Why Atlanta Lost This Game

Flip Flop

In a nutshell: San Fransico is a better team.

Break it down. You have three phases of football and then you have aspects of each phase.

OFFENSE: Atlanta is better overall.

passing: Atlanta is a much better passing offense. So much better that you can say that the Atlanta offense is overall better, though disagreement isn't unreasonable.

rushing: SanFransico is better rushing the ball

DEFENSE: SanFran is much better

passing defesne: Sanfran is better

rushing defense: Sanfran is better

SPECIAL TEAMS: SanFran is better overall

kick and punt returns: SanFran is better

Kick and punt cover: SanFran is better

field goal unit: Atlanta is better

So, the 49ers are a better team in every aspect of the game except for passing offense and field goal kicking. The Falcons jump ahead 17 points, at which point a decent running game would allow a little keep away. Alas Atlanta's running game is not good enough to play keep away against Sanfrans excellent run defense. Atlanta's defense was not good enough to stop the Niners offense in any aspect of the game after the early game emotion that defenses use and Sanfran's offense getting accustomed to the noise of the dome.

So, those of you who think that Ryan is mediocre are essentially claiming that because Ryan couldn't beat a well rounded championship caliber team with one aspect of the game out of six. If you watched the Patriots vs. the Ravens, you would see a very similar game by Brady.

Brady passed for 320 yards 1TD 2INT's

Ryan passed for 396 yards 3TD's 1INT

Is Brady a game manager that cant lead his team to a championship? No. Can he carry a team that is outmatched in every aspect of the game except passing offense? No. The Ravens are just a better team.

I agree with your comments. I would say that Atlanta is not even the 2nd best team in the league. Atlanta won a lot of so called "lucky" games that they would not win again in years. If this game had been played in San Francisco, the 49'ers would have won in a blowout.

I think that Atlanta earned the 2nd best team in the Conference this year. Im not a fan of woulda coulda shoulda.

I agree the Niners were the overall better team. I hate that we didn't have a run game like we did against Seattle we could've used it. Defensively, we planned to stop Kaep's running and he got us passing and we couldn't stop the run worth a darn. The main 3 things that you must do to win a playoff game: run the ball, stop the run and win the turnover battle and we failed at the three.

We have to get bigger along the front and better at the linebacker position.

Harry Douglas doesn't stumble over himself on the go ahead touchdown throw, and we're going to New Orleans.

Watching the highlights it's clear as day, if he does not trip it's 6 points and the ballgame. Ryan threw a floating ball due the blitz forcing an early throw. I'm not going to agree that SF was a much better team. Their vaunted defense was helpless against the Falcons. They forced a grand total of one punt the entire game. I don't care where they played this game, the Falcons were going to score points and move the ball at will. If Ryan does not take his eye off the ball OR Douglass stays on his feet, we are going to the Super Bowl. And I have no doubt we would beat the Ravens...but unfortunately for the Falcons and us fans, it's often the little things that wins championships.

But Im proud of the Falcons and the strides they have made this season. We may not go 13-3 next year, but we will make the playoffs and continue to play well there.

Watching the highlights it's clear as day, if he does not trip it's 6 points and the ballgame. Ryan threw a floating ball due the blitz forcing an early throw. I'm not going to agree that SF was a much better team. Their vaunted defense was helpless against the Falcons. They forced a grand total of one punt the entire game. I don't care where they played this game, the Falcons were going to score points and move the ball at will. If Ryan does not take his eye off the ball OR Douglass stays on his feet, we are going to the Super Bowl. And I have no doubt we would beat the Ravens...but unfortunately for the Falcons and us fans, it's often the little things that wins championships.

But Im proud of the Falcons and the strides they have made this season. We may not go 13-3 next year, but we will make the playoffs and continue to play well there.

That is the point. The Niners are a better team. You are saying that unless the Falcons play a flawless game on offense, they cant beat the Niners. Who on the Niners has to be perfect to win this game?

I disagree with the Niners having a better special teams unit than the Falcons.

Atlanta was 27th in the league in return yards

Niners were 8th

Atlanta was 30th in punting

Niners were 23rd

Atlanta was 14th in Kickoff coverage

Niners were 4th in Kickoff coverage

Atlanta 29th punt coverage

Niners 13th in punt coverage

Special Teams was a particular weakness for the Falcons this year.

That is the point. The Niners are a better team. You are saying that unless the Falcons play a flawless game on offense, they cant beat the Niners. Who on the Niners has to be perfect to win this game?

I see what you're saying. It's just that the Ryan fumble and Douglass trip were so random. The pick I can live with...but those two plays have not happened all year. To happen on consecutive series reeks of bad luck. The Niners are a good team, but I feel if we played 100 times on a neutral field, the Falcons would win 45-50 of them. I just did not see anything from the Niners that indicates they could stop us unless the Falcons help them do so, as they did today.

