Aggressive Offseason

I will start with this: Thomas Dimitroff gets too much good credit in the media.

Yes, the Falcons have gone through a massive turnaround with TD in charge from the Vick/Petrino debacle.

He hit on the most important decision: Matt Ryan at #3 overall when many questioned his place as a high 1st rounder.

After that though, he hasn't set himself apart where many good GMs do. He's actually been down right terrible, and what I'm talking about are the mid rounds. It's much easier to give up a ton of picks that you usually miss on anyway to move up to #6 and get a can't miss prospect. It is also much easier to trade draft picks that most teams covet for already proven veteran players. We have been the #1 team in trading draft picks for veteran players, and some people think TD highly values his draft picks. I think he knows his poor draft record and would rather take the safer, but more expensive route, of getting veteran proven players. You can't look "dumb" trading a 7th for Asante Samuel, or a 2nd for Tony Gonzalez. It's impossible. You can look dumb by taking a TE in the 2nd round and he ends up like Michael Egnew in Miami who a lot of people here loved last offseason but he's a total joke down there (google it).

"Hits": QB Matt Ryan

signing RB Michael Turner (this has turned into a miss as of this year since we kept him as our feature back and didn't add a RB that could help shoulder the load. The Ravens brought in Bernard Pierce, the Eagles brought in Bryce Brown, the Texans used a high pick on Ben Tate, etc. etc. We got Quizz, and he's a fine role player but today showed that he can't be a RB to count on in the NFL)

trading up for WR Julio Jones

trading for CB Asante Samuel

trading for TE Tony Gonzalez

drafting both of our safeties in the 2nd and 3rd round (I don't know how much of a hit this really is since vs. quality opponents in the playoffs they were horrible)

drafting Sean Weatherspoon (1st round)

sort of drafting Kroy Biermann in the 5th, but he should not be in a heavy rotation. He had 0 pressures in the entire playoffs. He's only a "good" player because he need him to play a lot due to not having any other DE.

"Misses":

trading up to draft Sam Baker

every CB he's ever drafted

signing DE Ray Edwards

not bringing in any pass rush help

drafting Peria Jerry

any OL ever drafted (pending Konz move to Center)

any pick after Round 3

Now that you can really think about his record, I hope you see that TD prefers to go the veteran trade/free agent route than the draft route. He knows missing in the draft is the quickest way to get fired (also giving out big free agent contracts) so he goes for good "value" free agents and goes for them in bunches. Who knows, maybe we win today if we had Mario Williams as the LDE opposite John Abraham. We sure as **** would have had more pressure and maybe Mario makes a big play. Ray Edwards was a ******* joke answer to our pass rush needs.

And look at what this draft brought us in terms of impact: nothing. Konz was an okay right guard, but would have been on the bench all year if not for a Reynolds injury. Lamar Holmes in the 3rd provided nothing. And we were looking to add extra impact to get closer to the SB. One game closer, no added impact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With all of that being said, I think TD feels that he and Smitty may be on the hot seat a little bit and I think they are. Not because of this season, but we had the easiest schedule in the NFL this season and as the #1 seed may have the hardest schedule in the league next year. We could pretty easily not make the playoffs next year like the NY Giants because we will draw every divisions' best team on our schedule, and also faced much improved Panthers, Bucs, and Saints teams 2x a year.

I believe TD knows this, and will continue his pursuit of proven veteran players who can add to our team. If he misses in the draft again and we don't make the SB, I think Coach Smith could be gone and TD with him. No more fingers on Matt Ryan, as TD hasn't gotten it done as the GM with the draft and that's most important. To avoid that, look for us to be active in landing a big fish in free agency this year and active in the trade market. No more "value" free agent like Ray Edwards and Lofa Tatupu. Those didn't work out and can't afford another.

With CB Brent Grimes gone, RB Michael Turner cut (saves $6 million), and maybe even Tyson Clabo cut (saves $6 million at least) and Lamar Holmes inserted into the line up at RT, we have plenty of cap space to make a move.

Move #1) Re-sign Sam Baker. We can't afford an elite LT option and improve our team, and Baker held his own in the playoffs. We can win with our line, and I don't think Holmes is a step down from Clabo at this point in his career. Getting Reynolds back as RG and Konz moving to center is all our line needs. No other OL moves made this offseason.

