Nfc South In 2013

Da Bird is Da Word

Next year will answer some interesting questions for the NFC South. Are the Bucs for real? Can Cam Newton take his team to the playoffs? Will the Saints be a super bowl contender again with Sean Payton or do their problems run deeper than that? Can the Falcons prove their success this year wasn't just the product of a weak schedule or will they rise to the challenge?

ATL is playing Patriots, 49ers, Packers, Seahawks, and Redskins to name a few, plus the three division opponents who we all lost a game to. It's gonna be a tough year. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every team has its issues and every team has realistic reasons to point to winning the division. When Payton returns, NO will have the Div's best O. Atlanta should be second but the way Carolina finished, their O will be a force and should be able to do all of the things we saw Seattle and SF do. TB's O is all dependent on which Freeman shows up - but they have weapons that must be respected.

I think Carolina may have the small lead in the Div's best D race. TB's run D was the best in the league but their pass D was lousy. Atlanta's gave up lots of yards but had generally good red zone D and caused a lot of TOs. NO's D had a year they'd like to forget.

Depending on health, the draft, and FA (like SR says) I expect Atlanta to be a playoff team; but it wouldn't surprise me if they went 10-6 and missed the playoffs cause the NFC is that deep. You gotta think that Dallas, Wash, NYG, GB, Chi, Minny, SF, Sea, and Stl are all legit playoff hopes or expectations.

So far a s the Saints go, unless Loomis/Payton fix the defense with several key playmakers this offseason, I don't see anything better than 9 wins in 2013. But it is early and I'll form my opinion after the draft and free agency.

I can see that too but I think PAYTON will have a lot of input on what happened and we as fans will see a HUGE difference next year.

I agree, if nothing is done on the D side of the ball, we are at best a 9 win team. I really do not think that will be the case though. Old, underperforming, overpaid vets will be gone. The O will get a tune up, the D will get an overhaul. Spags will get some players suited to run his scheme and the D will be a lot better.

I think the Bucs and Panthers will go more to this pistol O stuff. especially the Panthers. They have the read options. Panthers could be hard to stop if they figure that out. Cam is in many ways like Colin. Freeman is a big guy to.

Falcons got some major choices. Tony leaving, Sam Baker is a FA and grimes is a FA and expensive and was out all last year, Is Turner done, what about the S position and we still have 0 pass rush without Abe.

Saints team is pretty solid. They will be the Saints as usual. But if Bucs and Panthers start running that pistol O, like us they could be in trouble trying to stop it.

For the Panthers.......... it will come down to keeping continuity on offense. Dumbazz Chud ruined the offense over the first 8 or so games last season. As long as Keek stays consistent , I believe the defense will continue to be consistent.. defense seemed to take a new attitude once Keek took over at MLB.

Falcons. Improved pass rush and TE will be needed, imo. Can you imagine what their pro-bowl-esque corners would be able to do if they had a pass rush up front forcing the qb out of his comfort zone, on a regular basis? I think Quiz can handle the majority of the RB duties. He's a good, young Rb.

Saints. I honestly don't know what to say about their defense. Their defensive players aren't as bad as they showed last season. Their offense will be as explosive as ever.

Bucs....I don't know much about what happened to them during their collapse. In regards to what they have to fix.

Well the thing that gives NFCS rivals hope is the fact that despite the Falcons and Saints fielding good teams year after year neither have been able to win the division back to back years.

Infact there has NEVER been a back to back NFSC so that makes next year interesting.

Each team has some pretty big holes

The bucs and saints need a nearly a new secondary

The falcons need some major help in front 7.

The Panthers need help all over.

On offense We need a new running back and TE

The saints need some help on the edge as theri tackles got beat up pretty good this year.

The panthers neeed multiple wrs

The bucs are probably the most set on offense coming back in 2013.... maybe a new TE to replace Clark???

Other than that they are pretty solid coming back at the skill positions and on the Oline.

