Defense!

Knight of God

I don't care what base we use for the record. The 3-4 and 4-3 matter little to me. In a good hybrid you have to have players that fit both packages suited up and ready to take the field. I hate to get so irritated over wording, but its not just that. I'm a defense guy. I love defense. I teach defense, I played defense, I understand defense, I get most excited when defense is on the field. When I see us using a scheme (the scheme-less hybrid) that usually turns unknown players into household names and see that it was at fault, it burns me up and makes me pretty upset.

I know that it wasn't Ryan's fault. I vented on him and don't 100% mean it, just about 85% on it. I just keep looking at the defensive personnel and just don't see what has been seen these past 4-5 years. Abe has needed help the whole time he's been here, so has babs. We get Spoon then we don't do much to get talent around him.

Some way, some how we have to get some guys that Nolan can build with. You have to build around the front seven and the secondary apart from each other. They are two different groups. From what I know, it works best that way.

I don't know. Its not the playoff loss...its the defense missing tackles at key moments, missing their assignments, dancing and celebrating alone and for little reason, playing too much. I don't know guys. Really there are no words.

While I totally agree about the need to upgrade the defense, here's the thing I just thought about. Last year, they picked up Travian & Massaquoi at DT & DE respectively. If they decide to go with a DT & DE, it's pretty much giving up on those guys as the next in line. While we'll never know exactly how much influence Nolan had with those picks, I don't know how quickly the FO gives up on those guys. (We've seen how loyal they can be to guys). Unless some sort of drastic change of attitude takes place. I guess a good contextual comparison would be to look at the team/draft right before we drafted Julio.

While I totally agree about the need to upgrade the defense, here's the thing I just thought about. Last year, they picked up Travian & Massaquoi at DT & DE respectively. If they decide to go with a DT & DE, it's pretty much giving up on those guys as the next in line. While we'll never know exactly how much influence Nolan had with those picks, I don't know how quickly the FO gives up on those guys. (We've seen how loyal they can be to guys). Unless some sort of drastic change of attitude takes place. I guess a good contextual comparison would be to look at the team/draft right before we drafted Julio.

Like I said man, I don't know.

Good post KoG. Totally agree about it all. Ryan screwed up , a lot of people screwed up but the defense was embarrassing. Ryans 400yds , 3tds and 114rating should of been enough if you ask me. The defense dancing and celebrating was abysmal to me. I think coaching gets a lot of blame as well. Abraham obviously in pain on the sideline drenched in sweat was pissing me off more then anything.

I am over it though. I'm ready for next year already. I learned a long time ago not to tear things apart in hindsight and its served me well in life.

It seems the FO has built the defense back to front Secondary first.

We can only hope like I have mentioned in other threads that they decide dedicate the same sought of resources they have to the offense over the years but in reverse.

I thought I'd feel worse about the loss and all but going into the season the d-line was my biggest concern I only hope TD & MS finally pull finger and get some thoroughbreds up in here and not the same old draught horse type players.

I think we (KoG) have spoken about the DL coach. I didn't like him last season and I still don't like him. everyone except for Abe plays to contain plus they aren't violent at all. Vance Walker has shown flashes and Babs is getting a little long in the tooth. and as much as people like to complain I didn't have a problem with Dunta's play this season. after going back and looking at this season, if we make half the tackles we missed we're in the Super Bowl and even so, we were one play away.

Im kinda confused as to why our safetys were playing deep most of the game. Shouldve brought em up to contain davis and add defenders to the run. If kap was gonna beat us deep. So be it. Seems like we put too much stock into hoping he makes a mistake and not into going after him. Also seems like we built our defense to stop elite passing teams after the gb debacle. But it does nothing against these read option running type teams

Another bad thing. Abe is probably in his last year and hes been on the decline. Since hes been here hes been one year great. One year invisible. Last year he was invisible. This year he was just ok. So by my math next year will be his bad year. Which could be worse than his previous bad years

Part of the problem is our D was really geared up to play against these passing teams that looked to be the future of the NFL only to have two powering running read option teams stand in our way in the playoffs. It seems we didn't have the personnel to deal with it as they were the only style of teams to really gash our D all year.

I agree we do need an upgrade on D though. Before last season we had finally found the complement to Abe and he wanted to play here only to have that moron Marty Hurney pay him an outrageous sum of money. **** you Marty Hurney! That was double killer as we settled for the second best option in Ray Edwards who ended up being a complete tool as well as an awful football player.

Edit: Obviously talking about Charles Johnson BTW.

Edited by Cam Topdrew Bottom

Im kinda confused as to why our safetys were playing deep most of the game. Shouldve brought em up to contain davis and add defenders to the run. If kap was gonna beat us deep. So be it. Seems like we put too much stock into hoping he makes a mistake and not into going after him. Also seems like we built our defense to stop elite passing teams after the gb debacle. But it does nothing against these read option running type teams

This..