Hawley And Konz?

stldirtybird

Konz will be the C next year

Hawley, Johnson, Reynolds all those guys haven't done anything to show they're really up for the job

A possibility is that last years rookie 3rd rounder OT Holmes steps in this year at RT, which would free up Clabo to move in to RG

If nothing else atleast at 330lbs he has the size to not get walked back into the QB and with Blalock at LG Konz at C and Clabo at RG we should finally be able to anchor a pocket and move the line in the run game

The real question mark is what happens at LT. Baker is a FA and I'm not sure he's worth handing a second contract. If we're spending that much money might as well spend a bit more and get Jake Long, who will be available and the Dolphins drafted over Ryan (thanks), now we can have them both

LT Jake Long

LG Blalock

C Konz

RG Clabo

RT Holmes

That's a much bigger and talented line than the one we've been trying to get by with

The real question mark is what happens at LT. Baker is a FA and I'm not sure he's worth handing a second contract. If we're spending that much money might as well spend a bit more and get Jake Long, who will be available and the Dolphins drafted over Ryan (thanks), now we can have them both

LT Jake Long

LG Blalock

C Konz

RG Clabo

RT Holmes

That's a much bigger and talented line than the one we've been trying to get by with

Long was discussed by Jamie Dukes today - said he thinks Long will be in the $11M range. That's a lot of money for an aging guy. I'd cut Grimes and put it towards him IMO though.

LT Jake Long

LG Blalock

C Konz

RG Clabo

RT Holmes

bakers contract will be no where near as much as longs.

Ideally, we would get someone like Larry Warford and move Konz to C. I just think there are too many other more pressing needs for us to focus on OG. Who knows we might even be better in the trenches next year with Konz having more experience and another offseason under his belt. Plus, Reynolds was playing well before he got hurt.

Long was discussed by Jamie Dukes today - said he thinks Long will be in the $11M range. That's a lot of money for an aging guy. I'd cut Grimes and put it towards him IMO though.

Long is 27 years old. That's not aging at all

He's 6'7 317. The Dolphins drafted him over Ryan.

Grimes is a FA and I see 0% chance of resigning him. Samuel is 32, Robinson is 30, Grimes is 29. DT and DE are massive needs that need impact moves made, Moore also needs to be resigned or replaced

Baker will be back. He will be cheap and a good player now that he's healthy. If he gets hurt again, we have Holmes.

Everytime I looked at Baker he was chasing Aldon Smith who was on his way to crush Ryan

The guys a 1st round pick you want to give him a 2nd contract on a guy who stinks and cant even be trusted to stay on the field?

bakers contract will be no where near as much as longs.

Never said it would be the same, just how cheap do you think it's going to be?

They're both 1st round draft picks from the same draft class with their rookie deals expiring

If you're going to be committing a big chunk of cap space in either situation, why spend a bit less (but still a very significant amount) and get a player who you know isn't very good and has a history of being unable to stay on the field

Watching the replay of NFCCG right now

Like I said everytime I look at Baker he's getting ran by or ran thru

The last play shown Smith walks Baker right into Ryans lap and swipes at the football, almost forcing a fumble which would have ended the game right there (28-24 SF 6:42)

Ryan is so used to Bakers horrible play that he knows its coming even tho its his blind side and ducks under the sack

You ever wonder why Ryan looks like he has ants in his pants when he is waiting for receivers to get open?

Its because he knows he's milliseconds from someone coming in unblocked and crushing him

Long is 27 years old. That's not aging at all

He's 6'7 317. The Dolphins drafted him over Ryan.

Grimes is a FA and I see 0% chance of resigning him. Samuel is 32, Robinson is 30, Grimes is 29. DT and DE are massive needs that need impact moves made, Moore also needs to be resigned or replaced

My bad, must have gotten him confused with Richard Seymours age listening today.

I agree, Grimes is gone. Renegotiate Dunta, keep Asante.

My bad, must have gotten him confused with Richard Seymours age listening today.

I agree, Grimes is gone. Renegotiate Dunta, keep Asante.

You need 3 corners in this league but like I said the DL needs MASSIVE UPGRADES, at least 1 impact DT and 1 impact DE, and Moore needs to be resigned or replaced

1 guy who could be an option tho is Bills CB Leodis McKelvin, a former 1st round pick hasn't been overly productive at CB but is young and very athletic, he's handled kick and punt returns, and had 2 return touchdowns this season

We definately need a KR/PR badly and he could fit it and be the nickel

But realistically I think we'll draft another corner and go with the guys we have, in addition to DT, DE and safety we might be adding a LB as well

Never said it would be the same, just how cheap do you think it's going to be?

They're both 1st round draft picks from the same draft class with their rookie deals expiring

If you're going to be committing a big chunk of cap space in either situation, why spend a bit less (but still a very significant amount) and get a player who you know isn't very good and has a history of being unable to stay on the field

and one is a multi time pro bowler the other is often injured and coming off one good year. 1st contract might be about draft position, 2nd contract is about production.

You need 3 corners in this league but like I said the DL needs MASSIVE UPGRADES, at least 1 impact DT and 1 impact DE, and Moore needs to be resigned or replaced

1 guy who could be an option tho is Bills CB Leodis McKelvin, a former 1st round pick hasn't been overly productive at CB but is young and very athletic, he's handled kick and punt returns, and had 2 return touchdowns this season

We definately need a KR/PR badly and he could fit it and be the nickel

But realistically I think we'll draft another corner and go with the guys we have, in addition to DT, DE and safety we might be adding a LB as well

Well, I hear you on the DB sitch but...we made this far this year with the guys we have. I'd prefer an impact DT/DE AND a ILB. I'd hold on RB until mid rounds - plenty of good talent IMO.

KR/PR was a mess this year - FA- pick up Chris Rainey for nothing.

Edited by NewBird

Konz is a center pressed into playing guard. He'll be the starting center next year.

I know that is the general thought process but I do not see it happening.

He settled down nicely towards the end of the season and played really well at guard. particularly in the playoffs.

they may do some cross training with him but I have a feeling we go into camp at least with with Hawley at center and Konz at guard. I could see Reynolds brought back and another center/ guard drafted mid draft.

I have a feeling it is going to be a free for all and the best 5 guys will start.

I know that is the general thought process but I do not see it happening.

He settled down nicely towards the end of the season and played really well at guard. particularly in the playoffs.

they may do some cross training with him but I have a feeling we go into camp at least with with Hawley at center and Konz at guard. I could see Reynolds brought back and another center/ guard drafted mid draft.

I have a feeling it is going to be a free for all and the best 5 guys will start.

Hawley hasn't shown anything that makes me want him be a starter and Konz never played at guard in college. That would also mean an incredibly mediocre O-line, and I am not content with that. Shift Konz to center where he belongs since it's his natural position and draft a guard like Warford or Frederick to compete with or take the job away from Reynolds, who is average at best. We need a good O-line, not a mediocre one.

What do you think Holmes was drafted to do? Just occupy space on the roster? Lol

Holmes is a lot of attitude but was very raw. Teams draft projects like him all the time. Maybe you strike gold, maybe you strike dirt. It's worth the risk to see how he pans out, but if he does not work out you can always find another project in the draft again.

We drafted him to "maybe" take over for Baker if he had a crappy year OR wants to break the bank. It's a smart move if he works out.