Move #2) Let Willy Mo walk, and use the same exact money we would have paid him on SS Laron Landry -- a faster, better tackling version of William Moore himself. I love Willy Mo, and I've explained this in another thread in the TATF forum, but we need to make some improvements. Our safeties were atrocious in the playoffs, period. We already extended DeCoud, and ideally I would have liked to keep Moore and bring on Ed Reed as free safety, but Decoud and Landry are a better fit skillset wise than DeCoud and Moore. It would be a cold calculated move, but I'm not okay with the safety play in the playoffs and I don't want us to come undone during Matt Ryan's career like that all the time on the back end. They'd cost the same amount, but Landry is a better player and only one year older. He runs a 4.3 and can play man to man on guys like Vernon Davis, Zach Miller, Jimmy Graham, Martellus Bennett, Jermichael Finley, etc. -- guys we will see in the playoffs).

Move #3) Sign DE Cliff Avril. This is our big fish. Younger than Mario was when he hit FA, Avril can play 4-3 LDE and 3-4 OLB giving Nolan a more diverse player to use. He's 1000x better than Biermann and Nolan can use him in that role. He'll cost a lot but we have the cap space to get this guy. Re-signing Baker to a value deal, giving Laron Landry Willy Mo's money, cutting Michael Turner, (maybe cutting Tyson Clabo) and re-signing Matt Ryan to free up 2013 cap space allows us to do this AND make more moves.

Move #4) Sign Leodis McKelvin to a short-term value deal (the only one I am allowing TD to make). McKelvin has 1st round talent, but his run is done in Buffalo. He brings two things we desperately need: a starting caliber CB who is young, and a great return man. We desperately need a return man, as HD and Franks are pretty horrible. Letting Weems go was a mistake and TD knows it -- Weems could have changed the game for us today. With Grimes gone, we also need insurance against an injury to Dunta or Asante. We run a base nickel, so we need 4 good CBs and we've only had 3. Dunta gets hurt often because he throws his body around, and you can't fight through a concussion. I think McKelvin in our press-cover aggressive D would be a good fit and could jump start his career. He's looking to go somewhere for playing time at CB instead of just return man, and playing in our dome is something I'm sure he'd love. Asante only has another year I believe on his deal, so McKelvin would have a clear path to a starting job. This would keep McClain in at the nickel spot in case of an injury to Dunta or Asante which is best for our team, and gives us extra good cover guys in passing situations that we currently lack. Owens and Franks have been TD busts.

Move #5) Trade back from our 1st round pick to Minnesota for their late 2nd rounder and WR Percy Harvin. I've explained this several times, and I believe Minnesota will take this deal and if someone doesn't offer a better one. Harvin wanting out, his injury problems, and his one year left on his deal will not grant them greater value in a trade. We can give them HD if they want, many people in the media still cling to this idea that HD would be a 70 catch #2 WR on other teams and hopefully the Vikings buy that. He's made some reliable catches in the playoffs, but he's been far from dynamic. MIN also wants traditional WRs, so here you go. Percy will be electric for us in the slot, and on returns if we need him there. He can be used out of the backfield like a RB, which would be big near the goal line, and he would take over the third #1 receiving role for us going forward. We can pay him because he would be getting TG's salary going forward. We were paying TG in the range of $7.5 million per year, which is exactly what Percy will be getting or less even.

Move #6) I think we get TG back for one more year. Look at Bettis in Pittsburgh when Roethlisberger got him to come back for one more saying "I will get you a Superbowl ring". He came back, and it happened. Bettis was also a shell of himself then and played in a rotational role. TG is still a Top 3 TE in the entire NFL, and can be highly effective. I think after an offseason of fishing, doing some of his cooking/healthy eating shows and feeling fully healthy, he'll get the itch and Matt Ryan will be calling him all year.

