Let Me Erase A Few Misconceptions

slewis1952

1. Matt Ryan threw for almost 400 yards. He fumbled once and Roddy's slip cause an INT. You can worm your way back and forth about the game but throwing for almost 400 yards does not lose you a game.

2. If there is blame, lay it squarely on the defense. Like the article by Bradley says, Dimitroff signed Ray Edwards, Tatupu, Peria Jerry, and they were all busts.Our top rusher, JA, had no tackles in the last two games. Our D-line is maybe average, Spoon is the only LB above average, and DeCoud does play like an 8th grader despite his interceptions.

3. We have seen the demise of Turner and now its time to correct it. Even when we ran for 167 yards versus Seattle, we nearly lost the game. When one part of our team shines, the other fails. This is a front office problem. Also, Quizz is too small to run between the tackles. Against SF we threw zero screens.

4. Coaching by Nolan became a question at the end of the season. We were 24th in the NFL in total defense 5 years ago. This year, we were again 24th. Seattle and SF ran underneath our defense and there wre gaping holes and space for our opponent's receivers. Nothing could or did change it.

5. Koetter doesn't get off easy either. First down on the 12 with two time outs left. WE NEVER WENT INTO THE END ZONE!!!! We needed at touchdown and we ran, tried a short pass, gained 6 yards, and threw three yards on forth and 4. We could have gotten a first down at the 2 but running on first down constantly killed us. At one point we had 11 rushes for thirty yards. Meanwhile we threw for almost 400 yards and they couldn't stop Julio if their lives depended on it. Also, we never, ever, ever adjust at halftime and thus no second half points. This is pathetic

You all can say what you want and I am sure you will. This is how I feel and if you check out the AJC today, others who know more than I do, too.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well put.

1. Mike Smith's decision to leave Abe in the game against Tampa came back to bite us in the butt.

2. They were trying for the first down to run clock out - not the touchdown. We were playing not to lose - not playing to win. In that goal line situation, after Ryan went down - a timeout should have been called - and we should have gone for the throat. That decision cost us. We were holding the timeouts - in case. We weren't going for the gold - but to try to manage the clock and then score.

3. Our Oline protected fairly well - but they still aren't opening holes for the run game. They still don't get push at the line on most snaps.

Nah, it wasn't on Koetter. Nope. That's one guy I can't find a criticism for in the last 2 games. On the occasions the Falcons were stopped, and it wasn't that many, it was the players.

3rd and 4 rollout doesn't bring up some criticism. And like the previous poster said why run on 1 and 10 at the 12. We wasted 30 secs after that run that we could have used after receiving the punt.

3rd and 4 rollout doesn't bring up some criticism. And like the previous poster said why run on 1 and 10 at the 12. We wasted 30 secs after that run that we could have used after receiving the punt.

You have to play with the assumption that you are going to score there, a run on first down takes another 30 seconds off the clock.That's 30 seconds they wouldn't have had if they got the ball back. Our D wasn't going to stop them from driving the field, them boys were done.

Didn't want to score too fast and leave time on the clock, didn't trust the defense to make the stop

Exactly! Playing not to lose.

You find yourself in that position. 12 yards from the Super Bowl. - you pull out the dagger and you drive it in.

THEN you get your defense out there and make that stop.

You have to play with the assumption that you are going to score there, a run on first down takes another 30 seconds off the clock.That's 30 seconds they wouldn't have had if they got the ball back. Our D wasn't going to stop them from driving the field, them boys were done.

They forced a 3 and out right after our failed offensive drive

4. Coaching by Nolan became a question at the end of the season. We were 24th in the NFL in total defense 5 years ago. This year, we were again 24th. Seattle and SF ran underneath our defense and there wre gaping holes and space for our opponent's receivers. Nothing could or did change it.

We weren't 24th in "total defense". There's not even such a stat. We were 24th in yards allowed. 5th in points allowed. Last I heard, you don't win games by gaining the most yards. So we're the 5th best defense in the whole NFL in the category that matters most.

The rollout would have worked RW was open, but the LB made a great play. As far as the run goes we tried to run some clock, because we expected to score. Our D couldn't stop anything didn't want to give them the ball with to much time.

1. Matt Ryan threw for almost 400 yards. He fumbled once and Roddy's slip cause an INT. You can worm your way back and forth about the game but throwing for almost 400 yards does not lose you a game.

2. If there is blame, lay it squarely on the defense. Like the article by Bradley says, Dimitroff signed Ray Edwards, Tatupu, Peria Jerry, and they were all busts.Our top rusher, JA, had no tackles in the last two games. Our D-line is maybe average, Spoon is the only LB above average, and DeCoud does play like an 8th grader despite his interceptions.

3. We have seen the demise of Turner and now its time to correct it. Even when we ran for 167 yards versus Seattle, we nearly lost the game. When one part of our team shines, the other fails. This is a front office problem. Also, Quizz is too small to run between the tackles. Against SF we threw zero screens.

5. Koetter doesn't get off easy either. First down on the 12 with two time outs left. WE NEVER WENT INTO THE END ZONE!!!! We needed at touchdown and we ran, tried a short pass, gained 6 yards, and threw three yards on forth and 4. We could have gotten a first down at the 2 but running on first down constantly killed us. At one point we had 11 rushes for thirty yards. Meanwhile we threw for almost 400 yards and they couldn't stop Julio if their lives depended on it. Also, we never, ever, ever adjust at halftime and thus no second half points. This is pathetic

You all can say what you want and I am sure you will. This is how I feel and if you check out the AJC today, others who know more than I do, too.

With the offensive weapons we have here, I'm not so sure that most starting QB's in this league wouldn't do just as well. If not better.

Its like we have a Ducati motorcycle and someone is trying to drive it like a moped. Then we can talk about the defense. That unit sucks and has for longer than this year. That's why Ray fit in so well at first.

With the offensive weapons we have here, I'm not so sure that most starting QB's in this league wouldn't do just as well. If not better.

Its like we have a Ducati motorcycle and someone is trying to drive it like a moped. Then we can talk about the defense. That unit sucks and has for longer than this year. That's why Ray fit in so well at first.

Lol not even close to true. Don't make me school you.