Smiths Biggest Gaff Yesterday

Steampunk

The whole season boiled down to TWO plays from the 8 yd line. YOUR QB IS HURT AND SHAKEN. Who doesnt understand you take a time out ( you have 2) to regroup, settle your QB down and get everyone on the same page. This is it you are NOT getting the ball back so why save the fn time outs. Smith screwed up , simple, period. As he has a tendency to do

he doesnt see clearly in a lot of big moments.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So now its Harry fault cause he got a 1st down instead of a touchdown? LOL!!!!!!!!!!

That guy should have been gone to the house. Inexplicably he slowed and sped up again as though he was still trying to beat a db. he was all alone...incredible. mabye the ball looked like a duck comgin toward him. who knows, but i was sure as shiz happy he stumbled all over himself.

Matt can call a TO if he wants, even if he couldn't raise his left arm above his hip. He didn't want one and neither did the coaches.

Swap Brady and Bellichik and Pats for all the stupid threads here today and look how stupid it sounds. Yet the Pats have not won the big one in 8 years, longer than Smith and Ryan have been together.

Pats scored 0 second half points.

Pats D gave up 3 scores in 2d half.

Brady choked in 2d half of the game and threw 2 int.

Bellichik chokes in big games and gets out coached.

Stupidity. It's darn hard to win in the playoffs for anyone.

We started trying to run the clock down when we got up 17-0. That's how we do. Smith likes to get a big lead and play vanilla hoping the clock runs out before they have time to score more points than we have. It's like a marathon runner having a big lead and then start walking because he thinks the other guy will not have time to beat him to the finish line. Most of the time the marathon runner (imaginary of course) judges his lead properly. Sometimes he misjudges and loses the race. Smith won the race last week but lost it this week. It's his philosophy. Why he does it I have no ******* clue.

Why is it some coaches fall into a barrel of pickles and find a pickle, while others come out with a rotten Koch?....is it just bad luck, or a product of not knowing the difference between the two?

So apparently the same argument fits both Mark Richt and Mike Smith? Catching the opposition off guard?...failed x 2!

Timeouts would have hurt us in two ways. We were in the hurry up, so it would have given SF time to regroup, and we needed to convert. It was a late hit that should have been called. You guys are so much into this fire Mike Smith BS, that you obviously didn't watch the same game.

I never said fire Smith once you a hole, I watched every second of the game. Meanwhile you run around this message board jumping in every thread calling people names that you disagree with. Get a life.

Mike Smith has some good coaching qualities, but as far as making sensible, coherent decisions in game situations, he's basically a trainwreck waiting to happen. I say he should let Koetter or Nolan be the in-game field general and just stand way back behind the bench out of everybody's way.

Ok, honest question here.

I just re-watched the highlights (wow, that was painful to do), and it says we DID take a time-out before the 3rd down.

Honestly, I didn't recall that, but emotions were running very high in my living room, lol.

If that is indeed the case, obviously I retract my criticisms.

We definitely didn't take a TO. We had two coming into the last drive (used on after what should have been a personal foul for throwing Snelling to the ground after the whistle) and used both after turning the ball over on downs.

I don't even know why people are arguing over this. There is no question we should have taken a TO after Ryan hit. Of course Ryan could do it, but that's a very big decision. It was up to Smith to make that call.

We definitely didn't take a TO. We had two coming into the last drive (used on after what should have been a personal foul for throwing Snelling to the ground after the whistle) and used both after turning the ball over on downs.

I don't even know why people are arguing over this. There is no question we should have taken a TO after Ryan hit. Of course Ryan could do it, but that's a very big decision. It was up to Smith to make that call.

Yes, you're 100% right. As soon as I posted that, I deleted it, because I recalled how pizzed off Matt was when he had to use the time-out earlier in the half. Which meant we obviously only had two remaining. My bad.

I think that Belicheck's mentality in these situations is the winningest approach. When you have a chance to hurt the other guy, take it. Its like being in gunfight. You're first task is to shoot the other guy. You cant win by trying not to get shot. Shoot the other guy first and he cannot shoot you. It takes big *** balls to win a tough fight.

Edited by Flip Flop

Yes, you're 100% right. As soon as I posted that, I deleted it, because I recalled how pizzed off Matt was when he had to use the time-out earlier in the half. Which meant we obviously only had two remaining. My bad.

Niners called a TO then. I believe that they thought that we would score. If Brooks had not knocked the pass down, and it was completed, they would have called another one.

Looking at a bigger picture. That wasted timeout in the third quarter costed us another drive. We could've had 1:00 left instead of ten seconds to score once again if the offense was set up right that play

Hindsight is 20/20

You dont need hindsight to know that timeouts are precious.

We lost because of two unforced turnovers on offense and the play of our defense. Nothing much more to it than that. People are making a whole lot of assumptions about the state of Matt Ryan and the benefit of a time out at that point. What if during the time out the arm stiffened even more?? Thinking strategically at that point we needed our time outs in case we didn't get the conversion to keep hope alive and give us a chance at A) Blocking the punt B) Returning the punt for a TD or C) Hail Mary. Who knows if it was the right move or not, obviously, since we lost by a small margin you can point at every single missed play and error and blame the **** game on it. If Ryan doesn't fumble, if HD doesn't trip etc etc etc... The team played well overall, but you are going to lose more often than not when you turn the ball over and fail to defend. Those were easily the two big reasons for the loss.

We lost because of two unforced turnovers on offense and the play of our defense. Nothing much more to it than that. People are making a whole lot of assumptions about the state of Matt Ryan and the benefit of a time out at that point. What if during the time out the arm stiffened even more?? Thinking strategically at that point we needed our time outs in case we didn't get the conversion to keep hope alive and give us a chance at A) Blocking the punt B) Returning the punt for a TD or C) Hail Mary. Who knows if it was the right move or not, obviously, since we lost by a small margin you can point at every single missed play and error and blame the **** game on it. If Ryan doesn't fumble, if HD doesn't trip etc etc etc... The team played well overall, but you are going to lose more often than not when you turn the ball over and fail to defend. Those were easily the two big reasons for the loss.

if the plan was to save those timeouts in case we failed why where we draining ther clock out? Shouldve been one or the other.

why dont you guys get it......the whole game was lost when we gave them 3 back to back TD's the momentum changed......our defense was pure garbage! all 3 qtrs.

DEFENSE is the reason Matt Ryan or this city has not got SB!

Give Matt ...ravens defense & you will get back to back SB in our backyard!

Let's quit disecting plays on final drives.....the defens should have just kept that lead onhand in 4th qtr to make & Matty would have ran the clock out!