Ryan Without Gonzo

XXVIII-III

Is like Linus without his blanket. Having Gonzo out there makes 75% of what we do on offense possible. We cannot downplay this. If we can't replace Tony with someone who can at least come close to what he does (insane 1st down and TD catches), it will be a HUGE blow to our offense. The only other way is to somehow miraculously get a dominant run game going again. I believe in Ryan, but he NEED's this...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is like Linus without his blanket. Having Gonzo out there makes 75% of what we do on offense possible. We cannot downplay this. If we can't replace Tony with someone who can at least come close to what he does (insane 1st down and TD catches), it will be a HUGE blow to our offense. The only other way is to somehow miraculously get a dominant run game going again. I believe in Ryan, but he NEED's this...

Nope, Ryan is an elite QB. He can do it with a bunch of role players. Nate Burleson is better than Julio. Finn is much better than Roddy White.

I think Ryan and Koetter both realize how important a playmaking TE is for this offense....I don't want one in the 1st round though...(too many defensive needs)...The Kelce kid out of Cincinnati could work....maybe make a run at Jared Cook in FA.....

Ryan did pretty good his Rookie year without Tony. Tony has been awesome deserves to be in our own Ring of honor and is one of the best Falcons players ever but we will live without him. A more mature Ryan and an actual running game and tony absence will be negated.

I've been thinkin about the same thing. I think without Tony G Ryan's play will take a major decline.

I actually disagree a lot. He was a security blanket but there have been times where he zeros in on Tony G for a 5 -10 yd gain when a Harry Douglas or someone is running free for 20 + . I will miss Tony but Ryan was doing work before Tony got here.

I understand what you're saying, but the 'work' Ryan was doing before Tony got here had a lot to do with Turner beasting...

I think Ryan and Koetter both realize how important a playmaking TE is for this offense....I don't want one in the 1st round though...(too many defensive needs)...The Kelce kid out of Cincinnati could work....maybe make a run at Jared Cook in FA.....

None of those guys are anywhere close to Gonzo. Gonzo was the best TE in the NFL this year and GOAT. This is going to be another Curtis Lofton where fans underrate the player to overrate what they want to happen.

None of those guys are anywhere close to Gonzo. Gonzo was the best TE in the NFL this year and GOAT. This is going to be another Curtis Lofton where fans underrate the player to overrate what they want to happen.

I guess if I would have said that were going to easily replace Gonzo with these solutions you might have a point...but since I didn't.........

You clearly don't replace Tony G......but you also don't decide to just eliminate the TE position from the Falcons because Tony retired.

I love Tony G and it is a loss, but not as much as people blowing it up to be. RW is clutch on 3rd down, JJ is getting more and more clutch, HD can catch and be used more. Not to mention Tony G doesn't have the speed anymore and doesn't get separation. That's why so many of his catches look great, cause he can't get wide open and MR has to throw it in tight windows. It's also why MR has been picked off some over the years in the middle.

How many teams in the league use their TE for security blankets? Tony G isn't the only good TE out their. I could name s few I would rather have. Could you imagine having a Gronk on our team?

In 2008 Ryan didn't have Julio or a RB who could catch the ball either.

Exactly. I think the improvement in Ryan from year to year, Julio being more dominant, and Quizz getting more carries, not to mention possibly an athletic TE in the 3rd round. I don't think there will be drop off. I think there could be improvement in some areas like YPA and YAC.

2013 Free Agent TE's:

Tony Gonzalez (ATL) - One of the biggest uncertainties for the Falcons going into next year will rest on the cleats of their future Hall of Famer. If he hangs them up, his Sunday presence will be missed dearly by not only the Falcons, but an entire generation of fans and tight ends grew up watching Gonzalez dominate defenses and set record after record. If he decides to return (far more likely if the Falcons get bounced in the playoffs), there's no reason for him not to re- sign with the Falcons, a perennial Super Bowl contender.

Jared Cook (TEN) - The Titans would love to re- sign Cook, a tight end with elite athleticism and impressive playmaking ability, but convincing him to agree stay put won't be as easy. His numbers dropped from the year prior and he finished 24th in targets among tight ends. With increasing value at his position, there will be a market for an athlete of his stature.

Dustin Keller (NYJ) - Missing half the season to hamstring and ankle injuries, Keller finished his contract year in nightmarish fashion. With the turmoil in New York, the Jets aren't expected to re- sign Keller. If rumors materialize and Keller lands in a city with a legitimate quarterback, he could be signed at bargain price this offseason. Given his situation over the past few seasons, it's difficult to evaluate his true ability, but the injury of a year ago should reduce the monetary risk associated with the decision.

Fred Davis (WAS) - Entering this season, Davis was expected to blossom after finishing his breakout 2011 season with 796 yards. With an improved quarterbacking situation, Davis should have been in line for a big payday entering his prime. Unfortunately, he tore an Achilles tendon midway through the year after playing in a more run- heavy offense leading to less receiving opportunities. Though Washington is still in play, Davis will likely strike a short "prove it" deal regardless of where he goes.

Martellus Bennett (NYG) - With 611 yards and fewer drops than expected, Bennett flourished in New York. His size and ability to attack the middle of the field fills a void the Giants have on offense. Recent history suggests the Giants won't overpay for a tight end, but a fair deal should keep the former Dallas underachiever in New York, where they value the balance he brings to the position.

Brandon Myers (OAK) - Meyers came out of nowhere to finish inside the top 6 among tight ends in receptions (75) and yards (753). Without any spectacular ability, Meyers shouldn't shock the market or find himself signing an exorbitant deal based solely on potential and a single breakout season. A fair offer should keep Meyers an Oakland Raider.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/fa/wr.html