49Ers-Falcons: Is Whitner Ready For Gonzalez?

OC

Years ago when Tony was on the chiefs and played the niners Julian Peterson shut him down. Held tony to zero catches.

Patrick Willis is not an ordinary linebacker. He can guard Tony.

Imo i think bowman is way better than pat! If u guys want a chance in stopping tony better put bowman on him

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Goldson isn't a good coverage safety? And you base this assertion on what... The fact that he can hit. Physicality and coverage skills aren't mutually exclusive.

I think he is a good cover safety. But as seeing we saw Earl Thomas last week Goldson is a step below him. I think Earl Thomas is the next Ed Reed. And I love the way Goldson plays

Goldson isn't a good coverage safety? And you base this assertion on what... The fact that he can hit. Physicality and coverage skills aren't mutually exclusive.

Umm...because he isn't. He's decent in coverage, but he's not good. He's an overhyped safety in my opinion. It's been his weak point. You can't literally sit here and tell me Goldson is better in coverage than run support. Can't find the stats this year, but last year he gave up a 92 rating when thrown at.

Years ago when Tony was on the chiefs and played the niners Julian Peterson shut him down. Held tony to zero catches.

Patrick Willis is not an ordinary linebacker. He can guard Tony.

It's funny you should mention Julian Peterson because I saw him last Sunday. He was at the game in Atlanta.

Willis is good but I don't know if he could have done much on that play. It was a great pass and great catch...

I think he is a good cover safety. But as seeing we saw Earl Thomas last week Goldson is a step below him. I think Earl Thomas is the next Ed Reed. And I love the way Goldson plays

Ya Earl is a great player. But if you look at Ryan, he had that one big pass to Roddy and obviously the last drive. But I didn't see much from him that game. Not bad, but 3td and 2 picks isn't special.

Umm...because he isn't. He's decent in coverage, but he's not good. He's an overhyped safety in my opinion. It's been his weak point. You can't literally sit here and tell me Goldson is better in coverage than run support. Can't find the stats this year, but last year he gave up a 92 rating when thrown at.

Donte Whitner struggles in coverage for sure. But Goldson doesn't. How could we have one of the best pass Ds with two safeties who cannot cover.

You obviously don't watch niner games. Patrick is better at covering. He has superior speed and has really refined his coverage skills.

No i dont but when i do bowman is beast and is the best lb on that team! If u niners hadnt resigned him i would love him in a falcons uni!

Donte Whitner struggles in coverage for sure. But Goldson doesn't. How could we have one of the best pass Ds with two safeties who cannot cover.

Just to cover everything youve been saying in this thread:

Tony vs. Willis will be a good matchup. Not a huge mismatch like a normal LB covering Tony would be. Pat willis is special. That being said, I still give Tony and the chemistry he has with Matt the advantage here. No disrespect to willis but Tony G is that special of a player. Great feel for defenses, knows how to get open and find soft spots. Not to mention his freakish ability to make grabs from weird angles when Matt throws around defenders.

Secondly, when people are saying

"Here is the thing. it IS a mismatch.

Because we have so many more weapons."

They mean that when we force willis to focus all his attention on Tony G, it reduces his overall impact on other players, and we have "so many more weapons". Willis is a big piece to your run D. If he is preoccupied with Gonzo it will take away from his ability to contain Turner/Quizz/Snelling. And if we can establish a run game, we all know what that does for Roddy and Julio.

Third, and this is more of an overall statement and not necessarilily a shot at willis because I do respect him, but just because a guy has made X amount of Pro Bowl and ALL Pro teams really doesnt mean he is

A. automatically playing at that level

and

B. deserving of all the awards, etc. that he has obtained.

I only say this because over the course of this week many san fran fans have been on this board explaining to me that ATL has no chance in this game because we dont have as many Pro Bowl/All Pro players as you guys do. These are teams that are highly debated and while you need to be a good player to make the cut for those squads, you also can miss it and still be a deserving player as well (Ex: Weatherspoon, Moore, Samuel, DeCoud, Abraham, etc. I could go on)

Edited by Cole World

Ya Earl is a great player. But if you look at Ryan, he had that one big pass to Roddy and obviously the last drive. But I didn't see much from him that game. Not bad, but 3td and 2 picks isn't special.

Against the #1 defense in the NFL it was enough. He helped to hang 30 on them, which is more that Kaepernick did three weeks prior.

Against the #1 defense in the NFL it was enough. He helped to hang 30 on them, which is more that Kaepernick did three weeks prior.

Seattle to Maryland. Maryland to Seattle. Seattle to Georgia. Ya, my team might start sluggish if I flew that much in a week.

Edited by SF-Wald

Seattle to Maryland. Maryland to Seattle. Seattle to Georgia. Ya, my team might start sluggish if I flew that much in a week.

your making excuses for another team losing? (a rival to your team at that?!) Ive lost all respect for you. BTW, I like how you convieniently ignored my post. Too many facts for you?

Like I stated in another thread. Excuses only count for other teams. Never for the Falcons. Cannot blame the Falcons for the Seahacks not winning enough games to have a home game. This is the NFL. Falcons played a Home/away/home/away schedule all year. Never had one back to back home game all season.

Just to cover everything youve been saying in this thread:

Tony vs. Willis will be a good matchup. Not a huge mismatch like a normal LB covering Tony would be. Pat willis is special. That being said, I still give Tony and the chemistry he has with Matt the advantage here. No disrespect to willis but Tony G is that special of a player. Great feel for defenses, knows how to get open and find soft spots. Not to mention his freakish ability to make grabs from weird angles when Matt throws around defenders.

Secondly, when people are saying

"Here is the thing. it IS a mismatch.

Because we have so many more weapons."

They mean that when we force willis to focus all his attention on Tony G, it reduces his overall impact on other players, and we have "so many more weapons". Willis is a big piece to your run D. If he is preoccupied with Gonzo it will take away from his ability to contain Turner/Quizz/Snelling. And if we can establish a run game, we all know what that does for Roddy and Julio.

Third, and this is more of an overall statement and not necessarilily a shot at willis because I do respect him, but just because a guy has made X amount of Pro Bowl and ALL Pro teams really doesnt mean he is

A. automatically playing at that level

and

B. deserving of all the awards, etc. that he has obtained.

I only say this because over the course of this week many san fran fans have been on this board explaining to me that ATL has no chance in this game because we dont have as many Pro Bowl/All Pro players as you guys do. These are teams that are highly debated and while you need to be a good player to make the cut for those squads, you also can miss it and still be a deserving player as well (Ex: Weatherspoon, Moore, Samuel, DeCoud, Abraham, etc. I could go on)

Pro bowl means nothing, but all pro is completely different. It isn't voted by fans and isn't a popularity contest. Also, to be honest, I don't think Abe or any of the guys you mentioned are elite at their position. Good solid nfl players, yes, but not elite.

Secondly, guarding a TE doesn't mean that we lose focus on the running game. If Willis is on Tony, then we still have Bowman--who has the second most tackles in the nfl. Also we can bring in corners or others to guard tony in third and long and Patrick can roam the field to mix it up. He doesn't have to be glued to him the entire game. But Patrick and Navarro have so much speed that passes to Snelling and Rodgers aren't as simple as usual.

Patrick Willis is the LB that got roasted by Jimmy Graham last year.

Only cause he's considered the best MLB in the league doesn't mean he's going to shut-down every TE, RB, every game. He's 6'1 going up against a 6'6 ex basketall player. He did cover the great Victor Cruz in the NFCCG like 2 times. And let's say he prevented the Eli and Cruz from getting into field goal range until Kyle Williams..