Why We Couldn't Run The Ball!

THE ICEMAN

Ever sense we lost Ovi we never really have been able to run the ball and grind out games like we used to.

So is the kid we lost due to a torn ACL in Preseason the real deal or do we need to sign or draft some one cause in my opinion our offense really was hurt by the ineffectiveness to run the ball.

Ever sense we lost Ovi we never really have been able to run the ball and grind out games like we used to.

So is the kid we lost due to a torn ACL in Preseason the real deal or do we need to sign or draft some one cause in my opinion our offense really was hurt by the ineffectiveness to run the ball.

No, our passing game can carry our entire offense if it needs to. Although, A good running game would work wonders along with it. It probably won't be fixed this offseason because of all of our needs on defense.

now that the season is over, it was Turner. he's probably better suited as a FB at this point in his career. If I was gonna go after a RB I would get either Chris Ivory or Rashad Mendenhall. paired with Quizz those guys have just enough power & speed to be more effective in Koetter's offense. as far as the line is concerned. I'd be okay with Baker//Blalock//Konz//Manley//Clabo or if we don't resign Baker exchange Holmes for Baker

Its part because the O line. Its part because Turner does not hit the hole very fast and its part we were playing an elite run defense.

I'm not 100% convinced that we need to draft a Guard and do all this work to the line. I think once Konz is switched to Center and Reynolds or another player is put at RG then that will help some.

Add that with drafting or getting a FA RB who can hit the hole with speed then you have a big improvement in the run game.

Brady Ewing would have made Turner's season somewhat more effective (kid's a really good blocker) but not enough to mask the miles on Turner's odometer or the lack of a real road grader on that O-line....

And **** no to Steven Jackson.....too many miles on him.

You don't trade old for old.

We need to get a serious injection of young talent on this team.

Maybe because the Niners are just a good run stopping team? Can yall give this team credit for once around here? We played a great game against a great defense. The only thing that changed from last year is the RG, which it improved. Turner is not the same back, regardless of his spurt in the Seahawks game. Fix the C and RG spots and get a RB who will hit the hole harder and our running game will come alive.

Brady Ewing would have made Turner's season somewhat more effective (kid's a really good blocker) but not enough to mask the miles on Turner's odometer or the lack of a real road grader on that O-line....

I agree, I keep seeing everyone suggest that we bring in these 30+ year old veterans on their last leg and it blows my mind. "lets get Steven Jackson, lets get Richard Seymour, lets get Dwight Freeney" its crazy. One of our biggest problems is that we don't have enough youth on either side of the ball, especially defense. Net year 5 of our starters on D will be 30 or older (6 if you count Grimes) and we will have 2 28 years old safeties and a 28 year old DE. We need to get some youth on the team and it needs to happen fast, especially on the DL and at CB. Edited by Aftermath

I hope we get a DUDE in the draft this year at RB. Lacy, Bell, someone like that. Christine Michael is rumored to be oft injured.

I hope we get a DUDE in the draft this year at RB. Lacy, Bell, someone like that. Christine Michael is rumored to be oft injured.

I don't want Lacy. Yes, he's a good back and would fit perfectly, but it would sacrifice what we need more: Front 7 Defense. Bell, Taylor or Ball would be my choice in the mid rounds.

All valid points here.

One thing that gets often overlooked is the the fact that we never really committed to the run.

It was more of an afterthought.

Which I cant say I blame DK, when you have horses like Julio,Roddy and Tony you ride them until you can't.

But Turner has always been a rhythm type back.

His best games were normally the ones we fed him the rock a bunch..

But he is like a lot of big backs... they look pretty bad early on only getting 2 or 3 yards a carry but those 2 or 3 become 3 or4 and then 4 or 5 as the game goes on.

That was Turner from the get go, he would have like 20 yards on 7 carries and then bust a 30 yarder, and then he would just get 3 or 4 and then bust a 15-20 yarder.

But we kept feeding him the ball and that is why he was so productive.

We did not do that this year.

Hopefully we can strike a nice balance in 2013 between feeding our big time play makers and having a diverse running game.

I don't want Lacy. Yes, he's a good back and would fit perfectly, but it would sacrifice what we need more: Front 7 Defense. Bell, Taylor or Ball would be my choice in the mid rounds.

That is a simple fix................go after those positions in FA

someone posted the linebacker list and while it is not eye popping by any stretch there are 4 or 5 good options there and there are some decent linemen available as well.

If we can get a stud.and I mean STUD like Lacy you do not pass a guy like that up. especially when you have 7-8 additional picks in the draft

I think a lot of people under value what a good FB does for the Running game.

But Koetter's offense isn't a traditional offense that uses the FB most of the time. We need a RB who doesn't need a FB to be successful.

Steven jackson is the answer. Big powerful and fast. And he can catch

Are you effin serious? Jackson turns 30 in July and has 2,395 NFL carries under his belt and has a history of injuries. You really want to get rid of 1 aging running back for another? How on earth does that even make a lick of sense?

Maybe because the Niners are just a good run stopping team? Can yall give this team credit for once around here? We played a great game against a great defense. The only thing that changed from last year is the RG, which it improved. Turner is not the same back, regardless of his spurt in the Seahawks game. Fix the C and RG spots and get a RB who will hit the hole harder and our running game will come alive.

We actually had a few good runs against the Niners and then Turner got hurt in the 2nd quarter. Nobody seems to acknowledge that once Turner got hurt we had to pass on every single play and the Niners in the 2nd half finally started making some plays. That's why we didn't score in the 2nd half. Of course some how it's all Matt Ryan's fault. <_<

That is a simple fix................go after those positions in FA

someone posted the linebacker list and while it is not eye popping by any stretch there are 4 or 5 good options there and there are some decent linemen available as well.

If we can get a stud.and I mean STUD like Lacy you do not pass a guy like that up. especially when you have 7-8 additional picks in the draft

With the ability to a get a quality Rb deeper in the draft or FA, why not go DT/DE? Kniles Davis comes to mind.

And while Lacy was great, the line he ran behind was unreal.

Edited by NewBird

With the ability to a get a quality Rb deeper in the draft or FA, why not go DT/DE? Kniles Davis comes to mind.

It depends on who is there and if they fit what we want to do.

If a End is there that does not fit what we are looking for why take him just to say you took an end.

It all depends on exactly what we want.

But there is no doubt a guy like Lacy would make our offense even that much deadlier.