Why Do We Always Have To Be The Small But Quick Team?

quick8

In my 40+ years following this teams every move I just dont understand why, especially on defense, we are never the bigger, stronger team compared to our opponents! Every time this organization gets close or into the playoffs we always run up against the more "physical" team! I for one am tired of being the whippin boy team! We need to draft heavy, sign heavy on defense and focus on becoming the bigger stronger team for once! Until we are the bully and not the bullied, this organization will never win a championship! It is what it is! Lets get the Nick Saban (Alabama) mentality! NO MERCY EVER!!

In my 40+ years following this teams every move I just dont understand why, especially on defense, we are never the bigger, stronger team compared to our opponents! Every time this organization gets close or into the playoffs we always run up against the more "physical" team! I for one am tired of being the whippin boy team! We need to draft heavy, sign heavy on defense and focus on becoming the bigger stronger team for once! Until we are the bully and not the bullied, this organization will never win a championship! It is what it is! Lets get the Nick Saban (Alabama) mentality! NO MERCY EVER!!

yep we are small alright but quick?? Don't think so. We are small and slow, defense needs to take notes from 49ers and fire everyone on defense because they are all pretty garbage in reality

Thats what TD has built and what he prefers.

.....and has proven to be a losing formula over the past 40+ years! Definition of insanity! Hey this does not work so lets keep doing it! Time for TD to change his mind on what he thinks works or we will get no further!

yep we are small alright but quick?? Don't think so. We are small and slow, defense needs to take notes from 49ers and fire everyone on defense because they are all pretty garbage in reality

Right there as well, we really are not quick either! Even more reason to change!

.....and has proven to be a losing formula over the past 40+ years! Definition of insanity! Hey this does not work so lets keep doing it! Time for TD to change his mind on what he thinks works or we will get no further!

I know right. Small and quick never wins unless you get a bunch of turnovers. You need big strong physical guys on the DL. I like the way the Niners and Seahawks are built. A strong physical team.

Starting today they need to start scouting and getting physical guys.

Every coach wants big, strong, fast players. The problem is in the NFL you can't just pick the cream of the high school crop. You may find a guy that's big and strong, but slow and poor technique wise. Or a fast guy who's unbelievably quick, but undersized. The human beings who have it all in one package are few and far between (how many Julius Peppers are there walking around planet earth), that's why every coach must adopt a philosophy of one or the other and build his team accordingly.

The Falcons chose to sacrifice speed for size. Teams like the 49ers and Seahawks, they went the other way. Speed does work by the way. Quickness against bigger, slower o-linemen can destroy an offensive scheme, especially if the defense is technique sound - run fits, crisp tackling, etc. The problem with the Falcons is they're lacking the pass-rushing skill to go with that speed and they continually break down assignment wise. I've seen the linebackers struggle for the past 3 years to properly play match coverages and pass off receivers in zones, and it was the same story yesterday.

There is no right or wrong philosophy here. In the end you look for the best athletes. Both have been proven to work. It's just as fans any year we don't win a Super Bowl we immediately want drastic changes. Kinda like how years ago when the Falcons had a 3-4 everyone started clamoring for a 4-3; now it's just the opposite.