The 49Ers' Red Zone Problems

Red Rain

Found some interesting info on the 49ers. If this game comes down to scoring touchdowns vs/ settling for field goals, the Falcons might have a serious advantage.

http://www.grantland...playoff-matchup

Did you know that the 49ers are actually significantly worse in the red zone with Colin Kaepernick at the helm than they were under Alex Smith? Doesn't that seem weird? Somehow, it's true. During San Francisco's first nine games this season, the offense averaged 5.2 points per trip inside their opposition's 20-yard line, a figure that would rank fourth in the league if they kept it up over the entire season. Once Kaepernick came in, things changed. Even after a brilliant performance against the Bears in his first start, the 49ers were decidedly worse with Kaepernick under center in the red zone. In his 29 trips to the red zone, Kaepernick could only muster 4.1 points per possession, which would actually be the third-worst red zone offense in football if it held up over a full season.

They're terrible in the red zone on defense, too. San Francisco gave up 5.3 points per trip inside the 20 this year, which was the fourth-worst rate in the league, as only the Titans, Bills, and Chargers were worse. Their secret is to not let teams get into the red zone to begin with, as the Niners have allowed a league-low 36 trips to the red zone this year. They're not bend-but-don't-break; they're don't-bend-and-ah-what-the-****-go-score.

And how does Atlanta do in the red zone?

Atlanta, meanwhile, has been a very good team in the red zone on both sides of the ball. Only the Patriots and Broncos made more trips to the red zone this year than the Falcons' offense, and they averaged 5.1 points per attempt, which was the sixth-best performance in the league.

And the Atlanta defense only allowed 4.2 points per trip inside their 20, the fourth-best figure in the NFL. So if Atlanta's looking for a place where they hold the advantage, it might be in those spots where they can turn a field goal into a touchdown on offense (and vice versa on defense).

Yep. I watched the SEAand 49ers game. Kaep had a guy open in the end zone but not his first read. He just took off and got tackled on 3rd down. Niners attempted the FG which was blocked and returned for TD. The game could have been 14-7 instead of 21-0. They key in this game is to not give up explosive plays but make them earn every yard.

I also think this will be the difference in the game. If we can get into the red zone, we should score a lot of points. And I think the 49ers will move the ball up and down the field against us, but struggle to score points, especially with Akers struggling so badly.

I think that difference in the red zone will allow us to pull out the win, Atlanta 24 - San Francisco 20.

Edited by virginiafalcon

Waiting for 49ers' fans to start making excuses in 3...2...1...

No excuse. All that has equated is Kaep's 6-2 record, 29 points a game whereas an alex smith led 49ers averaged 24 points per game. He averages 226 yards per game to Alex's 217. The only thing alex has on him is a slightly higher completion percentage and more touchdowns in the air but less overall touchdowns. So, sure, i'll accept those things if theyre playing that much better with him!