush the passer pretty well, and is great at moving off blocks. He's not the absolute strongest, but if he was a couple inches taller, he'd be a first round OLB.

And do what with Spoon? Greene is a good player, but we already have his position filled. It's not like DE where we can have multiple and rotate them. Spoon is not a MLB. Greene is neither a MLB or SLB. It's a waste of a pick. Spoon needs to step it up.

It's just that sheep mentality. 1 week ago today, Datone Jones was a relative unknown on these forums, then he has one or two good OL/DL 1-on-1 drill reps and people are jumping all over him and mocking him to us in the 1st or 2nd round. Montori Hughes is another guy, and that one thread in here about Vince Williams has everybody picking him out of nowhere. If a guy was a nobody before the senior bowl, them playing well AT the senior bowl doesn't instantly make them a must-have player.

Been on the Datone Jones train since November. Yes, Montori was brought to my attention because of the Senior Bowl, but is that a bad thing? Have you watched him play or even know who he was before the Senior Bowl? No. And about Vince Williams. I was actually talking to my brother about him this past weekend before the Senior Bowl. I liked Bruce Taylor and Vince Williams' highlights we in the same page. My brother clicked it and we both liked what we saw.

Sorry you got your panties in a bunch over a measly mock draft. If they had any bearings on real life, I'd really be afraid of your reaction.