Ok, Let Me Ask You, Footballheads Some Questions

Flying Falcon

I think the main reason we didn't run screens today was because we didn't have to. Most of the time screens are called to counter a leaking or bleeding O-line (when it comes to pass protection)...Ryan had a pretty clean pocket most of the day so the screens weren't going to be a featured option.

I would agree with you all, but we needed a "SPARK" in the second half (like always) from the offense. I think the screens could have done that instead of trying to run Quizz into their defensive front. A screen to Quizz on the edge or outside could have done wonders.

Doubt seriously if that would have been effective at all....Niners were rarely bringing the pass rush with their linebackers....plus they arguably have the fastest backers in the NFL.....We weren't going to tear off any huge gains via the screen today.

Doubt seriously if that would have been effective at all....Niners were rarely bringing the pass rush with their linebackers....plus they arguably have the fastest backers in the NFL.....We weren't going to tear off any huge gains via the screen today.

Understanding fully what you're saying Gritz. And since you're a footballhead, in a game of this caliber wouldnt you want to pull out ALL your stops? At least try the screens and see? I know I would. 2nd half needed something to get it started. I would have opened up the playbook. Left all the playcalling on the field.

Understanding fully what you're saying Gritz. And since you're a footballhead, in a game of this caliber wouldnt you want to pull out ALL your stops? At least try the screens and see? I know I would. 2nd half needed something to get it started. I would have opened up the playbook. Left all the playcalling on the field.

Oh, I definitely agree with that....and to be totally honest with you there were a couple of times during the game where I was yelling for a screen....it was usually right after Ryan had gotten some serious heat.

I love the screen game but I dont think it matches up particularly well against the 49ers.

They're so athletic in the middle 4 that the screen game is basically giving them a bunch of opportunities to stop passes for 2 yards due to their fantastic tackling.

Pushing the ball downfield was the winning strategy here because they simply couldnt cover us and couldnt really get pressure on Matt.

Our offensive gameplan was good enough to win. And for the most part I think our defensive gameplan was good enough to win too.

I just think we lost to the better team in an incredibly close game.

The difference between a win and loss here is 12 yards. Thats it.