Why Can't We Make 2Nd Half Adjustments?

BirdWeisErrr_2

That's on the coaches.

Our bend but don't break defense is broke. Shouldn't have won last weeks game with that same **** mentality.

How many other times has this happened in Smith's career as Falcons HC?

What other idiot coach starts running the clock out in the 2nd quarter that eventually allows the other team to come back?

How many times have we let a come back after we have had a decent lead?

What do we do, go in with a 1 page playbook and when the other teams figure that out we hope the clock runs out before they catch up?

It would be nice to think we just aren't there yet. But I do not feel that way at all. Player wise I believe we are as talented as any team in the NFL. Coach wise we are ****.

I think that the team's problem isn't making half time adjustments...I think the problem is making adjustments on the fly. I think we lack the ability to make proper adjustments standing on the sidelines when things get bad. We are normally in the lead when the third quarter starts...so there is no adjustment needed (yet). But then once the other team comes out and shows that they have made the necessary adjustments (because they are down in points), we don't or can't counter their changes. I think that is our most shining weakness...in my opinion.

I think that the team's problem isn't making half time adjustments...I think the problem is making adjustments on the fly. I think we lack the ability to make proper adjustments standing on the sidelines when things get bad. We are normally in the lead when the third quarter starts...so there is no adjustment needed (yet). But then once the other team comes out and shows that they have made the necessary adjustments (because they are down in points), we don't or can't counter their changes. I think that is our most shining weakness...in my opinion.

Yea, but it seems like we used to be able to make second half adjustments (defense) earlier in the season. What happened to that?

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement.

Agreed. This D is not in the top half of the league talent-wise. When

a) you don't have a DL that can get pressure on the QB, and

b )you lack a LB fast enough to cover the TE

you're stuck, somewhat. You can try blitzing (which the Falcons did in the 2nd half, bringing a LB up the middle), but again, lack of LB speed keeps that from being very successful. Also, blitzing only means getting Kaepernick on the run, which is what they wanted to avoid. Nolan was playing solitaire with 50 cards. He could only plug so many leaks. Ultimately, the way the 2012 roster was built to win was for the Offense to score 30 points. It would have won yesterday's game. This D needs several more players to be "talent-wise, as good as any in the league." SEVERAL.

Edited by Kaptain Krazy

I think Mike Smith and Mike Nolan are very capable of making adjustments. This defense is limited in the quality and style of our players. We cannot schematically adjust into something where we create mismatches in favor of our opponents. As our defensive roster grows and adjusts to Coach Nolan's scheme we will see more schematic adjustments deployed

throughout the games. We have some really fine quality defensive players. We just have to finish this roster. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Can we afford to resign John Abraham or can we somehow replace him?

Edited by *TMo*

Player wise I believe we are as talented as any team in the NFL.

You see that right there is the problem, on defense we are NOT as talented. You can tell your team what adjustments are needed but if they lack the talent, stamina, or "dog" in them or whatever you can talk t your blue in the face it won't matter. We simply to not have the stoutness or talent that other successful teams have hence the 2nd half collapses. Our offense true has that talent, but are mentally fragile due to them knowing or feeling like they know that defense will fold sooner or later. That's our teams problem. Talented but finessed and soft on offense, defense that has heart and not soft, but lacking in talent. We have to fix that about the defense.

Edited by The Vent King

Yea, but it seems like we used to be able to make second half adjustments (defense) earlier in the season. What happened to that?

Playoffs is what happened. Teams turn it up another level. We did also, in small pockets, but add in turnovers with lack of adjusting and not upping the level of your play and that is a recipe for losing.

Talented but finessed and soft on offense, defense that has heart and not soft, but lacking in talent.

I really like that statement . I think you are spot on. I must admit though, I have actually been surprised at how well our offensive line has held up in the two playoffs games. We all know that they are not the best and have played worse at different times throughout the year, but they (the line) and the entire offense played well enough for us to win that game.