Will The Falcons' Receivers Physically Intimidate The 49Ers' Seconday?

Red Rain

I keep hearing about how physically intimidating SF's defense is. But, when it comes to our receivers vs. their secondary, I think that shoe may be on the other foot.

SF's secondary:

CB Rogers 6-0, 192

S Whitner 5-10, 208

S Goldson 6-2, 200

CB Brown 5-10, 193

CB Culliver 6-0, 199

That is bigger than the typical secondary. And, they do have a reputation for physically intimidating receiving corps this year. But, the Falcons aren't your typical receiving corp.

Julio Jones - 6-3, 220. The Falcons targeted Jones over AJ Green in the draft, because Jones plays WR like an offensive lineman--physical and with a mean streak. Jones ran a 4.39/40 at the combine with a broken bone in his foot. Who knows how fast he would have run with two healthy feet. What we do know is: Jones is bigger, stronger, and faster (and meaner) than any of SF's DBs--any of them.

Roddy White - 6-0, 211. A state wrestling champion, White may be the most physical receiver in the NFL--period.

Harry Douglas - 6-0, 183. Good news SF! Finally, a receiver that's not bigger than SF's DBs (the bad news is he's not smaller either). Douglas plays the slot, and I've never seen him shy away going across the middle or taking a hit.

Tony Gonzalez - 6-5, 247. Yea, he's a tight end, but the Falcons often line him up split out like a WR.

Atlanta's receivers also emphasize a physical style of play. On running plays, they don't just trot out there or make cursory blocks, they hit defensive backs--hard. It's not unusual after a running play to see a DB flat on their back (wondering "What the **** just hit me?") with either Jones, White, Douglas, or TG standing over them.

In short, for the first time this year, SF is facing a receiving corp that is more physical than they are.

Will they intimidate them? No, absolutely not. They are a good physical secondary and aren't going to fear anyone. ...Will they beat them? You can put your money on that.

physically intimidate shouldnt be the question....physically dominate might be better usage.

i think that roddy-julio and tony should have their way with em.

Guest Negatorris

SF is no more physical than the Seahawks, and we handled them very well. I'm tired of the 'physical talk'. This team we are playing is nothing special. With all the years of compiling high draft picks from sucking so much they just happen to have some good players. Big deal. The Browns and Jags will eventually be the same way.

Ya'll taking Confidence to Arrogance, Gotta Love It! Keep it going!

leave, no one likes you. I don't see why you think someone here would take your bone headed opinion as an opinion that matters. You're an arrogant niner fan, that means to the most of us you don't matter.. (more then likely this guy was a niner fan in the 90s till late 90s until they started losing.. then about a year and a half ago he decided to like the niners again once they started to win.. )

SF is no more physical than the Seahawks, and we handled them very well. I'm tired of the 'physical talk'. This team we are playing is nothing special. With all the years of compiling high draft picks from sucking so much they just happen to have some good players. Big deal. The Browns and Jags will eventually be the same way.

the browns have had 11 years worth of draft picks and still cant get it together, lets not take it that far. you act like tim couch just never existed.

Falcon fan Torris: "This team we are playing is nothing special."

After the last week of visiting this site, I never want to hear anything about arrogant Niner fans again. I see ten times the respect for the Falcons on Niner sites than I do for the Niners on Falcons sites. I'm not going to paint with a broad brush here. There are some very savvy fans around here. But the level of disrespect most of you fans show for Niner players and their team is astonishing to me. And, don't blurt out "it's a Falcons board, man." I know that. I'm saying that on Niner boards, people give the Falcons some respect. I've enjoyed talking football with other fans on their sites this season. I've come back, eaten crow and congratulated those fans after losses a couple times and I'll do that this week to if the Falcons win. But, I've never come back to a site and twisted the knife after a win. Some of you Falcons fans are just begging for that.

After the last week of visiting this site, I never want to hear anything about arrogant Niner fans again. I see ten times the respect for the Falcons on Niner sites than I do for the Niners on Falcons sites. I'm not going to paint with a broad brush here. There are some very savvy fans around here. But the level of disrespect most of you fans show for Niner players and their team is astonishing to me. And, don't blurt out "it's a Falcons board, man." I know that. I'm saying that on Niner boards, people give the Falcons some respect. I've enjoyed talking football with other fans on their sites this season. I've come back, eaten crow and congratulated those fans after losses a couple times and I'll do that this week to if the Falcons win. But, I've never come back to a site and twisted the knife after a win. Some of you Falcons fans are just begging for that.

You won't be able to twist a knife cause your team aint winning $hit. Stop being a Pu$sy.

Edited by Falconine

"Arrogant Fans" does not refer to their opinion towards PLAYERS. It more refers to the way they carry themselves when speaking with FANS of other teams. The niners fans, as a collective entity, are some of the rudest fans I've ever encountered on message boards. From the slew of you guys that came over here berating us and blasting us for hyping up our team, to the idiots trolling the NFCS Blog on ESPN, I almost have as much distaste for 9rs fans as I do tAint fans... and trust me, that's pretty bad.

I've already said it before but these 49er's fans are the most sensitive MOFO's i've ever seen.Falcon fans on their own message saying what a typical fan would say and these MOFO's get their panties in a wad. Now I know why they call them Whiners. Grow a pair.

Edited by Falconine

yea right, im listening to radnich right now on KNBR and they are trashing the falcons and its the same on 49erwebzone, these cats cant wait to relive our glory years..

were on their board, stop conercning yourself with them respecting a team that they dont see every week and have no vested interest in caring about other than one game.

remember when eli manning said he was as good as tom brady and everyone laughed? no one was laughing in 2011 when he beat him. someone had to believe they can win and if it takes an aura of arrogance so be it.

lets just post and have fun as opposed to worrying about complcacent humility on the internet of allplaces

yea right, im listening to radnich right now on KNBR and they are trashing the falcons and its the same on 49erwebzone, these cats cant wait to relive our glory years..

were on their board, stop conercning yourself with them respecting a team that they dont see every week and have no vested interest in caring about other than one game.

remember when eli manning said he was as good as tom brady and everyone laughed? no one was laughing in 2011 when he beat him. someone had to believe they can win and if it takes an aura of arrogance so be it.

lets just post and have fun as opposed to worrying about complcacent humility on the internet of allplaces

Word

I'm still laughing. A team winning doesn't mean all their players are better. Eli Manning isn't fit to carry Brady's jock strap, and this is from a guy who doesn't like Brady. I just recognize the guy is an epic QB.