This means before the draft we have added or brought back:

LT Sam Baker $

SS Laron Landry $$

CB/RS Leodis McKelvin $

DE Cliff Avril $$$

WR/RS Percy Harvin $$

TE Tony Gonzalez $$

Now for the draft, without the TE, OL, and SS need:

2a) Margus Hunt, DE, SMU or Tank Carradine, DE, FSU

We can take the best DE available here to add to our rotation. Both of these guys have major upside and can brought along in a rotation with Cliff Avril, John Abraham, and Kroy Biermann. Either one would become a starter when Abe is done, and gives us a much more fearsome pass rush in 2013 and going forward. This is essential to our getting over the hump into the SB. We didn't pressure CK at all today except for one Peters play. It was pathetic. We need to get to the QB to win, and this rotation will do it.

2b) Eddy Lacy, RB, Alabama

I've been a Marcus Lattimore guy, but I'm fine with taking Lacy here. We need a guy who can be a menace from Day 1, and Lacy would have been our best RB on the field today. He's a great mix of power, speed, surprising agility, and good hands out of the backfield. Quizz showed that he can be a good 3rd down back with very good blocking in the playoffs, but we need a feature guy. Lacy can be the guy. I really like the Jamal Lewis comparisons. He's a faster Michael Turner, and lord knows we need speed and power, not just one or the other.

3) Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia

Our run defense has become pathetic. One way to change that is to draft a behemoth and stick him in the middle in run situations to take out the A gaps and allow our LBs to flow to the ball. Too often do the guards get to the LBs and let the RB go free to the end zone -- we saw it twice today on untouched TD runs. Geathers is a little raw, but he has a ton of potential. He also opens up our defensive scheme, allowing us to move to 3-4 which is easier to stop the zone-read option with outside backers on each side. Avril and Carradine/Abe as our 3-4 OLBs would be quite nice. This helps our rush D more than pass D, but the 3-4 ability could help our pass rush, so it's an even positive.

4a) Jordan Hill, DT, PSU

More D-Line help. Babineaux has been good this season, but he's only getting older. Don't let Corey Peters two good plays today make you think he's an answer inside because he **** sure isn't. Hill is a very underrated prospect and reminds me of Geno Atkins. Same fire plug build, same ability to generate pressure inside. Babs isn't going to play forever, and we need someone to be able to take over for him. His lack of size and amazing workouts will let him slide to here, which is great for us. A DT rotation of Babs, Hill, Peters, Geathers, and Walker will be very good. To go with our new revamped DE rotation, we'll be great.

4b) Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon

Injuries can happen, and we can never have enough good RBs. Turner is gone, and Snelling is gone soon, and Quizz can't handle the load. Qiuzz can be a part of the puzzle, but a peripheral one. With the selection of Barner, our backfield is very much like New England's in a good way. Eddy Lacy will play the main feature back Ridley role, Kenjon Barner will play the Shane Vereen role, and Quizz can play the Danny Woodhead role when we need a pass blocker or good receiver or sneaky runner who won't take the attention of the D. That kind of backfield, with our receiving group of Julio, Roddy, TG, Percy, and HD (or Kevin Cone if HD is in the trade) is unbelievably dangerous. He can also enter the return competition. But we need more talented backs period.

5) Kenny Tate, OLB, Maryland

We can't get Alec Ogletree, but we still need more cover backers. We got torched today, particularly Stephen Nicholas, in coverage. I think as Nicholas has gotten older he's become worse in coverage, but we don't have anyone else (Dent, James, etc.) so he's stayed in. We need Nicholas to stay in base nickel sets with Spoon, but in sure passing situations like the entire 2nd half today I'd like to be able to sub him out for a LB that can cover TEs and slot WRs with some ability. Kenny Tate is a very athletic prospect without a true position, but he may find a home as a cover linebacker in Nolan's prime defense: the nickel. Tate, a converted 6'4 220 lbs strong safety, can play LB next to Spoon and take a guy like Vernon Davis all over the field. We need someone like that, and we get him for a value. He won't offer much any other time, but this position is crucial for our success since we can't get a 3 down stud LB like Alec Ogletree. He can also play SS at the goal line in run sets to add some beef to our defense.

6) Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State

Went with this "knucklehead" over Mathieu, but since we signed McKelvin and have McClain we don't need him and we don't need him for returns either with McKelvin and Percy on board. Wilson played like a 1st round talent this year, but left the Washington State team. He's a 6'4 possession receiver with great hands, and need maturing and coaching. He can play immediately in 4 WR sets and be a factor in the red zone, which we desperately need. Long term he could be a big pick for us. He's got a ton of talent. We need to bring him along like we did Roddy White. Wilson and Julio could be the starters for a long time if things go right.

