Penalties - Question

mrfahaji

I can't remember off the top of my head, but were the penalties given away by Nicholas and Matthews on scoring drives for the 49ers?

I know people want to blame individuals, but most mistakes are unintentional and often unlucky (think fumbles, slips, interceptions) - even if they come as a result of poor ball security etc, they are still not deliberate.

Those penalties were totally unnecessary and stupid. We stopped them, and then we gave them another shot. Everyone knows the Falcons are the least penalised team this year, but it is perhaps fairly seen as a side issue to our success. However, games are won and lost by fine margins. If that fine margin is a yard of pace, or an unfortunate slip, then so be it, that's how the cookie crumbles, but it is painful to see the difference being a lack of discipline on a usually well drilled team.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but were the penalties given away by Nicholas and Matthews on scoring drives for the 49ers?

I know people want to blame individuals, but most mistakes are unintentional and often unlucky (think fumbles, slips, interceptions) - even if they come as a result of poor ball security etc, they are still not deliberate.

Those penalties were totally unnecessary and stupid. We stopped them, and then we gave them another shot. Everyone knows the Falcons are the least penalised team this year, but it is perhaps fairly seen as a side issue to our success. However, games are won and lost by fine margins. If that fine margin is a yard of pace, or an unfortunate slip, then so be it, that's how the cookie crumbles, but it is painful to see the difference being a lack of discipline on a usually well drilled team.

Neither one of those were penalties....IMO...complete BS calls!

Yes, both drives ended in touchdowns.

However, only the Matthews' call was on third down. We would have had 'em on a 3 and out there.

Nic's call tacked on 15, but the drive wouldn't have been over.

Ok, thanks. It does prove my point to a large extent (the Nic penalty significantly increased their chances of a TD).

I too thought they were harsh penalties, but the fact is the play was over (for those players at least) and they lost composure and did something stupid. That's the kind of thing a coach must get SO frustrated with, it cost us massively.

Ok, thanks. It does prove my point to a large extent (the Nic penalty significantly increased their chances of a TD).

I too thought they were harsh penalties, but the fact is the play was over (for those players at least) and they lost composure and did something stupid. That's the kind of thing a coach must get SO frustrated with, it cost us massively.

It just didn't seem like much of a penalty...did it even determine the outcome of the play?

It just didn't seem like much of a penalty...did it even determine the outcome of the play?

No, that's why it was so frustrating! If you're going to put one on the QB at least let him know about it, don't just stroke his face mask...

I agree that it was a stupid penalty, but if Matthews had been more controlled, there wouldn't be an excuse for the refs.

No, that's why it was so frustrating! If you're going to put one on the QB at least let him know about it, don't just stroke his face mask...

I agree that it was a stupid penalty, but if Matthews had been more controlled, there wouldn't be an excuse for the refs.

I was actually referring to the Nicholas play....but the Matthews play just seemed like incidential...If I were a ref, I'd never call that on either team. Nothing about that looked intentional. But the Roddy play on the other hand....if you call the Matthews play and the Nicholas play...why not call in favor of Roddy. Just complete BS.....I was soooo upset about these calls.

That is not accurate. Matthews was swatting for the ball - and his fingers brushed Kaepernick's facemask - didn't even phase him.

Horrible call and totally changed the game. We stopped them on that drive - and they got a fresh set of downs and turned it into a touchdown.

On the other hand - on our 3rd down - Ryan was blindsided after he threw the ball, hit in the head hard enough to pull his mask over his face - then body slammed. THAT was roughing the passer by definition. The ref was standing right there and did nothing. That led to a 3rd down and an injured QB to try to finish the game.

Bad officiating aside, none of these factors alone caused the loss.

That is not accurate. Matthews was swatting for the ball - and his fingers brushed Kaepernick's facemask - didn't even phase him.

Horrible call and totally changed the game. We stopped them on that drive - and they got a fresh set of downs and turned it into a touchdown.

I was FUMING over that. So was my roommate, who's a big Steelers fan and was watching the game with me.

That was incidental.

Let the boys play.

In my opinion there were lots of penalties that should have been called and weren't

and

There were some penalties that were called and shouldn't have.

My take is that often there are games decided by bad penalty calls. This is the NFL. I have resigned myself to the fact that teams have to be good enough to overcome these bad calls......unfortunately.

In my opinion there were lots of penalties that should have been called and weren't

and

There were some penalties that were called and shouldn't have.

My take is that often there are games decided by bad penalty calls. This is the NFL. I have resigned myself to the fact that teams have to be good enough to overcome these bad calls......unfortunately.

....and good enough to overcome T.O.s as well.

....and good enough to overcome T.O.s as well.

They fumbled the ball and gave it back on the fumble play. We just couldn't move it.

On the interception, they missed a field goal.

They didn't score on either of those turnovers - so in reality - we overcame them. We just couldn't put enough together to win the game.

They fumbled the ball and gave it back on the fumble play. We just couldn't move it.

On the interception, they missed a field goal.

They didn't score on either of those turnovers - so in reality - we overcame them. We just couldn't put enough together to win the game.

Did we score anymore after the fumble snap? I can't remember.

I was actually referring to the Nicholas play....but the Matthews play just seemed like incidential...If I were a ref, I'd never call that on either team. Nothing about that looked intentional. But the Roddy play on the other hand....if you call the Matthews play and the Nicholas play...why not call in favor of Roddy. Just complete BS.....I was soooo upset about these calls.

Wasn't it within 5 yards of the LOS? I'm not sure of the rule, but I thought you were allowed to 'jam' the player at that distance. At that point I think we were all desperate for the call regardless, but that seemed to be what people were saying.

Tandy - I agree with you that bad officiating on other calls was there, and that the Matthews penalty was inocuous at best. But when I watched the replay I cringed because to me it appears that the 'swatting' was a bit late and a bit silly.

Wasn't it within 5 yards of the LOS? I'm not sure of the rule, but I thought you were allowed to 'jam' the player at that distance. At that point I think we were all desperate for the call regardless, but that seemed to be what people were saying.

Tandy - I agree with you that bad officiating on other calls was there, and that the Matthews penalty was inocuous at best. But when I watched the replay I cringed because to me it appears that the 'swatting' was a bit late and a bit silly.

It was a jam first and it looked as if he was pulling Roddy away from the ball....it seemed to be more than a jam.