So it is going to be an interesting off seaosn for sure

I'm really excited about next season. I believe the NFCSouth will be the toughest division in the NFL. Realistically any NFCS team can go anywhere from 9-7 to 13-3.

Yeah, I won't be surprised if three NFCS teams have winning seasons. I feel confident a wildcard will come from our division. The Falcons got lucky this year putting together a good season while everyone else was in a slump, but the competition will be much tougher next year--not just within the South but against opponents on the schedule too.

I think the Falcons can put together an 11-5 record if the off season can address some important issues (pass rush and run D) and if the team develops more under its new coordinators. We could conceivably go 10-6 and barely miss the playoffs especially if Gonzalez leaves but I'm a homer and think we'll make another playoff run.

The Saints could easily go 9-7 but I think they might pull off an impressive turn around and have a serious shot at the division. I haven't watched them much this year but if they can just not have the worst defense in the NFL they'll do much better.

The Panthers lost so many games in the fourth quarter or overtime by seven or fewer points and seem to have a solid team on both sides of the ball despite their record. If they just stop finding ways to lose games then the sky's the limit for em'.

I really have no clue about the Bucs. Not saying that to talk smack or anything--I just don't know much about the team or what to expect from them after this season.

I have pretty high hopes for the Falcons, but losing Gonzalez will take a toll on its offense and the other teams in the South can only get better. The Saints have a pretty crappy looking cap situation but it's hard to see them putting together two losing seasons in a row.

Edited by Da Bird is Da Word

Falcons 11-5

Saints 10-6

Panthers 9-7

Bucs 7-9

Falcons

Gonzo will probably come back, we will also draft a TE to learn from him for what will be his Final yr for sure in 2013, Defense will be better, and I say we will be a 3-4 base

Barring Injury I think the team will be even better, but not as many wins

Saints

make a splash and get a couple of big FAs , D will look more like it did in the first game vs Falcons, they will be a threat and right in the mix for south crown.

Panthers

I say they will be better, but they have major cap issues , and lets face it, unless they find a true #1 WR thats not 1000 yrs old, they will again struggle

Bucs

major qb issues, nuff said

all in all , I Believe Falcons will again win south.

yr 2 in Nolans and Kotters schemes

another yr wiser for Ryan

they got a taste, and will want it more

and Its still a QB Driven League

and Falcons have an Elite QB

and the WRs to make him a Future Hall of Famer IMO

Well the thing that gives NFCS rivals hope is the fact that despite the Falcons and Saints fielding good teams year after year neither have been able to win the division back to back years.

Infact there has NEVER been a back to back NFSC so that makes next year interesting.

Each team has some pretty big holes

The bucs and saints need a nearly a new secondary

The falcons need some major help in front 7.

The Panthers need help all over.

On offense We need a new running back and TE

The saints need some help on the edge as theri tackles got beat up pretty good this year.

The panthers neeed multiple wrs

The bucs are probably the most set on offense coming back in 2013.... maybe a new TE to replace Clark???

Other than that they are pretty solid coming back at the skill positions and on the Oline.

So it is going to be an interesting off seaosn for sure

Stick to your team you don't know **** about mine.

Falcons 11-5

Saints 10-6

Panthers 9-7

Bucs 7-9

Falcons

Gonzo will probably come back, we will also draft a TE to learn from him for what will be his Final yr for sure in 2013, Defense will be better, and I say we will be a 3-4 base

Barring Injury I think the team will be even better, but not as many wins

Saints

make a splash and get a couple of big FAs , D will look more like it did in the first game vs Falcons, they will be a threat and right in the mix for south crown.

Panthers

I say they will be better, but they have major cap issues , and lets face it, unless they find a true #1 WR thats not 1000 yrs old, they will again struggle

Bucs

all in all , I Believe Falcons will again win south.

yr 2 in Nolans and Kotters schemes

another yr wiser for Ryan

they got a taste, and will want it more

and Its still a QB Driven League

and Falcons have an Elite QB

and the WRs to make him a Future Hall of Famer IMO

Same for you.

