49Ers-Falcons: Is Whitner Ready For Gonzalez?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

he is a great player. That got roasted by Jimmy Graham. Everything in this post are facts. You act like Willis is LT and Ray Lewis combine. Like he shut down every TE the Niners face. Well he didn't shut down Jimmy Graham last year. Facts

Deion sanders got beat before, so by your logic he isn't great? I didn't see any plays where Graham beat Willis also.

Patrick Willis: 6 years in the league.

6 pro bowls, 5 first team all Pros, 1 second team all pro.

It is pretty ridiculous that you cannot accept the fact that he is a great player.

Who said Willis isn't a great linebacker? If anyone is not accepting someone for being a great player it's you. Tony G is in his 15th year (13 pro bowls) including being voted the "starter" this year over younger explosive TE's like Graham, Witten, and even your Vernon Davis. Come back and talk when Willis even comes close to the kind of career that TG has.

I don't remember him beating Patrick a lot, but you seem to have really high standards. You can never give up plays in order to be good?

Tony is a solid player, but he isn't in his prime and isn't unstoppable.

Jimmy had over 100 yards and two TDs last year in the playoffs against the Niners. So do Willis sometime cover the TE and other LBs do? If that's the case how you know he will be on Tony? You just pick and choose what arguments to make. You saying Willis isn't an ordinary LB. Ray Lewis isn't an ordinary LB. LT wasn't an ordinary LB. Willis is a great MLB. But he isn't a legend like those two. How many DPOY does he has? How many sacks and INTs does he have in his career? I'm sorry if I don't think Willis is Ray or LT

Deion sanders got beat before, so by your logic he isn't great? I didn't see any plays where Graham beat Willis also.

In my post I said "He is a GREAT LB" is reading comprehension a skill that eludes you? Because again find in my post that I said he wasn't a great LB. And you remember only what you want to. Jimmy caught those TD and all those yards on Bowman and the safeties. Willis never covers the best TEs I guess.

You guys are so blinded by your biased views. A 36 year old TG is so beyond amazing that Patrick Willis has no chance of guarding him?

Once again noone is saying that Willis isn't a great player, but if your coaches decided to put him on Gonzo man to man all game he would have a long day trying to guard a 36 year old TG. Willis would definitely need help.

Jimmy had over 100 yards and two TDs last year in the playoffs against the Niners. So do Willis sometime cover the TE and other LBs do? If that's the case how you know he will be on Tony? You just pick and choose what arguments to make. You saying Willis isn't an ordinary LB. Ray Lewis isn't an ordinary LB. LT wasn't an ordinary LB. Willis is a great MLB. But he isn't a legend like those two. How many DPOY does he has? How many sacks and INTs does he have in his career? I'm sorry if I don't think Willis is Ray or LT

Last two times Tony faced the niners he has a combined 96 yards and no TDs. I said tony is one of the greatest tight ends ever. However, I said that -- contrary to what everyone was saying-- Patrick Willis one on one with Tony G isn't a mismatch. They are both great players and it is a battle. Read what I said instead of just attacking every point someone makes.

Secondly, Patrick doesn't guard TEs in man defense every single play. No middle linebacker does this. Defensive schemes are much more complex than that, and teams also play zone.

i am from olean ny, and I actually went to club sphere in buffalo and was in the VIP Lounge with Donte Whitner and about 6 of the slummiest broads i have ever met. NTM, he was a tightwad and I spent more money than him. It consisted of One bottle of Dom. P that they probably all chipped in for and it was gone when I arrived. I bought two or three bottles and rounds of shots and we all got hammered.

Needless to say the dude was a blank. Had the personality of a brick wall, and if hes anything like he was, I hope hes out late getting smashed again in the ATL trying to find ludacris or something because thats the kind of guy he seems like. Maybe he will get picked off for touching or assault tonight too, Anyhow just thought id share that.

Whos the one am fire alarm, and make sure we get another alarm in at 4am at the RITZ

Last two times Tony faced the niners he has a combined 96 yards and no TDs. I said tony is one of the greatest tight ends ever. However, I said that -- contrary to what everyone was saying-- Patrick Willis one on one with Tony G isn't a mismatch. They are both great players and it is a battle. Read what I said instead of just attacking every point someone makes.

Secondly, Patrick doesn't guard TEs in man defense every single play. No middle linebacker does this. Defensive schemes are much more complex than that, and teams also play zone.

