Falcons Got Lazy Per Roddy White

vel

Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Roddy White enjoyed his first playoff victory last week against theSeattle Seahawks. But he's also taking a lesson from the team's near-collapse.

"I felt like in the first half we did a heck of a job, just coming out with attitude and executing at a high level," White told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. "We got a little lazy in the second half. We kind of got too complacent, too relaxed. You can't do that in the playoffs. Every series matters. You can't have lulls, man."

It's refreshing to hear a member of theFalcons say this. It's terrific that Matt Ryan and Matt Bryant helped save the game in the final 31 seconds, but otherwise the No. 1 seeded team seemed to do everything possible to lose the game late. White and Silver pin the issue on getting complacent, but I'd lean more towards execution. Especially by the Falcons' defense.

Consider: Atlanta's offense started the second half with a long touchdown drive. Their next possession was a Matt Ryan interception, but that came from pushing the ball with a lead in the fourth quarter. It was Atlanta's defense that gave up four touchdowns in five possessions in the second half, not the offense.

White's accusation of complacency makes sense when it comes to the Falcons' execution, but not their play-calling. They started the next possession after Ryan's interception with a throw to White, and then two more passes.

"We've got to play a complete game," White said. "If we don't mind our P's and Q's, the whole team, we'll be in trouble."

We liked the aggression shown by Ryan and the Falcons coaching staff against Seattle. They knew they had to score a lot to win. White just knows they have to be even better in Sunday's NFC Championship Game against the San Francisco 49ers.

Just like I said in the "Bright side of the blown lead" thread, this team wouldn't be as focused this week if they hadn't blown the lead. Think about if we won by 20 after relaxing. Can't do that against the Niners. This has everybody more focused than last week.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting a little sick of this "We got lazy" thing. Ok, so we got lazy against Carolina and were able to use that to trample the Giants. We got lazy against the Bucs but had an incredible first half against Seattle. We got lazy against the Seahawks, so we'll .... what, have a great first quarter against the 9er's?!?

It's the PLAY-OFFS, Falcons. No time left to be lazy, because there's no time left to make up for it!

I'm getting a little sick of this "We got lazy" thing. Ok, so we got lazy against Carolina and were able to use that to trample the Giants. We got lazy against the Bucs but had an incredible first half against Seattle. We got lazy against the Seahawks, so we'll .... what, have a great first quarter against the 9er's?!?

It's the PLAY-OFFS, Falcons. No time left to be lazy, because there's no time left to make up for it!

I have to agree with BCEagleATLFalcon's comments.

Totally disagree with the aggressive play-calling the writer praises.

After the int I thought ATL got too pass happy and really couldn't understand the reverse call, it didn't do the Falcon's "D" any favors.

This falls on Mike Smith. Period.

this isnt high school or college where its a coaches job to keep the spirits high. he isnt hired to be a cheerleader. this falls on 50 something 20-40 year old men who are rich from playing the game. If they get lazy-its on them.

coaches in the NFL arent hype guys-the ones that try are back in college the next year.

It is obvious to any fan that there are times when we relax (get lazy). From here on out I'm sure we won't see it because I have faith in Smitty. He most certainly has pointed this out to the players I hope, in not such a suttle way. Think about it. Anytime we allowed points it was because of some laziness on someone part.

this isnt high school or college where its a coaches job to keep the spirits high. he isnt hired to be a cheerleader. this falls on 50 something 20-40 year old men who are rich from playing the game. If they get lazy-its on them.

coaches in the NFL arent hype guys-the ones that try are back in college the next year.

Like (didn't we have a button for that?)

I don't think Smith's job is to sit on the sideline pumping his guys up. They got comfy with their lead (esp the defensive side of things) and let the lead slip, but when the lights were the brightest, they still came out with a victory.

Have to disagree a little. The coach has to recognize some sluffing and crack the whip, keep spirits high or cheerlead if necessary. This is exactly what goes on in the locker before games and at half times.

