This Is Basically The Same Defense People!

The Vent King

With what he had to work with I think we were fortunate to have had Nolan here. Remember the last two, three, maybe FOUR years? Probably longer??We were the absolute worst at 3rd down stops. Teams STILL run it down our throats save a game here or there. With a lack of personnel moves for what ever reasons, Nolan statistically however made the best of this same defense. They were better where he COULD make them better.

Having said that, and not just cause of what happened in these playoffs but because its been our problem for years, it's time to focus on the defense now that the offense is more than adequate. Those harping on the offense's collapse I counter with this. What if they put 24 pts over the course of the game and not just a half, would u still blame them? Yea a fg here or there would make a difference, but with our D the offense ALWAYS has to make that difference. That has to wear on Matt and co. has to! Or do u see that defense, our defense looked like free turnstile day at Marta when it mattered most - the 2nd half? Everybody can look good with fresh legs in the first, but stout defenses show up after adjustments are made after the half as strong if not stronger in the 2nd half. We hv never done this, hence all the last minute dramatic stress inducing comeback wins. You HAD to know sooner or later that we'll would run dry.

Fixing that D will result in more quality definitive wins and not the last minute wins that garner little respect like we've been getting forever. I distinctly remember the only times we were talked about like we had a chance to go all the way from friends, adversaries, and even the media this season was the two or three games (N.Y., Eagles, Broncos) our defense played all four qtrs. we have to have that to get past this point in the future.

We can't hang our hopes on winning it all on miracles. That well is dry.

Thoughts?

Edited by The Vent King

The 2010 BVG defense was better than the 2012 Nolan defense in just about every category, including 3rd down%:

Points Allowed per game = 18.7

Yards allowed per game = 365.6

Pass yards allowed per game = 242.4

Rush yards allowed per game = 123.2

Yards allowed per play = 5.9

Sacks = 29

INTs = 20

Forced fumbles = 11

3rd down% = 40.5

First downs allowed = 298

Points Allowed per game = 18.0

Yards allowed per game = 332.4

Pass yards allowed per game = 226.6

Rush yards allowed per game = 105.9

Yards allowed per play = 5.6

Sacks = 31

INTs = 22

Forced fumbles = 9

3rd down% = 39.3

First downs allowed = 284

The 2010 BVG defense was better than the 2012 Nolan defense in just about every category, including 3rd down%:

Sacks = 29

INTs = 20

Forced fumbles = 11

3rd down% = 40.5

Sacks = 31

INTs = 22

Forced fumbles = 9

3rd down% = 39.3

Ouch. Was disappointed Nolan couldn't find away to confuse these young gimmick QB's. He better start doing some research at the college ranks, on how to stop these QB's. Then get the players to execute the scheme. We have Cam twice Wilson and Kap again.

I posted on this earlier. Nolan did an admirable job of coaching the players we already have, not those that he'd probably prefer to have. We need another off-season to bring in players that fit his scheme's strength. Defense was not our strong suit this year, but I believe we finished top 10 in scoring on defense and offense, so it was not completely horrible.

With that being said, I'm hoping Nolan get a ton of input on putting the draft board together this year. We need to have a much better team to become the squad that we want to become.

Failed to see the point. We STILL couldnt get off the field on 3rd downs last year. PERIOD.

And my point was if we couldn't get off the field on third down last year then how can you expect us to improve this year with inferior personnel. Nolan, contrary to what a lot say on here, is not a miracle working.

Sacks = 29

INTs = 20

Forced fumbles = 11

3rd down% = 40.5

Sacks = 31

INTs = 22

Forced fumbles = 9

3rd down% = 39.3

Don't forget this though FFS..

2010 play-offs GB 48 ATL 21

Its a huge difference to what we saw yesterday.

BVG isn't in the same class as Mike Nolan also when it comes to coaching aswell.

I questioned our front 4 at the beginning of the 2012 off season you remember,all the Mario talk right in the end it came back to bite us and hard.

And my point was if we couldn't get off the field on third down last year then how can you expect us to improve this year with inferior personnel. Nolan, contrary to what a lot say on here, is not a miracle working.

He is somewhat. That secondary was horrendous with the SAME personnel minus our best DB in Grimes and they were the biggest improvement outside of the Matt Ryan/Julio combo on this team. Without Nolan coaching them up to higher levels we do not make the playoffs.

Ouch. Was disappointed Nolan couldn't find away to confuse these young gimmick QB's. He better start doing some research at the college ranks, on how to stop these QB's. Then get the players to execute the scheme. We have Cam twice Wilson and Kap again.

Yea, him and nearly every DC in the game. An besides, where are the stats from 2011. If we are just going to arbitrarily pull stats from any season why go two years ago. Oh cause they regressed since 2010 in 2011? And then somehow, maybe due to Nolan, improved?

Don't forget this though FFS..

2010 play-offs GB 48 ATL 21

Its a huge difference to what we saw yesterday.

BVG isn't in the same class as Mike Nolan also when it comes to coaching aswell.

I questioned our front 4 at the beginning of the 2012 off season you remember,all the Mario talk right in the end it came back to bite us and hard.

Don't forget the 2010 GB offense was prolific by the time they reached the playoffs. Much better than the SEA or SF offenses we played this season. Also we gave them points on turnovers by our offense which was turrible in that game. Lest not forget that the BVG defense got a sack, a turnover and held them to 17 points in a regular season win over GB that year. I'm not saying BVG is a better DC than MN, only that his 2010 defense was just as good or better than MN's 2012 defense.

Yea, him and nearly every DC in the game. An besides, where are the stats from 2011. If we are just going to arbitrarily pull stats from any season why go two years ago. Oh cause they regressed since 2010 in 2011? And then somehow, maybe due to Nolan, improved?

The stats from 2010 were pulled in response to this comment which is wrong:

Remember the last two, three, maybe FOUR years? Probably longer??We were the absolute worst at 3rd down stops.

Maybe just maybe these Qbs are actually good.

Those harping on the offense's collapse I counter with this. What if they put 24 pts over the course of the game and not just a half, would u still blame them? Yea a fg here or there would make a difference, but with our D the offense ALWAYS has to make that difference. That has to wear on Matt and co. has to! Or do u see that defense, our defense looked like free turnstile day at Marta when it mattered most - the 2nd half? Everybody can look good with fresh legs in the first, but stout defenses show up after

I guess the Falcon "D" got no stops in the 1st half so the "O" could get going?

As a matter of fact, I think the Falcons "D" pulled out a few games for us this season.

The team is designed for the "O" to carry us. You can't remove blame from the "O" in the 2nd half.

Don't forget the 2010 GB offense was prolific by the time they reached the playoffs. Much better than the SEA or SF offenses we played this season. Also we gave them points on turnovers by our offense which was turrible in that game. Lest not forget that the BVG defense got a sack, a turnover and held them to 17 points in a regular season win over GB that year. I'm not saying BVG is a better DC than MN, only that his 2010 defense was just as good or better than MN's 2012 defense.

I will conceed it seems that in 2010 the pass rush seemed to be better but I don't believe the scheme was.