Big Moves Coming, Top 2013 Free Agents

JulioHOFer

This team should be in the Super Bowl right now. It was robbed by the refs multiple times but still should have been good enough to win.

The fact that we should have won despite only being better than the 49ers at QB, receiver and kicker simply reflects how dominant this passing attack is.

This team has 3 playoff losses and 3 D lines that were not up to the task. That has to be the top priority to fix

A very big question mark right now is Gonzalez. He was talking after the game like a guy who is going to retire. Hopefully he sleeps on it and realizes just how close this team is to the Superbowl finally after all these years in his career. Physically there's no question he can still produce at a very high level. Hopefully Blank and TD promise him to make big moves to put us over the top and he comes back. If not we will have to adapt.

Let's look at the top free agent targets to get this team where it needs to be

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

This team leads a legit DT/NT, BADLY. The DL is WAY too undersized. They start the game great and then get more and more worn down until the 4th Q when they can't stop the run or get off the field. We need a legit beast that can hold the point vs double teams in the run game, and if he can collapse the pocket too, great. We need to stop the DL from getting washed away and set up 3rd and long so we can get off the field. A legit DT here makes every level of the D much better.

-Terrance Knighton (26): This is a guy who'd probably be well known if he wasn't in Jacksonville. Massive and with the athletecism to get to the QB and blow up runs in the backfield, Knighton is exactly what we desperately need at DT.

-Randy Starks (29): A force against the run and pass, durable and experienced, and a key member of a great Miami front 7. A everydown player who can set the tone upfront in run D to set up 3rd and long, and contribute as an interior pass rusher as well.

-Henry Melton (26) Listed at 295, I'm not sure he provides what we need in run D but is coming off two productive seasons (7 sacks, 4 run stuffs, 6 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 4 run stuffs)

-Pat Sims (27) Short, wide, and heavy Sims is the kind of D linemen that doesnt put up gaudy statistics but destroys running games. He's only played 16 games in 1 season so durability questions may make him available cheap on a 1 year prove it deal.

-Alan Branch (28) Branch is massive. He doesn't put up big stats but certainly has some of that size we need.

-Glenn Dorsey (27) Overdrafted and in the wrong scheme surely Dorsey will be out there. Maybe a team change could give him a chance to re-invent himself like a Justin Smith.

-Sedrick Ellis (27) Not sure we want to bring in anyone from the Saints historically bad D, but Ellis is a former top pick. He had 6 sacks in his 2 first seasons combined, then 6 sacks his 3rd season, then only half a sack the next year and none this year.

-Sammie Lee Hill (26) A massive young DT buried on the depth chart behind Suh and Fairley. Not sure if we want to bring in anyone from the Lions locker room tho.

DEFENSIVE END

We've needed to add a real DE to compliment Abe for many seasons now and have paid the price, best highlighted by Abe getting hurt in the regular season finale. Abe is 34 and always battling injuries but continues to produce at an elite level with no help. He's talented enough to squeeze out maybe 2 more seasons as a pass rusher but I have a hard time seeing him playing at age 37 lol. He needs to be saved exclusively for pass downs and he needs help with legit talent.

-Dwight Freeney (32): The Colts switched to a 3-4, moving Freeney to OLB, resulting in the worst statistical season of his career. No question he wants to move back to a 4-3, no question we make a very attractive destination. He and Abe are exactly the kind of duo we need on 3rd down to get off the field.

-Osi Umenyiora (31): A guy who feels underappreciated in NY, could definately be out the door the way they collapsed. He feels that he's a guy that does not belong on the bench and I think he would be motivated to come here and be a leader as a everydown DE and impact pass rusher. He had 10 forced fumbles in 2010 and he and Abe would do just fine on pass downs.

-Michael Johnson (25): I'd rather go with a proven vet like Freeney or Osi but Johnson has some intrigue. He had 5.5 total sacks in his first 2 seasons, then 6 sacks, then 11.5 this year. He hasn't missed a game and is listed at 6'7 270. He has only 1 career FF and only 5 tackles for loss (vs 23 sacks)but he does have 16 passes broken up and even 2 INTs. Haven't watched him play but Cinci has a talented DL, don't want to pay for another Ray Edwards obviously.

-Cliff Avril (26): Avril has the same Ray Edwards concerns, playing beside Suh and Fairley definately causes some favorable blocking matchups on the outside. He seems to have more of a knack for turnovers than Johnson with 16 forced fumbles in 5 seasons. He also has 39.5 sacks, 5 fumbles recoveries, 1 INT (for a TD), 13 passes defensed and 13 run stuffs.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

Baker is a FA and it will be interesting to see what happens. Largely considered a bust for his career Baker turned in what I guess what was his best season. Is he good enough to pay a second contract? If you're spending that kind of money you might as well spend a bit more if you have a better option.

We drafted an OT in the 3rd last offseason, is he pegged as a future LT or is he a RT? If we could upgrade over Baker and Holmes is ready to step in at RT Clabo could potentially move in to RG and Konz could replace McClure at C and all of a sudden we have a very different looking OL than the one that was better than the previous season but far from dominant.

-Ryan Clady (26): With Peyton Manning on their roster I really doubt the Broncos let Clady hit FA but if he does he would be a no brainer to throw a stack of cash at. As a rookie he was considered one of the very best tackles in the game, he got hurt during an offseason and his play suffered but he seems to have recovered and be back to full strength.

-Jake Long (27): This is a guy who I think is going to be on the market. The Dolphins took him over Ryan and now we can have them both. Tagging him would cripple them and they already drafted a LT who played last season. He apparently has had some injuries in recent years but unless he's got a knee or back problem I think he would be an outstanding pickup and give Ryan the LT he can trust that we need.