To say the Panthers need 'multiple wrs" is a stretch. SS just had the 4th best season of his career yards wise despite the early offensive struggles, and Lafell would be a nice third option. Plus they have a few WRs that could provide the occasional spark as a 4th option. They really only need a true 2 WR.

They could use another TE though imo as well as o-line and secondary help.

When did the Falcons get an elite QB?

Edited by NYG4

To say the Panthers need 'multiple wrs" is a stretch. SS just had the 4th best season of his career yards wise despite the early offensive struggles, and Lafell would be a nice third option. Plus they have a few WRs that could provide the occasional spark as a 4th option. They really only need a true 2 WR.

They could use another TE though imo as well as o-line and secondary help.

When did the Falcons get an elite QB?

I disagree with you as well on this. People must remember we had a pretty strong offense when Chud didn't have his head up his ***. With tweaks to the O-line and better play calling we move back up on the offense rankings (which we finishes 12th btw but I could be wrong ).

We have a lot of wr on the roster under the age of 25. That will benefit more from better play calling and Cam having more time to look down the field. Then adding another young wr to the mix.

Another TE to go with Olsen could be something to look for later in the draft if we can't bring Barnige back.

I would also like to state that right now on paper the Panthers have the best defense in the south. Because we have the best pass rush. That alone makes us competitive for the south title next year.

Bucs 7-9

Bucs

Hah 7-9? Sorry but we will do way batter than that maybe even better than the Falcons next year. Our schedule consists of

Home: Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Arizona, San Francisco, Buffalo, Miami, Philadelphia

Away: Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, St. Louis, Seattle, New England, N.Y. Jets, Detroit

We'll at least be 10-6, maybe even better if we pull our **** together.

I gotta agree with Reece and stick with your own team.

Edited by Auroch

I disagree with you as well on this. People must remember we had a pretty strong offense when Chud didn't have his head up his ***. With tweaks to the O-line and better play calling we move back up on the offense rankings (which we finishes 12th btw but I could be wrong ).

We have a lot of wr on the roster under the age of 25. That will benefit more from better play calling and Cam having more time to look down the field. Then adding another young wr to the mix.

Another TE to go with Olsen could be something to look for later in the draft if we can't bring Barnige back.

I would also like to state that right now on paper the Panthers have the best defense in the south. Because we have the best pass rush. That alone makes us competitive for the south title next year.

You could make it through this season without another WR, but let's face it, while SS hasn't shown many signs of slowing down, he isn't getting any younger. I agree that you have good young receivers but, I don't think you have a future #1 on that roster right now. If not this year, next year it should be addressed.

Nothing alone makes the panthers competitive until they actually show they are competitive on the field! It is hard to take the team any further than face value when they've only had three winning seasons in over a decade...JS

julio.gif

So almost sweeping the Falcons and beating the **** out of your Redskins isn't being competitive?

That's why people think you're a f'n moron.

You could make it through this season without another WR, but let's face it, while SS hasn't shown many signs of slowing down, he isn't getting any younger. I agree that you have good young receivers but, I don't think you have a future #1 on that roster right now. If not this year, next year it should be addressed.

I agree next year will be the year to address it. But this year we need to give another season to the young Wr to see what we have. When we don't have a OC more concern about getting a HC job then improving the offense.

Hah 7-9? Sorry but we will do way batter than that maybe even better than the Falcons next year. Our schedule consists of

Home: Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Arizona, San Francisco, Buffalo, Miami, Philadelphia

Away: Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, St. Louis, Seattle, New England, N.Y. Jets, Detroit

We'll at least be 10-6, maybe even better if we pull our **** together.

I gotta agree with Reece and stick with your own team.

I think you could do better than 7-9.

Let's say you split the NFCS, I think sweeps will be hard to come by.

3-3

losses to Seattle, San Fran, NE would put you right at 10-6 with no room for error. There is a chance for upsets, but also a chance of losing ones you shouldn't.

Be hard to make a prediction before the draft though, and my predictions are always wrong anyway. laugh.png