The whole point of debating is attacking the points you are trying to make. In one sentence you say TG on Willis man to man isn't a mismatch, and then in another you say Willis doesn't guard TEs in man every play due to scheming. Do you know why? DCs know that while Willis is good in coverage, he is not a lockdown cover line backer who is going to shut down down the opposing TE. Especially a HOF TE like Gonzo.

i am from olean ny, and I actually went to club sphere in buffalo and was in the VIP Lounge with Donte Whitner and about 6 of the slummiest broads i have ever met. NTM, he was a tightwad and I spent more money than him. It consisted of One bottle of Dom. P that they probably all chipped in for and it was gone when I arrived. I bought two or three bottles and rounds of shots and we all got hammered.

Needless to say the dude was a blank. Had the personality of a brick wall, and if hes anything like he was, I hope hes out late getting smashed again in the ATL trying to find ludacris or something because thats the kind of guy he seems like. Maybe he will get picked off for touching or assault tonight too, Anyhow just thought id share that.

Whos the one am fire alarm, and make sure we get another alarm in at 4am at the RITZ

Cool story bro. Tool...

I read everything you wrote. So I disagree with you that means I'm attacking you?lol sensitive much are we? I haven't disrespected you and haven't called you any names. I just disagree with you. And Ray Lewis in his prime always man up with the TE. Those Ravens teams almost never went zone. Just like the Texans and Pack are a man defense

The whole point of debating is attacking the points you are trying to make. In one sentence you say TG on Willis man to man isn't a mismatch, and then in another you say Willis doesn't guard TEs in man every play due to scheming. Do you know why? DCs know that while Willis is good in coverage, he is not a lockdown cover line backer who is going to shut down down the opposing TE. Especially a HOF TE like Gonzo.

How about this genius? If Patrick Willis played man on man coverage every single play with the tight end then the opposing OC wouldn't have to account for variations at all. Also, the coverage switches up in dime and nickel.

Patrick Willis: 6 years in the league.

6 pro bowls, 5 first team all Pros, 1 second team all pro.

It is pretty ridiculous that you cannot accept the fact that he is a great player.

Yeah but he is going against the single greatest player to EVER play the Tight end position now

Yes Willis is great but he is not greater than Tony.

Yeah but he is going against the single greatest player to EVER play the Tight end position now

Yes Willis is great but he is not greater than Tony.

I don't disagree. That's why I am saying -- as I have all along -- that Tony doesn't have a huge advantage against Patrick. It isn't a mismatch like Tony versus almost any LB

How about this genius? If Patrick Willis played man on man coverage every single play with the tight end then the opposing OC wouldn't have to account for variations at all. Also, the coverage switches up in dime and nickel.

Look, all I am saying is Willis on TG man to man is a mismatch. That's why defenses know better than to do something like that on a consistent basis. In earlier posts it seemed you were trying to say that because TG has lost a step that Willis could guard him man to man without being at any disadvantage which I believe is not true.

Both Goldson and Whitner are not good coverage safeties. If they try and play 2 deep and bracket Roddy and Julio, throw HD on the field and run the ball on the 6 man fronts. If they dare drop a safety, go deep. Use screens to bring them and the LBs up. Bunch sets help force their hands as well.

Both Goldson and Whitner are not good coverage safeties. If they try and play 2 deep and bracket Roddy and Julio, throw HD on the field and run the ball on the 6 man fronts. If they dare drop a safety, go deep. Use screens to bring them and the LBs up. Bunch sets help force their hands as well.

Goldson isn't a good coverage safety? And you base this assertion on what... The fact that he can hit. Physicality and coverage skills aren't mutually exclusive.

Edited by SF-Wald

I was responding to what someone else said. But-- it looks like this is going no where. Only time will tell what will happen. A key factor will be Tony on third down and in the redzone. Looking forward to watching those battles.

I think the thing that helps this time is a more mature Matt Ryan. Yes, Willis has seen the Tony-Ryan connection, but not on this level. Matt is playing great football right now. I am a big fan of Patrucles (Patrick+Hercules) and think he is a monster, but a perfect throw beats perfect defense every time. Look at the coverage Chancellor had on Tony G on some of those catches. I don't know how he caught them, but Tony is on a mission right now and looks like a man possessed. If he can win some against Willis, it will open up for Roddy and Julio and it can get ugly.