Falcsforlife's Mock Offseason

I used to be here alot and the draft is something I have always had a passion for. As it tends to do, life has gotten in the way and I haven't visisted the message boards or done a mock draft in a few years.

I haven't seen many that share my thoughts so i will be interested to see what type of feedback I get.

The recent rule changes in the NFL have significantly limited defenses ability to slow down the elite offenses and that has in-turn devalued defensive players. It is my beleif that the teams that embrace these changes will be the most successful.

Look at the 49ers D. This is the best the NFL has to offer and they had no chance of stopping the Atlanta offense on Sunday. The only thing that stopped them was themselves. San Fran has a team full of great defenders but they were useless. Guys like Patrick Willis were a non factor. What is the point in having great players on defense if the rules do not allow them to be effective?

With that in mind, my first goal is to build the best offense possible while not fully neglecting the defense.

Release/Let Go

Michael Turner - Cutting Turner frees up $3M.

Sam Baker - Baker was better this season but an elite LT is needed.

Dunta Robinson - Looking at Dunta's contract it almost had to be designed to cut him here. He has 3 years left with 29.5M in salary and only 2.8M in signing bonus.

Todd McClure - He has been a mainstay but I can't see resigning him at this point in his career.

Resign

Brent Grimes - Grimes' playmaking abililty was sorely missed this season. Unfortunatley for him, the Falcons can keep him for much cheaper than they could have a year ago.

William Moore - Moore is on the fringe of being an absolute beast. Could become a mainstay in the Pro Bowl for years to come.

Mike Cox - Solid cheap FB

Extend

Matt Ryan - Along with Blank, Dimitroff, and Smith, Ryan has carried this franchise to a level of consistant relevence that it had ever known. He should not have to go into the season worrying about his contract.

Free Agents

Brandon Albert - Near elite LT in his prime.

Brandon Myers - Myers broke out this season with 79 grabs for 806 yards and 4 scores. He's a reliable target who reminds me of Jason Witten.

Terr

Daryl Smith - The money may not be there for Smith because he is one of the better 4-3 OLB in the game. His value will be down after missing virtually the entire 2012 season. Perhaps his former coach can convence him to finish out his career in his home state.

Terence Knighton - Kinghton lost his starting spot for the Jags last season. A change of scenery could do him some good and he should come cheap. Worst case he is a BIG body for the rotation.

Draft

Round 1) Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama - Lacy's merits need little mention. We all saw what he is capible of on the biggest stage. He has proven he can carry the load but doesn't have much miles on his body. The team will not acheive it's ultimate goal without a solid running game.

Round 2) Jordan Reed, TE, Florida - The Hernandez comps are easy to make. Same team, same build, same skill set....not to mention Hernandez has actually tutored Reed and been a mentor of sorts. The guy is a flat out playmaker. Every Florida game I saw he popped off the screen.

Round 3) Nico Johnson, LB, Alabama - I'm not convinced he last this long but this is where his stock is right now. A solid player and potential starter.

Round 4) Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia - This is starting to look like a "newbie draft" with all SEC players but I like the values and they fit the needs. Geathers is a huge man and would be going alot higher next year if he would have went back to UGA.

Round 4 Comp) David Bass, DE, Missouri Western St. - Bass is an athletic player with good size. In 50 games he had 57 TFL and 39.5 sacks.

Round 5) Sanders Commings, CB/S, Georgia - Commings is a big physical corner who may be a better fit a safety in the NFL. I think he can provide flexability and depth to both positions. I think he is in the Brandon Browner mold. I was tempted by Mathieu here as a returner but the locker room is to good right now to risk adding a negative influenece.

The last couple of rounds are dart throws so I won't waist time there. C&C please.

I like the re sign of Grimes and letting go of Dunta, Really solid choice there. Free agent moves are solid, I too would love Albert here and since KC wants Albert to play OG now and Albert insists he is still a pro bowl LT I don't think he stay their so it could be a solid possibility, love Knington as well, definitely needs a change of scenery.

My biggest problem is the draft. You signed Myers who I think will be a stud especially in our offense so you waste the second on Jordan Reed ( Who I like) and don't at all address DE in the draft, Eddie Lacy in the first is a no for me, I just cannot justify spending a first on a runningback when there is solid starting caliber RB's available in the third round. the free agency and re-signing moves were solid, I just think that the draft was a bad choice.

If we went that route with the free agency and Re signing spot, I'd love for us to draft Okafor in the first, Chase Thomas from stanford in the second and Joseph Randle in the third to fill all of our problems we have.

Here's my thought's on Lacy:

There are solid starters later, but they are not true difference makers like Lacy could be. The falcons are an elite team and need difference makers to get them over the hump. It's the reason I loved the Julio Jones trade from day 1. Sure Kendall Wright is a solid starter but Julio Jones is a true difference maker.

Reed is just a player that i have always liked. I also like the mismatch you can create by having 2 weapons at the TE position. Plus no one guys can fill Tony G's shoes. I think Reed would be going alot higher if he had a competent QB at Florida.

