Slightly Less But Still Somewhat Premature Position Only Mock

Kayoh

It is impossible to do an effective "BPA" mock draft so I'll stick to a position specific one with a list of players from that position that I'd like for us to draft.

Picks

1 (30)

2 (60)

3 (92)

4 (124)

4 (~132)

5 (~164)

6 (~204)

7 (~244)

7 (~250)

Picks

1: Defensive End

Tons of guys here with first round grades. If Werner, Moore, Mingo or Ansah falls to us, we run to the podium to pick them. If not, Alex Okafor, Datone Jones, or, worst case scenario, John Simon would fit. I know that we need a pass rusher, and we need one bad.

2: Defensive Tackle

Again, there should be quite a few guys left here. DL is luckily a very stacked position in this draft with guys like Lotulelei, Jenkins, Hankins, S.Williams, Richardson and Floyd all looking like top 40 picks. We need to hope that somebody drops to us either from that group (not likely) or from the second tier of DTs including Kawann Short, Jesse Williams, or, worst case scenario, Akeem Spence.

3: Defensive End

Yeah, we're double dipping already, and triple dipping if you consider the generic "DL" to be a position that can be counted as both DT and DE. Names I'm looking at here include Devin Taylor, Tank Carradine, and Michael Buchanan. High ceiling guys that can be coached up.

4: Running Game Improvement Pick

RG Alvin Bailey, RB Ray Graham, TE Michael Williams...take your pick. Something to improve our run game to balance the offense out a bit more so that we don't have more games like the one we had against Carolina in week 4 where we don't even try to run and let the defense pin their ears back and defend the pass.

4: Linebacker

A major weakness was revealed to us against Seattle and San Fransisco this postseason, and it needs addressed. There are a lot of very good, 3-down LBs this late in the draft that could be steals. Names that come to mind are Keith Pough, AJ Klein, Kevin Reddick, Sean Porter, Gerald Hodges and Jelani Jenkins. Tons of depth here and a bunch of talented guys.

5: Defensive Tackle, Take Two

Another double dip pick for the sake of both quantity and quality. There are a lot of guys that I like at this pick. Two bigger guys that stand out are Anthony Rashad White and Texas DT Brandon Moore. Two other guys that stand out but aren't necessarily as big are Josh Boyd and Abry Jones. If we take a penetrator like Short or Spence in the second round, then we grab a bigger guy here. If we take a big guy like Jesse Williams in the second, then we grab one of the more agile guys (Jones/Boyd) here. We want one of each.

6: Secondary Help

Asante won't last forever and there's a chance Brent Grimes and Dunta Robinson won't even last until next season. I hope the front office signs at least one of those guys back, as well as Robert McClain. That being said, though, the names that stand out as late round picks are Aaron Hester, who can be a lock-down man corner with proper coaching, and Sanders Commings, who might not be 6'1, but is still a solid cover corner. Demontre Hurst and Devin Smith are also guys that I wouldn't mind taking here.

7: Receiving Tight End

Ryan Otten, Matt Furstenburg, D.C. Jefferson, and anybody else who may fall to this pick (including possibly Travis Kelce) would be a suitable pick. We don't necessarily NEED a receiving tight end, but somebody who Matt can throw high and away from defenders in the end zone and can come down with it like Tony would be nice to have. Jared Cook is also an option to bring in as a FA who has similar ability to that, but it's always helpful to bring in young TEs to get the competition heated up.

7: Back

Back, as in HB or FB. I'm sure there'll be some left at this point, and if we didn't take one in the 4th round, we'll definitely want to nab one before we leave the draft. RB is such a dime-a-dozen position that I hate the idea of drafting one with anything but what is essentially a throwaway pick unless they're Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch level as far as full package talent/production/size goes. Dennis Johnson, Spencer Ware, Washaun Ealey, Mike James, I'd leave it up to the front office to decide which kind of back they want most, but at the end of the day RB is just not a position that's worth investing a ton of money into.

In as close to realistically perfect situation as I can think of, the mock looks like this

In the slash positions, I'll list the 4-3 position first, then the 3-4 position.

1. DE/OLB Alex Okafor

2. DT/DE Kawann Short

3. DE/OLB Devin Taylor

4. RG Alvin Bailey

4. LB Sean Porter

5. NT Brandon Moore

6. CB Aaron Hester

7. TE D.C. Jefferson

7. RB Dennis Johnson

To me, that's the kind of draft we need to reach the Super Bowl.

3-4 Front Seven

LOLB: Alex Okafor / Kroy Biermann

LDE: Jonathan Babineaux / Corey Peters

LILB: Akeem Dent / Stephen Nicholas

NT: Brandon Moore / Vance Walker

RILB: Sean Weatherspoon / Sean Porter

RDE: Kawann Short / Travian Robertson

ROLB: John Abraham / Devin Taylor

4-3 Nickel Package

LDE: Alex Okafor / Kroy Biermann

LDT: Jonathan Babineaux / Corey Peters

RDT: Kawann Short / Travian Robertson

RDE: John Abraham / Devin Taylor

To me, that's formidable. And our offense would have either a healthy Garrett Reynolds or a young Alvin Bailey at RG with Konz at C instead of McClure, plus 6'5" 255 lb D.C. Jefferson at TE, and a new 5'9 215 RB splitting carries with Quizz.

In as close to realistically perfect situation as I can think of, the mock looks like this

In the slash positions, I'll list the 4-3 position first, then the 3-4 position.

1. DE/OLB Alex Okafor

2. DT/DE Kawann Short

3. DE/OLB Devin Taylor

4. RG Alvin Bailey

4. LB Sean Porter

5. NT Brandon Moore

6. CB Aaron Hester

7. TE D.C. Jefferson

7. RB Dennis Johnson

To me, that's the kind of draft we need to reach the Super Bowl.

3-4 Front Seven

LOLB: Alex Okafor / Kroy Biermann

LDE: Jonathan Babineaux / Corey Peters

NT: Brandon Moore / Vance Walker

RDE: Kawann Short / Travian Robertson

ROLB: John Abraham / Devin Taylor

4-3 Nickel Package

LDE: Alex Okafor / Kroy Biermann

LDT: Jonathan Babineaux / Corey Peters

RDT: Kawann Short / Travian Robertson

RDE: John Abraham / Devin Taylor

To me, that's formidable. And our offense would have either a healthy Garrett Reynolds or a young Alvin Bailey at RG with Konz at C instead of McClure, plus 6'5" 255 lb D.C. Jefferson at TE, and a new 5'9 215 RB splitting carries with Quizz.

i would be pretty happy with this, if we can find a way to get okafor and short in the first and second rounds.