7) Duron Carter, WR, son of Chris Carter

Carter went from Ohio State to Alabama to some small school to no school at all and now he's declaring for the draft. Carter was a premier HS recruit and has oodles of talent at 6'5 and 220 lbs with 4.4/4.5 speed. Great hands like his father and ridiculous body control. Everything I said above applies to Carter. I'm sure his father would be happy he ends up in Atlanta where we can bring him along like Roddy, and he can be in a supportive environment with Matt Ryan as the QB in a dome. Importantly he can come along slowly, and never receive more than single coverage. These last two picks -- we only need to hit on one, so why not double down on our odds. If we hit on both, then we should **** well win a few Super Bowls because there will be no better offense in the league. But if one of them works out, then we have Julio, Roddy, Percy, and one of these 6'4+ stud possession receivers to go with TG and eventually a new TE.

This offseason works within our cap limits, but most importantly TD aggressively fixes some major areas of need: DT, DE, and RB. And we maintain a competitive advantage at WR.

We add two new RBs, two new DTs, and two new DEs. Also three new receivers are coming to town to make sure our passing attack stays elite and even takes a step further. I think our OL is fine, it's everything else that needs tweaking.

QB: Matt Ryan

RB: Eddy Lacy / Kenjon Barner / Quizz

FB: Bradie Ewing

WRs: Julio Jones, Roddy White, Percy Harvin, Kevin Cone, Marquess Wilson, Duron Carter

TEs: Tony Gonzalez, Chase Coffman

LT: Sam Baker

LG: Justin Blalock

C: Peter Konz

RG: Garrett Reynolds (or Tyson Clabo)

RT: Lamar Holmes

Base Nickel Defense:

LDE: Cliff Avril / Kroy Bierman

DTs: Babineaux / Geathers / Hill / Peters / Walker

RDE: John Abraham / Tank Carradine

WLB: Sean Weatherspoon / Akeem Dent

SLB: Stephen Nicholas / Kenny Tate for coverage downs

CBs: Asante Samuel / Dunta Robinson / Robert McClain / Leodis McKelvin / Dom Franks

FS: Thomas DeCoud

SS: Laron Landry

K: Matt Bryant

P: Matt Bosher

KR: Leodis McKelvin / Kenjon Barner

PR: Percy Harvin / Leodis McKelvin

2014 needs: a new TE to replace TG (trade up for Austin Seferian-Jenkins, stud prospect from Washington), CB. That's right, two needs, and one is for the future (CB).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TD and Smitty on the hot seat??....not.

A complete roster overhaul??...not going to happen. I don't think the cap will support all the FA signings/trades.

On the draft I like your use of the first pick on a DE. Smart move. Not a fan of drafting 2 RBs and 2 WRs. Plus the WR picks are brutal. Again picking players that won't even be on TDs board.

Dude I usually like what you have to say but our o line was FAR from the problem in the playoffs, the move of Konzto C and Reynolds back at RG will significantly improve the play of the line and help create better running lanes for runningbacks. The only thing your doing with this mock off season is creating a huge roster overhaul that isn't needed. If it wasn't evident before it is clear right and center now, D line needs a girth DT and a pass rushing DE. If we got those two things you would see STRIDES in our defense, possibly Nicholas could be on the bubble, seems like he was responsible for Vernon Davis.

I think you are over thinking and creating more problems then the Falcons actually have, Clabo is for sure not the problem, defense is the problem and look for TD to make a splash on that front.

forgot to add as well, if you think William Moore is bad in coverage you'd love Laron Landry, he constantly is out of position and is solid against short routes and defending the run that is it, anything deep he is burnt, he looks for more of the hit then Moore does, Moore when healthy is easily one of the top SS in the league, he is a play making hard hitting SS which is why we need to resign him.

forgot to add as well, if you think William Moore is bad in coverage you'd love Laron Landry, he constantly is out of position and is solid against short routes and defending the run that is it, anything deep he is burnt, he looks for more of the hit then Moore does, Moore when healthy is easily one of the top SS in the league, he is a play making hard hitting SS which is why we need to resign him.

