We Would Not Be In This Position With Any Other Qb

Guest Negatorris

Guest Negatorris

All those games where we've had to come back in the 4th quarter to win were because of Matt Ryan. Without him, we would probably not have won as many games as we have in the last 5 years. When Brady won all those Superbowls, and playoff games he had a great defense to back him up. Belichik seemed like a defensive genius back then, and he had a bunch of good players, including our own Asante Samuel.

In Brady's 3 playoff appearances that resulted in Superbowl wins, his defense only gave up 20+ points in 3 occasions, and two were in the Superbowl. We all know BB with a lead, will show no mercy and you'll have to play near flawlessly to come back. For 5 years, we've had the same issue of not putting teams away. It rarely cost us because Matty Ice Ryan and Matty Ice Bryant both are as clutch as they come, but it's an obvious coaching problem that Mike Smith has yet to address because it hasn't cost us... Until now. I remember when we had that 24-14 lead on Carolina, and then after we had won at the last second, Mike Smith comes to the podium and starts giggling, asking "Did we make it exciting enough for ya?".

We have yet to hold playoff opponents to under 21 points in the Mike Smith era, and we'll never get to a SB if we don't. It's been going on for a long time and it's obviously a coaching problem. The defense went "GB-esque" against the Hawks in the 4th quarter. Matt Ryan and the offense can play well enough to win against any defense... I witnessed that yesterday, and I'm sold on Dirk Koetter. I can't see us NOT working on the defense through the draft and free agency, so next season we should see if it's a personnel problem, or a coaching problem. Sole players don't win Superbowls, teams do and there is no way we win by just placing all of the workload on the offense.

Other than that, it's been a great year I guess. We finally got that playoff win and Ryan showed he is as elite as they come. No doubt in my mind he'll lead us to a SB if the defense gets better. There was really only one team on our schedule who we didn't beat. We'll have our shot at redemption next season. I'm not even angry, just disappointed. These next 7-8 months will probably fly by for me. I'm looking forward to seeing our team next year as it'll probably look much different.

I was somewhat on the fence about Ryan before the season started. I'm not any longer. If people can't see the progression in virtually every part of his game after this year then they should hire Stevie Wonder to help them get around.

All those games where we've had to come back in the 4th quarter to win were because of Matt Ryan. Without him, we would probably not have won as many games as we have in the last 5 years. When Brady won all those Superbowls, and playoff games he had a great defense to back him up. Belichik seemed like a defensive genius back then, and he had a bunch of good players, including our own Asante Samuel.

In Brady's 3 playoff appearances that resulted in Superbowl wins, his defense only gave up 20+ points in 3 occasions, and two were in the Superbowl. We all know BB with a lead, will show no mercy and you'll have to play near flawlessly to come back. For 5 years, we've had the same issue of not putting teams away. It rarely cost us because Matty Ice Ryan and Matty Ice Bryant both are as clutch as they come, but it's an obvious coaching problem that Mike Smith has yet to address because it hasn't cost us... Until now. I remember when we had that 24-14 lead on Carolina, and then after we had won at the last second, Mike Smith comes to the podium and starts giggling, asking "Did we make it exciting enough for ya?".

We have yet to hold playoff opponents to under 21 points in the Mike Smith era, and we'll never get to a SB if we don't. It's been going on for a long time and it's obviously a coaching problem. The defense went "GB-esque" against the Hawks in the 4th quarter. Matt Ryan and the offense can play well enough to win against any defense... I witnessed that yesterday, and I'm sold on Dirk Koetter. I can't see us NOT working on the defense through the draft and free agency, so next season we should see if it's a personnel problem, or a coaching problem. Sole players don't win Superbowls, teams do and there is no way we win by just placing all of the workload on the offense.

Other than that, it's been a great year I guess. We finally got that playoff win and Ryan showed he is as elite as they come. No doubt in my mind he'll lead us to a SB if the defense gets better. There was really only one team on our schedule who we didn't beat. We'll have our shot at redemption next season. I'm not even angry, just disappointed. These next 7-8 months will probably fly by for me. I'm looking forward to seeing our team next year as it'll probably look much different.

Agree D is to blame. Nolan as well... Needed to make a change to adjust and didnt do it

Nolan did a great job considering what he inherited coming here. Can't win the Grand Prix in a Corolla. The defensive personnel or lack thereof forces Nolan to make what appears questionable decisions I believe. Can only work with what u have or as Samuel Jackson said in the movie "Juice":

"I don't care how much syrup you pour on ish, it don't make it pancakes..."

Agreed. I'm as disappointed as anyone about the outcome, but those claiming that "the window is closed" don't have a clue what they are talking about. This team is going to be good for a long time. Tony or no Tony next year, I think the offense will stay dynamic and won't miss a beat. You can't replace TG for sure, but I really believe Julio is coming into his own. The defense relied on timely turnovers all season (and while they got the fumble against Seattle and San Fran), it just wasn't enough to overcome the pitiful tackling. I'm not sure the defense is as bad as it looked, but the players are not being taught to form tackle. And that's a problem. Too many guys in the secondary just throw themselves at players or go for the strip when the player isn't wrapped up first.

For real.. Does anyone think Colin Keapernick could have made any of those throws Matty was making? Colins guys were WIDE OPEN vs our sieve defense, all he had to do was aim and shoot . Our guys were all in tight coverage and Matty had to ut it on the money.

That's what was the most sickening to me. ANY quarterback could have completed the passes that Kap was because our defense left a 10-yard f***ing radius around every 49er. It was infuriating.

Our offense let us down when it counted most, but it never, NEVER should have come to that.

too bad hes got a noodle arm and cant thread it like the good ones

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

That argument was solidly put to rest this year.

Ryan's mistake yesterday had nothing at all to do with arm strength or threading the needle (he made amazing throw after amazing throw against a top-notch defense); his mistake was a fluky fumble.

Unfortunately, it was a very costly mistake.

too bad hes got a noodle arm and cant thread it like the good ones

What? LOL Noodle arm? . Yesterday Matty was on the money.. on the INT, Roddy fell down.. and if HD doesnt hesitate and fall on his catch thats a TD.. also Bowman made a great tip on a ball to Quizz that also would have been a TD.

That's what was the most sickening to me. ANY quarterback could have completed the passes that Kap was because our defense left a 10-yard f***ing radius around every 49er. It was infuriating.

Our offense let us down when it counted most, but it never, NEVER should have come to that.

For real.. he was just setting and aiming.. 2 weeks in a row we let the TE run free consistently on intermediate routes.

I think there are any number of QBs in this league who could have excelled in Atlanta. Matt Ryan had a great season and a pretty good playoffs, but let's not kid ourselves about where he stands in the NFL QB hierarchy. For months, people have been lamenting the lack of national media respect. Now they understand why....if they choose to acknowledge that.

I think there are any number of QBs in this league who could have excelled in Atlanta. Matt Ryan had a great season and a pretty good playoffs, but let's not kid ourselves about where he stands in the NFL QB hierarchy. For months, people have been lamenting the lack of national media respect. Now they understand why....if they choose to acknowledge that.

We didn't win yesterday, and I'm not satisfied, but making it to the NFC Championship isn't that bad....

Oh, and I lol'ed at the idiot that called in on 92.9 last night and said Vick would have been a better QB for ATL.

Edited by Joe Halt