Smiths Biggest Gaff Yesterday

Steampunk

You are on the 8 yd line and have 2 shots to go to the superbowl , Your

QB takes a massive hit and is clearly shaken and hurt, with TWO timeouts

which are pretty much useless why not use one and regroup on the sideline.

No, we run 2 quick plays, Matt doesnt look ready and it seems we were not

clear on what we were trying to do.

Again, Smith panics and is in a hurry to get in the endzone but his offense

was not ready imo. 2 shaky plays are unsucessful and here we are.

IMO Smith has no clue in a lot of big moments, just like leaving Seattle

with a shot in the endzone after he ran down the sideline screaming for a time out after gonzo caught the pass before the go ahead field goal. He should have let the clock run down more, simple. Again, he panics and a small thing

could have turned into disaster.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Atleast call a t.o. to get your play together on the sidelines and everyone has their assignments.

Exactly, you dont need to save time outs for another drive , THIS WAS THE LAST DRIVE

thats what drives me nuts, a simple timeout could have been the difference . Gives Ryan

a breather, get everyone on same play and run the right plays. It was like a big panic and they blew it.

100%. The reason we didn't do that is for the same reasons we never have as much success in the second half of games. We play not to lose in the second one half. Smitty need his timeouts in case we didn't get it. He should have used the time outs and trusted his defense to not give up the entire field in 1 minute. With the way Nolans defense played though, can't really blame him.

I'm taking this loss better than any of the other recent losses but I'm still fuming at the idea that we don't take advantage of situational football. For a chance to play I am the super bowl none the less!

100%. The reason we didn't do that is for the same reasons we never have as much success in the second half of games. We play not to lose in the second one half. Smitty need his timeouts in case we didn't get it. He should have used the time outs and trusted his defense to not give up the entire field in 1 minute. With the way Nolans defense played though, can't really blame him.

I'm taking this loss better than any of the other recent losses but I'm still fuming at the idea that we don't take advantage of situational football. For a chance to play I am the super bowl none the less!

Yeah ok, but is Smith blind?? you have a QB that is clearly hurt and rattled , you need to

get in the endzone period, no matter what. A time out would have been a big benefit, those

last 2 plays were terrible, the product of a hurt QB that is rushing to run plays that were not thought out. They were winging it on those last 2. Again, Smith fails in a crucial moment, you

cant do that in this situation. You have a minute thirty or so left why rush with a rattled QB,

that was just dumb.

Yeah ok, but is Smith blind?? you have a QB that is clearly hurt and rattled , you need to

get in the endzone period, no matter what. A time out would have been a big benefit, those

last 2 plays were terrible, the product of a hurt QB that is rushing to run plays that were not thought out. They were winging it on those last 2. Again, Smith fails in a crucial moment, you

cant do that in this situation. You have a minute thirty or so left why rush with a rattled QB,

that was just dumb.

I assume he was figuring that if we didn't convert, two timeouts would at least give our offense the potential to touch the ball one more time.

But the way the time was winding at that point, there was never a true chance that we could do anything with one more possession.

It all came down to that redzone drive.

So yes, I say go all in and work with the timeouts you have.

When your notoriously tough QB is wincing and grabbing at his shoulder before the two most important downs in your history as a head coach, I say call the timeout.

I assume he was figuring that if we didn't convert, two timeouts would at least give our offense the potential to touch the ball one more time.

But the way the time was winding at that point, there was never a true chance that we could do anything with one more possession.

It all came down to that redzone drive.

So yes, I say go all in and work with the timeouts you have.

When your notoriously tough QB is wincing and grabbing at his shoulder before the two most important downs in your history as a head coach, I say call the timeout.

Glad I 'm not the only one who thinks this, that was the critical point in the game. I would

take giving Matt 2 plays from the 8 yd line to get to the superbowl any day of the week.

He needed a time out to re group and get 2 designed plays off, thats on Smith.

We played a whole season to get down to the 8 yd line with the ball in your best players hands to go to the SB and Smith handled it so poorly when it counted most.

Sounds logical but in the heat of battle things happen fast, sometimes too fast---but given enough time we could second guess JFK's decision to ride around in an open car that fateful day

If that pass play before the last (3rd down play) wasn't tipped we win! What would you have any differently given a timeout?

Edited by Nono

I agree with this but I think Harry Douglas is getting quite the pass from the media/these boards.

Harry has the game in his hands if he just makes an easy play. And he doesnt....he falls to the ground and barely holds on the football....turning a game winning play into a "big third down conversion"

At the time I was so happy to get the third down conversion it didn't even really register what we could have had.

In hindsight, this play was critical because it would have prevented Ryan's injury.

Anyone believe that even if we had pulled it out on 3rd or 4th down, we'd win the Superbowl with a QB whose shoulder is sprained?

Still, hindsight is 20/20. No way the injury could have been predicted.

That's what really bothered me in that drive. We were more concerned about eating up clock than scoring.

Koetter called a great game up to the last series in that drive. Up to that point we picked yards after yards only with pass plays. Running Quizz on the first down was a waste of down. We really played the clock instead of playing to score.

Had we scored with 40-50 sec on the clock we could still tie or lose but that's the conservative mindset I don't like in Smith. I hope he learns.

I agree with this but I think Harry Douglas is getting quite the pass from the media/these boards.

Harry has the game in his hands if he just makes an easy play. And he doesnt....he falls to the ground and barely holds on the football....turning a game winning play into a "big third down conversion"

That's a good point but I thought Matt's pass didn't lead Harry. Also, I thought they really didn't want to score quickly. They wanted to score with no time left on the clock. I'm not saying Harry fell on purpose but I think it didn't go against their plan.

so what do you think the niners would have been doing during that time out while WE were regrouping. nah, they wouldn't have been using that extra time to regroup or talk about their options on defense..........

geesh some of you people

Well if you really want them not to regroup then go no huddle. The OP's point is that Ryan took a huge hit, you've got to give him time to regain his composure. And then you have a fourth down, you still don't think it's time to regroup and make sure you have perfect execution? That was just dump coaching by Smith.

so what do you think the niners would have been doing during that time out while WE were regrouping. nah, they wouldn't have been using that extra time to regroup or talk about their options on defense..........

geesh some of you people

And??????????? ****, we were eating their "Regrouping" @$$ up already. The timeout was for us. Matt was shaken, he need time to get himself together and we could work out the kinks of the play we were going to run. Dayum!!