Ok, Here's The Truth Of The Matter...

thanat0s

We can all sit around playing the blame game, but the facts are just obvious. We just plain lack the talent on defense to reach the Super Bowl. We have an offseason to fix it, and I have alot of faith in TD to get it done, just as he fixed the offense and the play calling the past two years.

It should be as plain as the noses on our collective faces that we need to get bigger, and more athletic across our entire front. We HAVE to upgrade our pass rush, and while I like the kid, can we now admit that Stephen Nicholas is not a starting LB? Assuming Peterson retires, that's the best job for SN. Backing up.

In two playoff games, our offense went out and established what should be an insurmountable lead, and in each game, the offense stayed under pressure to throw up tons of points because our defense could not sustain the same intensity and strength as the games wore on.

As constructed, this defense is only solid when it gets turnovers. Turnovers cannot be relied upon. The consistently good defenses line up their 11 guys against your 11 guys and make stops, limit yardage and force punts. We simply can't do it alot of the time, and I'd better good money, that's the conversation the Falcons brass has when they prepare for the offseason to come.

I totally enjoyed this season, and ironically, both my college team (UGA) and the Falcons ended up one play short of playing for a championship. Here's to the 2013 season and a ton of redemption for the heartbreaking end to the 2012 season.

You don't sit on your hands as an offense when you KNOW that the defense isn't the caliber to provide consistent shut outs. I didn't like the gameplan for the defense because they overplayed Colin caterpillarneck but 6 points wins it. Something anything in the second half and we are probably celebrating. Instead, people are defending the goose eggs and acting like we should expect a superbowl caliber defense when they never appeared as such.

I'm afraid we've seen the high-water mark of this team. Just too much fail on the defensive side of the ball for there to be any hope of a one-year turnaround. We only have two or three players who don't suck on defense and we have virtually no cap room.

In the NFL staying at the top of the heap is next to impossible. Just ask the Packers, or the Saints, or the Giants how quickly it all falls apart. Get ready to ride the roller-coaster back down into the sewer for the next half-decade or so boys.

Edited by PokerSteve

You don't sit on your hands as an offense when you KNOW that the defense isn't the caliber to provide consistent shut outs. I didn't like the gameplan for the defense because they overplayed Colin caterpillarneck but 6 points wins it. Something anything in the second half and we are probably celebrating. Instead, people are defending the goose eggs and acting like we should expect a superbowl caliber defense when they never appeared as such.

True. One more score could have won us the game but maybe a couple of more stops on d could have won. One thing I know now is that idgaf about the pro bowl or super bowl.

I agree we need more talent on the defensive side of the ball, but 17 points in the first quarter is not insurmountable, for the offense to not score in the second half is just as bad. That's where all your money is invested.

Two teams had top notch defenses, and two did not on this day. Guess who won? Flacco is playing in the SB, not because he is some great player, but because he has a defense that takes the pressure off him.

There is no reason that the Falcons should have surrendered more than the 24 points the offense scored after being up 3 scores in the first 16 minutes. Had the defense had a clue how to stop them, the offense would've had alot more opportunities to score, but for the most part, they got the ball with the knowledge that the Niners had just run through us like tissue paper.

I don't want to be the Saints or the Packers. I want to be like the Ravens, who line up and beat on people all day defensively, so the offense isn't sitting on the sideline knowing that no matter what lead they give the defense, those guys have no chance of stopping the opponent.

True. One more score could have won us the game but maybe a couple of more stops on d could have won. One thing I know now is that idgaf about the pro bowl or super bowl.

Did anyone here really expect this defense to be able to handle Colin, Randy, Michael, Vernon and Gore? Everyone saw the Cam Newton train-wreck coming.

The reality is that this was never a Super Bowl caliber defense. And had they won the game, they would have gotten killed in the Super Bowl. Nolan worked miracles with this team all season. He fooled the other offenses for the first half half, but once they figured it out, it was just pray to hold on. Remember the Denver game? Seattle? Then today.

The reason why there were no "blow out" wins this year and all the comebacks was because of the reality that: The Defense just wasn't good enough.

I expect to see a lot of attention this offseason on the defensive side of the ball.

The reality is that this was never a Super Bowl caliber defense. And had they won the game, they would have gotten killed in the Super Bowl. Nolan worked miracles with this team all season. He fooled the other offenses for the first half half, but once they figured it out, it was just pray to hold on. Remember the Denver game? Seattle? Then today.

The reason why there were no "blow out" wins this year and all the comebacks was because of the reality that: The Defense just wasn't good enough.

I expect to see a lot of attention this offseason on the defensive side of the ball.

Killed in the superbowl? By an AFC team!?! Lol, no. If the Falcons went to the superbowl they would've won. SF will win handily.

I agree 100%

We can all sit around playing the blame game, but the facts are just obvious. We just plain lack the talent on defense to reach the Super Bowl. We have an offseason to fix it, and I have alot of faith in TD to get it done, just as he fixed the offense and the play calling the past two years.

It should be as plain as the noses on our collective faces that we need to get bigger, and more athletic across our entire front. We HAVE to upgrade our pass rush, and while I like the kid, can we now admit that Stephen Nicholas is not a starting LB? Assuming Peterson retires, that's the best job for SN. Backing up.

In two playoff games, our offense went out and established what should be an insurmountable lead, and in each game, the offense stayed under pressure to throw up tons of points because our defense could not sustain the same intensity and strength as the games wore on.

As constructed, this defense is only solid when it gets turnovers. Turnovers cannot be relied upon. The consistently good defenses line up their 11 guys against your 11 guys and make stops, limit yardage and force punts. We simply can't do it alot of the time, and I'd better good money, that's the conversation the Falcons brass has when they prepare for the offseason to come.

I totally enjoyed this season, and ironically, both my college team (UGA) and the Falcons ended up one play short of playing for a championship. Here's to the 2013 season and a ton of redemption for the heartbreaking end to the 2012 season.

if the Falcons had gotten to the superbowl, which player would have tried to pick up a prostitute the night before the big game?

2nd rate team for a 2nd rate city.

i thought the coaches were going to carry the team to the big game?

you all forgot you need players to win it.