DE is a need...no two ways about it. I do think with the other improvements to the Defense that Abes, Kroy and company can hold down the rotation for another year. I do like The potential Bass has as well and could see him getting into the rotation pretty soon.

I agree about getting over the hump, but I just think that we can get a solid RB in the later rounds. We need to get over the hump on defense and a new OLB might be that solution along with a new DE, there are so many in this draft so we have got to grab atleast one, our offense has so many weapons that adding another versatile TE isn't really needed, it would be if we had a lack of WR's which we don't. I do like the look tho and trust me Reed is one of my favorite players in this draft, I'm just dead set on going DE and DT in the first two picks to improve our defense, unless we go OLB and draft Chase Thomas from stanford, who also would contribute to the pass rush as he is known for at stanford.

There are solid starters later, but they are not true difference makers like Lacy could be. The falcons are an elite team and need difference makers to get them over the hump. It's the reason I loved the Julio Jones trade from day 1. Sure Kendall Wright is a solid starter but Julio Jones is a true difference maker.

Reed is just a player that i have always liked. I also like the mismatch you can create by having 2 weapons at the TE position. Plus no one guys can fill Tony G's shoes. I think Reed would be going alot higher if he had a competent QB at Florida.

DE is a need...no two ways about it. I do think with the other improvements to the Defense that Abes, Kroy and company can hold down the rotation for another year. I do like The potential Bass has as well and could see him getting into the rotation pretty soon.

i disagree lacy had completely dominant o line to play behind, we need a guy who can grind out yardage on his own, i dont think lacy is as good as his hype, we could get a guy like zach line out of SMU in the 6th round who can play that power role and grind out yardage without an elite line and use that first on a top DE which we desperately need. We are a few defensive moves away from a superbowl, i like your move with dunte and grimes, but if we go that route i think it would be best if we drafted a CB as well, there is solid talent later in the draft, we could take a chance on matthieu as you suggested or we could take a guy like darrious slay out of MSU. This guy would be ranked higher had he not been playing on the other side of jonathan banks.

I like your draft but I can see, and tend to agree with, Adam3328's point about your draft. Don't see the need for a rookie TE this year with our curent recievers plus a possible later WR pick which can play the slot helping Palmer/Coffman take the middle field which has been covered so well by Tony. We can't do everything this year and this could lend itself to a 'temporary fix' more easily than some other choices. Another thought about holding off on a TE, it may help with Ryan's maturing. He was so dependent on Tony that it may be a good thing for him to look more at the slot receiver and get use to that additional weapon.

Like Adam3328, IMO, Okafor, ChaseThomas and Joseph Randall would great picks in the 1st three rounds.

Edited by Walt

I am perfectly fine with Lacy as a RB. He is the total package, but if you are going to take a RB first and you already signed a TE who is a good all around TE and a solid pass catcher then why waste the 2nd pick on a tweener TE? You can get one of those later if you really want one. But if we have Myers, Peele, Coffman on the roster then i don't think we need a tweener.

I think DE needs to be addressed earlier than the 4th round.

I also am not a fan of releasing Baker even if we signed Albert. Baker played alot better this year. With Pat Hill as a coach and him being finally healthy he played well. He won't require a big contract to keep him either.

I would like to keep Dunta on the squad if he would be open to restructuring his contract.

"i disagree lacy had completely dominant o line to play behind"

How was is different from the line Trent Richardson played behind?

Lacy averaged 7 yards per carry in each of his first 2 years at Bama. I can't find stats for it but from the games I saw he has no problem racking up yards after contact.

I knew that Reed would not be a popular pick. I just do not consider it "wasting" a pick since he is such a weapon. The Patriots have such a huge advantage when Gronk and Hernandez are playing together and they can attack defenses in so many ways. I like that aspect....there is no way a defense can gameplan against it.

I knew that Reed would not be a popular pick. I just do not consider it "wasting" a pick since he is such a weapon. The Patriots have such a huge advantage when Gronk and Hernandez are playing together and they can attack defenses in so many ways. I like that aspect....there is no way a defense can gameplan against it.

The Pats also don't have two beasts on the outside at WR either :)

I definitely understand the thought process and i think most would be ok with it, but for me i just don't want to get that player so early in the draft with all the needs we have.

How was is different from the line Trent Richardson played behind?

Lacy averaged 7 yards per carry in each of his first 2 years at Bama. I can't find stats for it but from the games I saw he has no problem racking up yards after contact.

trent richardson didnt rack up major yardage this year, i think lacy will be good but i dont think hes worth a first when we can find talent just as good in later rounds. That my opinion though.

trent richardson didnt rack up major yardage this year, i think lacy will be good but i dont think hes worth a first when we can find talent just as good in later rounds. That my opinion though.

If there is someone that is just as good later then obviously that's the way to go. Who would that be?

Unless Lacy is the next AP then i'm good. We don't need to waste a first on a RB when our defense needs help bad.