-Branden Albert (28): A former 1st round pick who struggled with back problem this year which is never a good sign. If he is infact healthy he's probably an upgrade in talent over Baker.

-Andre Smith (25): A former top 10 pick Smith actually plays RT, and is built like a RT at 6'4 335. Maybe he doesn't have the athletecism to play LT but we could certainly use a road grader like him at RT or RG

Up next TE, RB, SS, CB, LB

I don't disagree that both lines need work. And I'm like you it's time to put a big FA DT on that line Nd draft another Shamu.

The OL I think will be better after draft or FA or even going with what we got, simply because you could see the impact that Pat Hill was making on the OLine as the season progressed. They were pretty good at keeping Matt upright and getting better at run blocking.

But, we have got to get more explosive at RB. Turner needed huge holes to gain any yards. And Quiz is nice but he's not a true stud back. Get a rb to hit the hole harder and with great vision our OL instantly looks better

I can honestly say i've been satisfied with TD's offseason moves so far. I do believe that he's going to have to spend some money on the D-line this year. We were 2 or 3 offensive & defensive linemen away from being in the Superbowl. I looked at our FAs thats already on the roster. Its a lot more than I thought. Its around 14. Mostly players on the bench but key players. D-block needs a few additions but I think TD was really counting on Tatupu.

I think we'll be back. The main focus this year needs to be same attitude but 4 quarters. That was an issue all season since the Peyton Manning game.

Knighton: We seem to have some kind of weird relationship with Jax. This guy would fit us perfectly.

Starks: flourished under Nolan in Miami. Perfect fir.

Johnson: Freeney relies on speed and athleticism, and his age says that if he isn't already losing that, then he will soon. Osi is a whiner, a selfish head-case. Johnson is young, athletic, talented, and versatile.

Lamar Holmes or--- IF HEALTHY!!!--- Jake Long if Holmes isn't ready. Holmes is NOT a RT possibility. He is a pure pass blocker with no history of run blocking ability.

Isn't Andre Smith going to jail for carrying a gun to an airport?

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

Baker is a FA and it will be interesting to see what happens. Largely considered a bust for his career Baker turned in what I guess what was his best season. Is he good enough to pay a second contract? If you're spending that kind of money you might as well spend a bit more if you have a better option.

We drafted an OT in the 3rd last offseason, is he pegged as a future LT or is he a RT? If we could upgrade over Baker and Holmes is ready to step in at RT Clabo could potentially move in to RG and Konz could replace McClure at C and all of a sudden we have a very different looking OL than the one that was better than the previous season but far from dominant.

-Jake Long (27): This is a guy who I think is going to be on the market. The Dolphins took him over Ryan and now we can have them both. Tagging him would cripple them and they already drafted a LT who played last season. He apparently has had some injuries in recent years but unless he's got a knee or back problem I think he would be an outstanding pickup and give Ryan the LT he can trust that we need.

It'd be REALLY interesting to sign Long. If we somehow managed to sign Long, Baker, and Ryan in the same year I'd be shocked.

If Dimi could pull off signing Long...let Baker move on and plug in Holmes at RT slide Clabo over to RG...WOW

It'd be REALLY interesting to sign Long. If we somehow managed to sign Long, Baker, and Ryan in the same year I'd be shocked.

If Dimi could pull off signing Long...let Baker move on and plug in Holmes at RT slide Clabo over to RG...WOW

Holmes can't play RT. His skill set is pure pass blocker. LT and RT are seldom interchangeable positions.

Knighton: We seem to have some kind of weird relationship with Jax. This guy would fit us perfectly.

Starks: flourished under Nolan in Miami. Perfect fir.

Johnson: Freeney relies on speed and athleticism, and his age says that if he isn't already losing that, then he will soon. Osi is a whiner, a selfish head-case. Johnson is young, athletic, talented, and versatile.

Lamar Holmes or--- IF HEALTHY!!!--- Jake Long if Holmes isn't ready. Holmes is NOT a RT possibility. He is a pure pass blocker with no history of run blocking ability.

Isn't Andre Smith going to jail for carrying a gun to an airport?

Sorry to say, but most the players mentioned here and by the OP will be retained by thier teams. NFL franchises very very rarely give up on franchise left tackles or really good D linemen. If they are on the market, there is usually a negative reason why, which means we probably do not want them either.

It's more realistic to expect TD to make a trade for someone who is good and wants out of thier current situation, like with Gonzalez.

Edited by egoprime II

I can agree with a lot of what the OP is thinking. I don't know how realistic it is to go after top free agent DEs. I just know that besides QB, the pass rusher is going to cost big bucks. Falcons will extend Ryan, William Moore will get a new deal as well. I know we have about 7 million under the cap. Hopefully there will be some things moved around and we have room to go get another TE like Jared Cook. Looking at TE salary, a guy like Zach Miller was making 6 million and I think he was the highest paid TEs. The top DE in 2012 made 14 million, (Freeney and Dumervil). I just think the parts fit better addressing DE in the draft.

Either way, the D-line has to be priority. In the draft I would like at least 3 D-linemen.

Michael Johnson would be a great, possibly cheap piece to add up front on DL.

Sidenote: how sick would it be if TD somehow landed Long AND Dorsey? We'd have 4 first round picks from the 08 draft on our squad. Just kind of interesting.

Having said that, I think our OL will be fine next year. Konz slides over to his natural position and we'll probably have an open competition for that last OG spot. The OL wasn't really the issue in the playoffs. They actually played quite well. Run blocking needs a bit of work, but I think we will be ok there. That seems to be easier to coach than pass protection.