Compensation Pick

I think compensation picks are generally awarded during first few days of the NFL Combine week. this year the Combine is 20-26 Feb. I think it usually done once the order of all the picks are solidified. Sometimes a coin toss is used to determine the order(if ties in records). Since all the teams have reps at the Combine it is done there.

There are some pretty smart folks on this board regarding comp picks....freely admit I'm not one. But I believe estimating a 4th rd comp pick by many is an educated guess due to past compensation pick allotments the past few years. And i agree, i think (hope) it will be 4th rd. The comp pick will be for Loften as Weems was the only other FA that qualified due to his contract (qualified is based off of contract, playing time/contribution and off season awards i believe) however Weems didn't generate much and Chris Hope may have nullified him out. The other 2 losses Dbs-J Sanders and K Hayden and did not qualify.

hope that helped

AEF

Edited by AEFalcon

You can PM prof and he'll give you the full details, but basically, yeah, Lofton's average yearly salary equates to a 4th rounder. It could have been less if he had been injured or more if he had made the pro bowl, but 4th is the starting point. Weems equates to a 7th, which is why you see a lot of drafts with two 4ths and two 7ths. Also, depending on the exact cut off, we may receive a 7th for James Sanders as well. Like I said, though, Prof can go into a lot better detail on this than I can.

I think compensation picks are generally awarded during first few days of the NFL Combine week. this year the Combine is 20-26 Feb. I think it usually done once the order of all the picks are solidified. Sometimes a coin toss is used to determine the order(if ties in records). Since all the teams have reps at the Combine it is done there.

There are some pretty smart folks on this board regarding comp picks....freely admit I'm not one. But I believe estimating a 4th rd comp pick by many is an educated guess due to past compensation pick allotments the past few years. And i agree, i think (hope) it will be 4th rd. The comp pick will be for Loften as Weems was the only other FA that qualified due to his contract (qualified is based off of contract, playing time/contribution and off season awards i believe) however Weems didn't generate much and Chris Hope may have nullified him out. The other 2 losses Dbs-J Sanders and K Hayden and did not qualify.

hope that helped

AEF

According to the pay scale, Weems is making enough yearly salary to qualify for a 7th. Hope doesn't factor into the calculations b/c he's vet min, which puts him under the min for these calculations, same with Hayden. Sanders, however, was signed for more than the vet min, so he may qualify depending on where this year's cut off is.

According to the pay scale, Weems is making enough yearly salary to qualify for a 7th. Hope doesn't factor into the calculations b/c he's vet min, which puts him under the min for these calculations, same with Hayden. Sanders, however, was signed for more than the vet min, so he may qualify depending on where this year's cut off is.

good to know. thanks hjerry!

I think we might just get a fourth without an extra seventh, since they like to condense it and there are only so many comp picks to deal out.

While I get where you're coming from, almost every year, it is the opposite. There are 32 compensatory picks to hand out, and, more often than not, when everything teams have earned have been handed out, there are still extra, resulting in more going to the top 10 teams in an "8th" round. It just depends on how many teams are awarded the picks, but I wouldn't worry right now about us getting two.