This Is The Start Of Tds "second Generation" Of Players, Going To Be Interesting

falconidae

Think TD has done pretty well with his player acquisition- Turner, Ryan, Gonzo, Jones, Spoon, Moore, Baker, Peters Lofton- you can certainly point out mistakes, but that's true of every GM.

Lets say the average career in the NFL is 5 years, this is TD's second generation. He's got some big shoes to fill- Abe, McClure, Gonzo and Turner are either gone this year or soon.

Lack of pass rush and lack of of a rushing game killed this team. If he can fix those two things this offseason, this team is going to be very good for a long time.

Grabbing a good young RB in the 3rd or 4th round and Holmes developing into a stud would solve the run game, it's the pass rush he needs to fix.

I'd hope he'd grab the best DE and best DT left in the draft with the 1st two picks, whoever he drafts has to work- the Dline has to improve.

Now this draft is filled with Dline talent in the first 2 rounds- so maybe that was his plan last year - Oline talent last year, Dline this year.

This is the draft he has to get right to make up for losing the picks in the Jones trade- if he hits on the first and second round and greatly improves the Dline, Falcons can be good for a long long time.

We're thinking along the same lines dae...I posted either yesterday or right after the game that this upcoming offseason might be Dimitroff's most important (if you exclude his first year).

td does have a way of looking to a crystal ball when it comes to team needs the following year.

Stevie Wonder could see what we need....(not meant as a slam towards TD.....or you).

Dae, I hope you aren't smarter than the FO because that type of sense seems to have left Flowery Branch a long time ago. I would not be surprised if we got cute...again.

I'm just a fan, I hope TD has a better idea than I do.

What I'm thinking that you'll see is fewer high floor, low ceiling guys and they'll start taking a few more risks with the high ceiling guys. Think Holmes is an example- really high ceiling guy that could solidify the Oline for a decade if he works out.

I'm just a fan, I hope TD has a better idea than I do.

What I'm thinking that you'll see is fewer high floor, low ceiling guys and they'll start taking a few more risks with the high ceiling guys. Think Holmes is an example- really high ceiling guy that could solidify the Oline for a decade if he works out.

He's a project.

Hadn't thought of it like that but your right, how we follow up this NFC Championship run is going to say volumes about where we're going to stand in the next few years. Grabbing key free agent for the Dline is going to be a must but TD's biggest offseason contributions could (and probably should) come from the draft.

TD has missed on some picks, but every GM does. Plus you have the added X Factor of players getting injuries which either severly damage their ability to play or end their careers as was the case I believe with Jerry.

One thing you have to give credit to TD for is having a very specific standard in terms of talent, leadership, character, work ethic, etc. that every potential player has to meet. In short, if you manage to pass successfully through the TD/Atlanta Falcon filter, you are clearly a cut above the average in every pertinent department you'll need to be a successful, long-term player in the NFL.

I think the players TD drafts this year will be as good as can be made based on where each of our picks falls in the draft. I'm somewhat more concerned about his FA choices. For some reason he doesn't seem to have much luck ~ or maybe much skill ~ at that aspect of player acquisitions. And of course I'm talking about Tatupu and Edwards. Tatupu was older and had an injury problem and Edwards was just a flash in the pan at best.

He has had five seasons as a GM and we can only hope he's learned a lot with each passing season and that will be reflected this off-season because he isn't going anywhere for a long, long time. My concern going into this off-season as that we simply don't have the cap room to fill every hole and shore up every weak point we have.

You can't expect raw draft picks to make much of an impact immediately unless you get lucky, so to me this season looks like we're heading for a drop-off in number of wins and probably won't be in the play-offs. Just my opinion, feel free to indulge yourself by calling me names and/or declaring we're going to be the number one seed again. Either response wouldn't hurt my feelings.