Smith Announces That Koetter And Nolan Will Be Back

Atlchamp99

I don't think our defense was capable of pouring piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel yesterday but (for now) I'm still high on Nolan I hope we get him some better talent and see what improvements he can make with another offseason to work with.

The trenches on both sides are going to have to improve though or the honeymoon isn't going to last for either coordinator.

Atlanta_Falcons @Atlanta_Falcons

Smith: Our players are disappointed but we did some good things. Offseason program starts week of April 24th so we'll start all over again.

Smith met with players this afternoon. Called it a tough meeting.

Smith says Matt Ryan has a sprained left shoulder. If the Falcons would have won, he would have played in two weeks. #RiseUp

Ryan will not participate in the Pro Bowl. Ryan will not require surgery. #RiseUp

Smith: It was not our goal this year to just win a playoff game. It was a good learning experience. #RiseUp

Expand

Reply Retweet Favorite More

Smith says Koetter and Nolan will be back. Called them an outstanding addition to the staff. #RiseUp

Smith: I'm hoping for the 5%, but Tony handled this well all season. Tony and I will have a conversation in the next few weeks. #RiseUp

Smith will be at the Senior Bowl tomorrow morning, looking at the next crop of college players. #RiseUp

Smith will be at the Senior Bowl tomorrow morning, looking at the next crop of college players. #RiseUp

Smith: I think we need more playmakers across the board. That's the goal every year. #RiseUp

Expand

Spoon on his gut feeling on Tony: "I think he's coming back." #Ris

Smith says Matt Ryan has a sprained left shoulder. If the Falcons would have won, he would have played in two weeks. #RiseUp

Oh Smitty you'd say that even if Patrick Wills had torn Matt's arm clean off his shoulder.rolleyes.gif

Spoon on his gut feeling on Tony: "I think he's coming back." #Ris

Hope Spoon knows something. :)

Good.

Both guys helped us get over the hump this year.

Dk was exceptional in the playoffs.

Nolan was great in the first halvs.........but for the first time all year we did not have good second half adjustments on defense.

Lets give them both some new toys to work with and see if we can improve on 13-3!

Good.

Both guys helped us get over the hump this year.

Dk was exceptional in the playoffs.

Nolan was great in the first halvs.........but for the first time all year we did not have good second half adjustments on defense.

Lets give them both some new toys to work with and see if we can improve on 13-3!

We scored a total of 10 points in the second half of two playoff games combined, while giving up 42 points. Both coordinators got the brakes beat off em in the second half of our two playoff games and need to do much better next year.

Is it all on the coordinators, or player execution? Serious question..

I would think it was a little of both.

The D obviously wore down as the game went on. Then Ryan bobbled the snap, White fell down on his route causing an INT, Nicholas let the 49ers continue their drive with a stupid personal foul. Coaches can't affect those types of things.

But you would have thought that Nolan would have found a way to get a CB or S covering Vernon Davis, but he didn't. The D stopped Kaeperprick but couldn't contain Gore. Surely Nolan's plan was to stop both.

The biggest, singular mistake that Smith and Koetter made was in not utilizing the running game like it should have been used. Any team that is to make the playoffs, the NFC championship, and the Super Bowl, must have a strong balanced attack, especially with a good and strong running attack that wears an opponent down and kills the clock. Why did Smith and Koetter not emphasize the running game with the three (3) good to great running backs the Falcons have in Turner, Rodgers, and Snelling? There is no excuse for the Falcons in losing the game like this. Didn't they learn from last week's playoffs game? The Falcons must become a four quarters football team by finishing off their opponents, sealing the deal, and putting their opponents away in all their games on both sides of the ball. Don't even talk to me about next season. The time was and is now! When will the Falcons will finally get it right? Too many unanswered questions. Enough said.