Agreed. I stopped reading there. Admittedly, I just should have stopped reading at the idea of TD fighting to save his job, but I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. You want to let go one of the best players on this team, simultaneously killing the chemistry he has with Decoud on the field, in order to sign an even more injury prone player that struggles even more in coverage? After the game, I decided to stay away from the boards for a little bit so that I could avoid all the overreacting idiots, but, apparently,I should have waited longer.

Edited by hjerry

Agreed. I stopped reading there. Admittedly, I just have stopped reading at the idea of TD fighting to save his job, but I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. You want to let go one of the best players on this team, simultaneously killing the chemistry he has with Decoud on the field, in order to sign an even more injury prone player that struggles even more in coverage? After the game, I decided to stay away from the boards for a little bit so that I could avoid all the overreacting idiots, but, apparently,I should have waited longer.

haha I came on and read but didn't post, the emotions i was going through was just ridicules, my favorite are matty isn't the answer or like this TD fighting to save his job, TD made this place an amazing and top of the line organization, free agents are attracted here and veterans come here for a superbowl run, I love everything about this team and the things people say are ridicules, fixing the defense is the only problem, I'd to see us get one of Gillislee, Taylor or my Fav Joseph Randle, The topic's were ridicules yesterday lol

Edited by Adam3328

haha I came on and read but didn't post, the emotions i was going through was just ridicules, my favorite are matty isn't the answer or like this TD fighting to save his job, TD made this place an amazing and top of the line organization, free agents are attracted here and veterans come here for a superbowl run, I love everything about this team and the things people say are ridicules, fixing the defense is the only problem, I'd to see us get one of Gillislee, Taylor or my Fav Joseph Randle, The topic's were ridicules yesterday lol

Well, I wouldn't say that defense is the only problem. Offensive line still needs to be adressed somehow. I'm not sure whether that means we need to add someone new or not, but it does still need some work. RB needs to be adressed, and we may even double dip there. TE needs to be adressed even if Tony stays; we need depth there. If he does leave, we may double dip there. However, after that, yeah, it's all defense. The defensive line needs some different type of guys than we have now; some power guys to with our speed ones, and vise-versa. Meanwhile, LB, CB, and S need depth across the board, not a complete overhaul, but definately, a retooling. CB, in particular, may need a lot of work depending on what gets done with the guys we have now.

Agreed. I stopped reading there. Admittedly, I just have stopped reading at the idea of TD fighting to save his job, but I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. You want to let go one of the best players on this team, simultaneously killing the chemistry he has with Decoud on the field, in order to sign an even more injury prone player that struggles even more in coverage? After the game, I decided to stay away from the boards for a little bit so that I could avoid all the overreacting idiots, but, apparently,I should have waited longer.

Idiot? Easy to talk tough behind a computer pal, but this isn't as radical as you'd assume.

Whoever named "The likes of Vance Walker, Kroy Biermann, Michael Palmer, Drew Davis, Cliff Matthews, Quizz Rodgers" --- that's what we got out of several TD drafts! How can people even count Cliff Matthews -- who was terrible and has been stuck on our bench for two years -- Michael Palmer, who is terrible, and Drew Davis who has barely stepped on the field and made an impact.

The rosey glasses that people view our team through, it's pretty insane. I'm as big a Falcon fan as anyone -- go read anything I've written. But I can be objective where other people will say: TD is great! He brought us Michael Palmer! And Cliff Matthews!! What great pieces for this team to be a contributor!

Compare TD's years of rounds 4-7 vs. any other team, and we have the worst -- I truly believe that.

And William Moore is not better than Laron Landry, that is insane. I love Moore, as you do obviously as well, but Landry is a higher impact player. The only pro Moore has over Landry is his chemistry with DeCoud and I listed that. But how did that chemistry help us cover Randy Moss, Vernon Davis, and Michael Crabtree yesterday? A big fat zero, that's how. There were out of place and Davis was constantly WIDE OPEN when we were playing 2 deep zone. It was pathetic. Sorry if you don't want to admit that.

And yes, IF we miss the playoffs and it's very possible considering our schedule next year (see: Giants this year) then I think TD and Smith could be gone. That would be a major step backward. That is going from Rise Up to Plummet Down.

