Explain This "smitty Ball"

Falconblade22

truthfully though .. id say that it definitely involves conservatism and that the conservatism actually resulted from the players more so the coach .. im sure the coaches wouldn't just sit around and not even tell them wtf is up ... because the players are also adults and the problem with most adults is .. PRIDE!!!!

I think coach smith gets the blame for poor execution from his players, when this happens some call it SMITTY BALL.

i think its the way how smith addresses the problems to his players .. hes not like the parent that spanks his kids when they do something wrong or bad ... hes the go to your corner your in timeout type of coach and .. just like that s*** doesn't work with kids .. its sure as h** does not work for adults with PRIDE!!!!

This came straight from ESPN falcons football page and pretty much sums up smitty Ball. The important part is bolded.

Ryan excellent downfield

Matt Ryan was outstanding throwing downfield in the first half on Sunday. Ryan completed 11 passes on throws deeper than 10 yards downfield, equaling his full-game career high in completions of that distance. Ryan and the Falcons' offense were more conservative in the second half.

23 minutes ago | ESPN Stats and Information

smitty ball is when the team has a massive lead and becomes completely conservative which puts us in a bad position to were we struggle to win a game we were dominating earlier.

It happen against the seahags which we again barely beat, and it happen again the 49ners which cost us this.

Oh and a tidbit, the 49ners were 1-17 when losing 17 -0 after the 1st qtr dating back to 2001.

I see this being said everywhere and from what I can see .. its mostly negative .. so .. in your own opinion what do you think "smitty ball" is?

It's not easily encapsulated like the "run, run, pass" of Martyball. Smittyball is a mindset. The idea that if you get a ~20 point lead it is time to start killing clock on offense and playing bend but don't break on defense. The idea that not making mistakes is the penultimate goal of football. It has taken over this team. We play with fire and energy and take chances, then we get a lead, and once we lose momentum it is over. This is a team that only knows how to play from behind, because playing from behind forces them to be intense and take chances.

Edited by RS91