Atlanta was 27th in the league in return yards

Niners were 8th

Atlanta was 30th in punting

Niners were 23rd

Atlanta was 14th in Kickoff coverage

Niners were 4th in Kickoff coverage

Atlanta 29th punt coverage

Niners 13th in punt coverage

Special Teams was a particular weakness for the Falcons this year.

I'm looking at the numbers posted on Pro-Football-Reference and they have the Falcons having given up 1065 kickoff return yards (19th) and the Niners 1289 kickoff return yards (29th). For some reason it doesn't have punt return yards listed. The space for it is blank.

The Falcons average giving up 22.2 yards per kickoff return which was 8th best in the NFL. The Niners average giving up 26.9 yards per kickoff return which was 2nd worst in the NFL. The only team worst is the Raiders.

So according to Pro-Football-Reference the Falcons were much better than the Niners on kickoff coverage.

I see what you're saying. It's just that the Ryan fumble and Douglass trip were so random. The pick I can live with...but those two plays have not happened all year. To happen on consecutive series reeks of bad luck. The Niners are a good team, but I feel if we played 100 times on a neutral field, the Falcons would win 45-50 of them. I just did not see anything from the Niners that indicates they could stop us unless the Falcons help them do so, as they did today.

Because the Niners didn't make any mistakes.. Look at the box score, the Falcons outscored the 49ers ONLY in the 1st quarter, 2nd quarter was a tie, 3rd and 4th quarter 49ers OUTSCORED THE Falcons. Using ACTUAL statistics, the 49ers WIN 75% of their meetings.

Hypothetical games don't matter though, we won the game that actually mattered, the REAL game. It is hilarious how you whiners try to argue the Falcons are better, when they just got beat down for the majority of the game.

As a Niners fan, I can actually admit the Giants were a better team last year, they got it done when it mattered, and ON THE ROAD. Don't forget that you guys were playing AT HOME also, the 49ers would've demolished this team in Candlestick...

Because the Niners didn't make any mistakes.. Look at the box score, the Falcons outscored the 49ers ONLY in the 1st quarter, 2nd quarter was a tie, 3rd and 4th quarter 49ers OUTSCORED THE Falcons. Using ACTUAL statistics, the 49ers WIN 75% of their meetings.

Hypothetical games don't matter though, we won the game that actually mattered, the REAL game. It is hilarious how you whiners try to argue the Falcons are better, when they just got beat down for the majority of the game.

As a Niners fan, I can actually admit the Giants were a better team last year, they got it done when it mattered, and ON THE ROAD. Don't forget that you guys were playing AT HOME also, the 49ers would've demolished this team in Candlestick...

Like they did in 2009 when the Falcons dismantled them 45-10. Sorry just had to get that little jab in them. Niners earned the win. The Falcons didn't deserve to win. Plain and simple as that.

I hadnt watched the Niners play much this year. After watching the game, I would say that they are better than the Seahawks. I think Wilson is better than Kapernick, but the Niners are a better team. I think the having playmaker at Linebacker is better than playmakers at corner. The Niners defense is brutal. Flacco is going to look pedestrian against these guys. Roddy, Julio, and Tony made some serious plays with guys draped all over them. We are used to seeing that, but most receivers dont catch most passes thrown their way with that much contact. Im not sure the Ravens guys make those plays.

I think that the Niners are just solidly a little better. They arent alot better, but enough that they are more likely to win the game than the Falcons. Id say the Niners win 6-10 times maybe 7. The are just a better all around unit. Matt Ryan had a beast of a game. Julio had a beast of a game. Roddy was very good( very good for Roddy White is just 100 yards). You just cant expect everyone on offense to have a great game. You need the defense to show up. You need the running game to have a higher bar for what is expected. If you expect 100+ yards out of the running game, this is a whole different ballgame. What I saw out of the running game this week is what I expected. Last week was a pleasant surprise.

It is one thing to expect to be able to put the game in the quarterbacks hands, but something else entirely to expect him to carry the team for the entire game.

I'm looking at the numbers posted on Pro-Football-Reference and they have the Falcons having given up 1065 kickoff return yards (19th) and the Niners 1289 kickoff return yards (29th). For some reason it doesn't have punt return yards listed. The space for it is blank.

The Falcons average giving up 22.2 yards per kickoff return which was 8th best in the NFL. The Niners average giving up 26.9 yards per kickoff return which was 2nd worst in the NFL. The only team worst is the Raiders.

So according to Pro-Football-Reference the Falcons were much better than the Niners on kickoff coverage.

w/e Im not going to argue over which statistics are correct. I looked at ESPN

ESPN has Atlanta at 640 total kickoff return yards with 23.7 average and Niners with 1216 kickoff return yards and 24.8 average.

Oh wait they have them listed by most yards given up on oppent returns so flip the coverage teams.

Atlanta has better coverage teams. So split the Special teams. Niners better returners/Falcons better coverage.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/punting/position/defense/seasontype/2

I never said the Niners were not the better team today. What I said is that they were not "much" better. But you are welcome to continue playing the victim and looking for a sleight in every prose you read.