That is not a complete overhaul -- our offensive line stays intact. TG comes back. Our LBs are basically untouched, as are our CBs.

We use the draft to add a ton of D-Line help and some RBs. We trade down and add Percy Harvin, and we sign one big FA in Cliff Avril. So we get 4 new starters in an offseasn and that is what we should be aiming for when using high round picks and free agency.

We thought we did this last year by signing DE Ray Edwards and drafting OLs Peter Konz and Lamar Holmes -- we cut one, one rode the bench all year, and one only entered the line up because of injury and was OK as a guard. That is not good, especially cutting our big FA signing because we totally missed. That's pathetic.

Instead, we get the FA DE we need in Avril and he's a permanent starter. We take a DE early who is a rotational player, not a starter, but is an immediate contributor like Bruce Irvin in Seattle. We take a RB early who is our starter, and a pair of DTs in the mid-rounds, one of which will win a starting job next to Babs. And we swap out Moore for Landry. If the safety switch is your problem, then forget it. Moore can easily come back, but if we continue to flame out in the playoffs because our safeties are not covering the deep middle and letting TEs run free 20 yards down field -- then what will you say.

You're the idiot pal. That is all.

Otherwise, this team is intact.

I don't particularly like any of these moves and all these trades make it unrealistic. I don't think we need a complete overhaul, but I do think we need to start taking more chances on players who have higher ceilings who fall on draft day.

We have needed pass rush for a long time and have passed on guys in the middle rounds like Michael Johnson, Justin Houston, Greg Hardy, and Geno Atkins for guys who simply do not have nearly their potential. Now it is coming back to haunt us because we don't take chances on drafting the high upside guys who can turn into gems.

Another example is a guy like Lamar Miller who fell on draft day, but had 1st round talent at RB. Who knows what he could have done on a team like ours who didn't really have a #1 back and lacked a home-run threat. We passed on him for Lamar Holmes who probably would have been available in the 5th or 6th round. Hopefully he pans out.....But Baker has rebounded well and Clabo is under contract for a few more years. We really have no where to play him unless we eliminate a starter.

We could have gotten a legitimate option to replace Michael Turner, but instead we are left with a gaping hole at RB once he is likely cut this offseason........And probably just a backup offensive lineman in the short-term.

Those type of moves are what frustrates me about how TD drafts players.

That might be the worst draft I've ever seen on here. I see one maybe two solid contributors outmod there.

Obviously you haven't looked into Duron Carter's background. Wilson isn't that great if a WR, he doesn't get any separation

You sound like someone who said Mike Williams wasn't a good WR in the draft, despite being a 1st round talent, and wouldn't succeed in the NFL. Wilson also has 1st round talent, 6'4 size. Look at his per game stats when active. I don't know much about Carter other than as a 7th round pick he's worth the risk for a 6'5 WR with great bloodlines and upside. You aren't going to get a starter or even contributor in the 7th, we usually cut our 7th round picks. We can give this guy a chance.

As for the draft, we fill our DE need in free agency and our depth CB need. Taking Margus Hunt, Eddy Lacy, Kwame Geathers, and Jordan Hill are all major impacts for us. Same with Kenjon Barner. And same with Kenny Tate. What happens if yesterday we had Kenny Tate to come in for Stephen Nicholas on those 3rd and longs to help cover Vernon Davis. Perhaps they don't convert a 3rd down to a wide open Davis, and we end up preventing a score. That's all the impact you need from a late round pick.

Better than a TD-esque William Middleton, Chevis Jackson, Wilrey Fontenot, Keith Zinger, etc. etc. pick who all get cut. It's pathetic.

TD and Smitty on the hot seat??....not.

A complete roster overhaul??...not going to happen. I don't think the cap will support all the FA signings/trades.

On the draft I like your use of the first pick on a DE. Smart move. Not a fan of drafting 2 RBs and 2 WRs. Plus the WR picks are brutal. Again picking players that won't even be on TDs board.

