If You're Blaming This Loss On Anybody On Offense, Get Your Head Out Of Your A$$

Robb4242

San Francisco punted 3 times the entire game. On each of the first 2 series, SF went 3 & out & punted. They did not punt again until 10 seconds were left in the game. If you want to blame anybody, start with that. The defense could not stop SF after that 2nd series. Put it on Nolan if you want. The biggest change up I saw after than 2nd series was taking Moore off of Vernon Davis & trying to cover him with Nicholas. That didn't work against Seattle & it didn't work against SF, but we stuck with it. Not sure why that change was made. Nicholas had a pretty bad day overall and he should be getting a good bit of the blame here, but he's not the "name" guy so it seems like nobody cares that he was a liability in each of the last 2 games. There is plenty of other blame to go around on the defensive side of the ball as well. There's still not anybody on that side that knows how to tackle. The analysts who brought out that point in each of the last 2 weeks were spot on. It's something several of us on this board have been complaining about since about week 3 or 4.

Defense is what we need to fix this offseason. We've done a good job of grooming this offense. If we block like we did the last 2 games, we will put up a lot of points. But, if you're asked to win a shootout every week because your D can't stop anybody, then you're still going to be losing games you should win, like this one.

I finally think I've found the right way to say what I have to say about this game.

The offensive side of the ball left the defensive side of the ball a small bit of room for error, by building an early lead and by responding to the game coming within 3 points with a touchdown drive to end the half.

The defensive side of the ball, after the first two series, left the offensive side of the ball no room for error. And so when those errors came, they were deadly.

It's not even that San Fran scored points off them. They didn't. A missed field goal and a fumble at the one-yard line.

But WE needed the points we would have had without those costly miscues.

We needed every point we could get.

Our defense's play left us no other option.

Team loss. Heart-breaking, gut-wrenching team loss.

I finally think I've found the right way to say what I have to say about this game.

The offensive side of the ball left the defensive side of the ball a small bit of room for error, by building an early lead and by responding to the game coming within 3 points with a touchdown drive to end the half.

The defensive side of the ball, after the first two series, left the offensive side of the ball no room for error. And so when those errors came, they were deadly.

It's not even that San Fran scored points off them. They didn't. A missed field goal and a fumble at the one-yard line.

Well said!

Perfectly stated.

It's a team game . The offense could have bailed out the defense with 2 mins left inside the red zone

They didn't . The offense could have put away the 49ers with a score on Ryan fumble . It's a two way street . The defense was at fault and the Falcons offense never bailed them out . Both parties are to blame . It's a team loss . We should expect better as fans

I agree that it was a team loss.

The O could not sustain drives in the second half --that put the D back on the field

The D had 2 very costly personal fouls- most times they are able to overcome those mistakes but this time both came at precisely the moment the 49ers need a break to keep moving

I'll give the O a high five for that last drive even if they did not score --pretty gutsy of Ryan with that bad left arm..

It's a team game . The offense could have bailed out the defense with 2 mins left inside the red zone

They didn't . The offense could have put away the 49ers with a score on Ryan fumble . It's a two way street . The defense was at fault and the Falcons offense never bailed them out . Both parties are to blame . It's a team loss . We should expect better as fans

Yep, team sport, team loss.

If we had just one more defensive stand, we win.

If we had just one more offensive TD, we win.

I blame Vernon Davis for being wide open and Frank Gore for running through open lanes. Seriosly my grandfather in his hoveround could be a good rb against our line. On the other hand the offense definitely puts up enough points to beat anyone. Just need a defense that can get more than 3 stops a game.

I noticed something in our play calling. It seemed like the 9ers had no answer to our down the field passing game. Pass plays between 10 and 20 yards were like taking candy from a baby. Running plays and passes within 5 yards from the line of scrimmage were usually defended well.

So, what do we do to start the second half, all short passes and run plays. When we did go to the pass for 10 to 20 yards we were unstoppable! I can understand making adjustments when the defense starts to stop what you're doing but what I don't get is why did we stop doing what was working?

I'd have to lay the blame on Mike Smith... He needed to make sure we kept doing what was working. There is absolutely no reason to make adjustments when what you were doing was already working!

Well stated. I will also say this: The money is on the Offensive side of the ball. This team was built for the offense to carry the load almost as much as the NE Patriots are. Therefore the Offense has to assume the responsibility.

This, honestly by the second quarter I couldn't see much difference between yesterday's defense and the one that lined up against the Packers in 2010. The offense had to be near flawless yesterday to match the ineptitude of our D and unfortunately we just couldn't get it done.

I agree that it was a team loss.

The O could not sustain drives in the second half --that put the D back on the field

The D had 2 very costly personal fouls- most times they are able to overcome those mistakes but this time both came at precisely the moment the 49ers need a break to keep moving

I'll give the O a high five for that last drive even if they did not score --pretty gutsy of Ryan with that bad left arm..

We had drives of 3:09, 4:49, & 7:10 in the 2nd half. We won time of possession in the 2nd half 15:52 to 14:08 (believe I added that correctly). The turnovers were costly, but like BC said, they didn't turn into SF points. That was the only bright point for the D yesterday.

Well stated. I will also say this: The money is on the Offensive side of the ball. This team was built for the offense to carry the load almost as much as the NE Patriots are. Therefore the Offense has to assume the responsibility.

thats the point ryanettes cant grasp. blaming the defense when weve invested so heavily in propping up matty *** is ridiculous.

Ignore instructions:

Click on your username on the right.

"Manage Ignore Preferences"

Scroll to bottom "Add a New User to My List"

Type "Matty Pennington", and check boxes to ignore.

Do not engage the child, it's that simple.

It started pouting and getting angry in the other thread when people were ignoring it.

Show some self control and self-moderate towards those with the clear agenda.

It's on you now....

It's a team loss but I am more upset with the offense. It's not about statistics. It's about rising up to the moment. Our team is designed around its offense. If we were to win a SB with this team, it was always going to be up to the offense. We have way more talent on the offensive side than defensive side. The leader of this team is on offense. Our D was supposed to just give us something average and they overachieved greatly during the regular season. Our O on the other hand was expected to be spectacular and they were for one half. Sadly that's not enough.

Our D played poorly but giving up 28 points to SF is right about average (they scored 27 point or more in 10 games out of 17 they played this season. Our O was magnificent in first half but you can't disappear in a game like this. When you're leading by 10 at half, and your defense gives up 14 points in the second half, you should win that game if you have any claim to championship.