Pretty much THIS ^^^^

So, if we lose that game against Seattle, who stands the best chance of losing their job?

Mike Smith.

But apparently according to some posters here, it's not part of Mike Smith's job to keep "Getting Lazy" from happening? Really?

Wow.

Have to disagree a little. The coach has to recognize some sluffing and crack the whip, keep spirits high or cheerlead if necessary. This is exactly what goes on in the locker before games and at half times.

thank you.

Yeah this is crazy talk.

1) the problem on D in the 2nd half wasn't anyone getting "lazy." it's simply that Nolan's gameplan focused on shutting down the SEA running game and forcing them to throw against a zone D that was never getting great pressure. SEA adjusted and started relying on Wilson to throw more. When he was able to sit back in the pocket for 5-7 seconds, the zone ATL was playing broke down and he found open receivers (other than Miller, who was open anytime he was in the game, lol). Other than Babineaux's sack at the end of the 1st half, the Falcons were not really getting pressure then either. The difference was Seattle was so focused on trying to establish Lynch, they were essentially wasting plays. Nolan's going to do the same thing this weekend - make the QB win the game with his arm. Many of us don't think Kaepernick is the passing QB Wilson is. we'll find out.

2) on Offense, there was definitely a letdown of sorts, but also just some bad playcalling. ATL was able to run out of power sets, off-tackle most of the game. The reverse to Julio was not only unnecessarily 'fancy', it didn't really make sense vs SEA. Misdirection works best against a D that is over-pursuing, but the Seahawks weren't really doing that. When ATL overloaded one side of the line or had Cox in the game, they were just getting more blockers in space than SEA had defenders. Ryan's big mistake was the 2nd INT - regardless of whether there was uncalled PI, the context of the game dictated clock control, not yardage gained. Made more sense to make shorter passes (higher risk of completion) and runs.

I respect Roddy or Julio but I'm really getting tired of the words being used when something goes:

We got Bored or got Lazy. C'mon man.

How do you get lazy in one of the BIGGEST GAME in the Falcons history (esp when the whole nation dis-respected you)

They're using the wrong term, it's not LAZY, it's complacent. This team isn't used to blowing people out, when they get up by 20+ they get COMPLACENT and do everything they can to manage the game until the end. There's no single person that's at fault for this behavior/attitude it starts with the Management/Coaching and goes all the way down to the fans. It's a mental shift we all need to get used to, the Falcons are GREAT now, not good, not "alright" but GREAT. You have to start acting that way to believe it, the Pats are the prime example of how a GREAT team that isn't complacent should act.

What is this A Christmas Story? I triple dog dare you to prove how Mike Smith has no responsibility or accountability if it is true that they got "Lazy."

It doesn't fall on the head coach alone when a team is complacent. Not on a professional sports team. It's easy to point a finger at one person when it's the collective that's at fault.

It doesn't fall on the head coach alone when a team is complacent. Not on a professional sports team. It's easy to point a finger at one person when it's the collective that's at fault.

Look man, I run the place I work at and 50+ people report to me, but I have a boss. If we score poorly on an audit, you think he is going to each and every person that is responsible? No, he's coming to ME and MY azz is on the line. I am sure Arthur Blank handles things the same way.

That sir, is what we call "Smitty Ball." Thanks for proving my point...

It didn't prove anything, but if you feel better, great. The does not fall on Smith alone. "Smittyball" is a term that was made up around here. Just like DA FUTURE. Many great teams go through this growing pain. It has nothing to do with a STYLE, it's a step in growing up as a team. I know this personally because I went through it in college we went from 5-5 to playing for a National Title two years in a row. That second year in my 4 year career with the COMPLACENT year, you're just not used to winning on a certain level.

The problem is many that post here, like yourself haven't played sports at a very high level so you don't understand the complexity of team sports and what players/coaches go through on that higher level. Period.