My Thoughts On "smitty Ball" Or "taking Your Foot Off The Gas"

Flip Wilson

I look at both the Seattle game and the S.F. game and as I analize the way that we lost them, my first thought is that it wasn't "Smitty Ball".

If you look at the second half of the Seattle Game, we were going for the jugular when Ryan threw the long pick. After the pick we failed to execute on 3rd down on two consecutive drives. We were also not at all conservative in the 2nd half of yesterdays game. We certainly tried to move the ball. We just failed to execute.

BUT (and that is a big but), the culture of "Smitty Ball" has set us up to fail in these situations. We have zero practice at going for the knockout punch, therefore, we fail when we are in a situation that demands it. If we would have kept the hammer down all season on teams that we should have beaten by 21 points or more then we would have established a different culture, the culture of a dominant team. Dimitroff is from the Belichick line of thought. Mike Smith is not (Also see Nick Saban from the Belichick chain. He is certainly not afraid of running up the score.)

Here's my dillema, there's a lot that I like about Mike Smith. I like his locker room. I like disciplined football. Do we have to throw the baby out with the bath water or can Smitty change his way of thinking and become a guy that can go for the jugular starting in week one and keep that hammer down until we have won the Super Bowl?

Edited by Flip Wilson

I liked the 17-0 start, but I knew it was way too early and that the Niners wouldn't let up. I've always been worried that the Falcons didn't have that killer instinct to really lay the hurt on teams, like that X factor that separates good teams from great ones. I agree with you. The playcalling was there, but the execution wasn't.

I liked the 17-0 start, but I knew it was way too early and that the Niners wouldn't let up. I've always been worried that the Falcons didn't have that killer instinct to really lay the hurt on teams, like that X factor that separates good teams from great ones. I agree with you. The playcalling was there, but the execution wasn't.

Great first post. Welcome.

Do we have to throw the baby out with the bath water or can Smitty change his way of thinking and become a guy that can go for the jugular starting in week one and keep that hammer down until we have won the Super Bowl?

I don't think we do. This happens to a lot of teams all the time. It just looks bad for us because we're insanely good in the 1st quarter. To me, that means we're very prepared.

Also, we have to look at the teams we played. Seattle and SF have 2 of the top defenses in the NFL. They also have great offenses. We don't have a good defense. Nolan is very good, but we simply DO NOT have enough talent on defense. Our pass rush is DREADFUL. To win big games, you must put more pressure on the QB. Wilson and Kaepernick had all day.

Edit - I haven't seen it since, but the guys on NY radio are saying it was clearly PI on Roddy on that 4th and 4.

I don't think we do. This happens to a lot of teams all the time. It just looks bad for us because we're insanely good in the 1st quarter. To me, that means we're very prepared.

Also, we have to look at the teams we played. Seattle and SF have 2 of the top defenses in the NFL. They also have great offenses. We don't have a good defense. Nolan is very good, but we simply DO NOT have enough talent on defense. Our pass rush is DREADFUL. To win big games, you must put more pressure on the QB. Wilson and Kaepernick had all day.

Edit - I haven't seen it since, but the guys on NY radio are saying it was clearly PI on Roddy on that 4th and 4.

I think there is no question that it was PI but I also feel that we got a break on Harry's catch.