We Have To Get Better On Defense. Big Bodies No More Smallish Players

J-Wall

Great season a lot to be proud of. I bet most are butt hurt like me. Still believe we were the better team today. Defense played an okay game. But we have to improve this side of the ball big time. Time to add some big boys this off season. Beef up the interior D line. I'm hoping TG will give it another go but I doubt it. So TE should be high on the list as well.

We need a stud DE, a stud MLB, and a beefcake NT.

We don't run a 3-4 defense and run a whole lot of nickel packages. Those would be two wasted picks. I would go after Seymour in FA (provided we have the cap room) get another outside backer to compliment spoon, and get another DE that is on the beefier side and drop these undersized projects we are so apt to draft.

We need a stud DE, a stud MLB, and a beefcake NT.

Really, because we are going to have to play the read option twice every year, Tampa's play action offense twice every year, and will have to match up with physical teams like SF and Seattle in the playoffs...

Edit: Oops, was supposed to quote the post above this one...

Edited by AAllInFlynn

We don't run a 3-4 defense and run a whole lot of nickel packages. Those would be two wasted picks. I would go after Seymour in FA (provided we have the cap room) get another outside backer to compliment spoon, and get another DE that is on the beefier side and drop these undersized projects we are so apt to draft.

What? None of those things he says require you to run a 3-4.

Falcons cede the line of scrimmage on the defensive side of the ball. Simply put, we have to put an extra man in to stop the run every time.

we also are a very poor tackling team. Falcons kept going for the strip many times and turned 10 yard run into 20 yard runs, etc, etc.

Falcons have to be able to hold the point of attack. The offensive line stepped up in both playoff games but the defensive line was woeful.

Dunta Robinson, Assante and Thomas DeCoud are all very poor tacklers. We have to get better more physical tacklers at every level of the defense.

We need a lot of help on defense. Schemes helped a lot, but the execution in our two playoff games was ******* terrible.

also a new RG and a solid RB on offense

my mock i completed had Falcons drafting RB(1st) and OG(3rd). At this point, the offensive line seems to be getting better. The defense is HORRIBLE. We might have to go defense, defense, defense. No matter what Tony G. or Michael Turner does.

Sorry to tell you, your defense did not lose the game. Your time of possession and not answering a single point is what lost it. Fact is, playing football as a defensive lineman is hard enough when you are fresh off the bench. Playing it for 2/3 or 3/4 of the game is just grueling. If anything, being smaller on the D-Line might have been better for endurance. Less weight, less energy burned.

my mock i completed had Falcons drafting RB(1st) and OG(3rd). At this point, the offensive line seems to be getting better. The defense is HORRIBLE. We might have to go defense, defense, defense. No matter what Tony G. or Michael Turner does.

I think we should go D Linemen the 1st two rounds. A Guard in the 3rd for when Konz slides to center and a RB in the 4th.

I think we can get a TE in free agency there are a few out there cant remember all of them.

I think a few are Jared Cook, Dustin Keller.

Sorry to tell you, your defense did not lose the game. Your time of possession and not answering a single point is what lost it. Fact is, playing football as a defensive lineman is hard enough when you are fresh off the bench. Playing it for 2/3 or 3/4 of the game is just grueling. If anything, being smaller on the D-Line might have been better for endurance. Less weight, less energy burned.

I agree

Strongly disagree. I believe Nolan would rather run a base 3-4. As would I.

Nolan would rather stay in the 3-4 we just didn't have the guys to do it. So he adapted. Did a great job with what we had. This thing going on in the NFL read option gimmick is a fad it won't stay forever once teams figure it out. And having big guys up from would help a bunch on a read option. It would collapse the pocket and let the lbs swarm