Not to mention an overhaul of a roster that was 4 points and one incomplete pass from the SB is stupid. We have a nice nucleus and team chemistry. Don't need a wrecking ball

You sound like someone who said Mike Williams wasn't a good WR in the draft, despite being a 1st round talent, and wouldn't succeed in the NFL. Wilson also has 1st round talent, 6'4 size. Look at his per game stats when active. I don't know much about Carter other than as a 7th round pick he's worth the risk for a 6'5 WR with great bloodlines and upside. You aren't going to get a starter or even contributor in the 7th, we usually cut our 7th round picks. We can give this guy a chance.

As for the draft, we fill our DE need in free agency and our depth CB need. Taking Margus Hunt, Eddy Lacy, Kwame Geathers, and Jordan Hill are all major impacts for us. Same with Kenjon Barner. And same with Kenny Tate. What happens if yesterday we had Kenny Tate to come in for Stephen Nicholas on those 3rd and longs to help cover Vernon Davis. Perhaps they don't convert a 3rd down to a wide open Davis, and we end up preventing a score. That's all the impact you need from a late round pick.

Better than a TD-esque William Middleton, Chevis Jackson, Wilrey Fontenot, Keith Zinger, etc. etc. pick who all get cut. It's pathetic.

I don't want to fill DE need unless it's a big name guy who can get us 10+ sacks a year. Even if their was we don't have the money to sign him.

I dont see us making many free agent moves at all besides cutting and resigning some core players. The trade for percy move, while possible its highly doubtful. I like margus hunt but not in the first, if we pick him then i hope we trade back and get an extra second and third rounder for our first, preferably an early second that we can use on hunt but, im hoping jesse williams drops to us in the first personally and margus hunt drops to us in the second.

Also i dont think we need to draft two running backs, i would personally just wait till the sixth and grab zach line, hes projected as a full back but played RB at SMU and was pretty much their whole offense. As for TE, man we can get joseph fauria in the seventh, hes 6"7 and has great hands, i believe he can make the tough catches that tony makes. He will need some work but worth a shot.

On the o line, im in agreement on konz, move him to center. Im not high on reynolds personally, Larry Warford is projected as a 2-3 round pick, i dont think he'll drop that far in the third, but maybe TD can work some magic and trade up with our third and one of our fourths, if not then i like Alvin Bailey out of Arkansas. I think hed be an upgrade from reynolds and it should solidify our o line. The rest of this draft should be deffensive

Let's look at TD's decisions:

Matt Ryan: top 7 QB

Sam Baker: Solid Starter

Curtis Lofton: great MLB.

Chevis Jackson: Bust

Harry Douglas: Decent 3rd wr

Thomas Decoud: nice starter

Robert James: Not a contributor

5th rounder: Kroy Biermann: Good player. Probably best as a rotational guy

Thomas Brown: Not a contributor.

Wilrey Fontenot: Not a contributor

Keith Zinger: Not a contributor

Peria Jerry: A bust. Injuries haven't helped.

William Moore: a good starting player.

Chris Owens: A Nickelback.

Lawrence Sidbury: Not a big contributor

William Middleton: Not a contributor

5th rounder Garrett Reynolds: Has been a starter. Key backup.

Spencer Adkins: Not a big contributor

7th rounder Vance Walker: Key backup who contributes a lot

Sean Weatherspoon: Big time starter. Future leader of the D

Corey Peters: Promising player. Been slowed by injuries.

Mike Johnson: Backup. Hasn't played

Joe Hawley: Backup. Spot Starter.

Dominique Franks: Mainly used as a KR

Kerry Meier: Not a contributor

Shann Shillinger: Mainly a special teamer

Julio Jones: One of the best young WR's in the league.

Akeem Dent: Starter. Mixed results

5th rounder Jacquizz Rodgers: One of the better rotational backs. Only getting better.

6th rounder Matt Bosher: Starting P. Good.

Andrew Jackson: Not a contributor

Cliff Matthews: Rotational player.

Peter Konz: Starting as a rook. Might be better suited at C.

Lamar Holmes: Will compete to be a starter

4th rounder Bradie Ewing: Starting FB.

Massaqoui: Unknown. Lot of potential.

Charles Mitchell: Special teamer

Travian Robertson: Will see.

Draft results: 12 Starters. 9 big contributors. 8 ? 9 busts (although can a late rounder be called a bust?) More good than bad in that list

Edited by Kennesaw77