After Watching The 49Ers/packers Game Again...

twright21

I really feel better about what our team should be able do vs the 49ers. Watching the replay...

1. Kaepernick is a wonderful athlete, but you could tell on passing situations, he was eyeballing Crabtree all the way on many plays. It looks like he'd have one read, then a checkdown, and then it was time to run. I never really saw him go from one side of the field to the other making reads, either. (The long pass to Davis was a designed pump/look-off to the left before coming back to Davis, not a natural progression read) It often appeared to be a half-field read. They ran a couple of underneath throws where that was where he was going the whole time. It was about clearing out to make space for Crabtree and even illegally blocking downfield on one of them. He throws a nice ball on the back shoulder throw, though. He had a couple of nice ones to Crabtree. The best throw was the one to Davis down the seam. He gave enough air on that one. The other passes looked very flat (ala early years Vick, even if the 9er fans hate even seeing Kaepernick's name in the same sentence as Ookie). He's got a cannon for sure, but he's still young.

2. The Packers were horrible against the read option plays as far as staying disciplined. You can chalk that up to a bit of unfamiliarity with it, maybe being caught a bit off-guard, an inability or unwillingness to adjust their gameplan, and some nice wrinkles by the 9ers. They'd bring the fullback across the formation to essentially lead block in case Kap kept it. It provided a nice kickout. On several plays, the Packers did a nice job with it, but on a couple of them, they just blew it.

3. If you blitz, you've got to clog lanes. The Packers were not good when they blitzed. The yards that really killed them were the scramble runs. The long run is the one that got the publicity, but it was the scrambles that were the game changers. I still can't believe they would not adjust when they saw what was going on.

4. The Packers were having success running the ball, but they got away from it in a bad way. Tied at 24, the Packers never had a running back run the ball again. Even in the 2nd half, they didn't run it much before the game was tied. This was a HUGE mistake.

5. Rodgers had time to throw. Their rush wasn't overpowering Saturday, and I like our line better than the Packers' line. I'm sure they'll have some things for us, but the Packers held their own up front.

As for Sunday...

1. Our defensive tackles have to come up big and clog the middle with Gore. I'm sure we'll see the read option plays, and they're the key. They allow our linebackers and ends to contain.

2. We'll play predominantly zone defense. This is where we can really make Kaepernick have to play quarterback. We have to be well disguised pre-snap, change up late (he didn't seem to be forced to make adjustments), and throw some things at him that he hasn't seen. The downside to this is the possibility of getting beat deep if we're not keeping two guys back and/or get a bit too fancy.

2B. If we're in zone, we must tackle well in the secondary. Crabtree is great after the catch. We've got to limit the YAC.

3. On offense, we need to work the run game. We did a great job of it last week. With the Smiths a bit injured, I'd like to see us run it right at them and stick with it. It's about attempts with positive yards, not necessarily huge numbers. Why the Packers stopped, I'll never know other than knowing the Packers are going to do what they do. That's a bit of their MO. Andy Reid thinks they should have ran it more. [/sarcasm]

4. Rodgers had time to throw. They didn't seem to blitz much, but when they did, they like the A gap blitzes. If they come, we need to make them pay for it.

This game will be about the big plays. Who will make more? They beat Green Bay with the big plays on the ground with Kap and a couple through the air. If we can make them earn it down the field and get a couple of big plays with our guys (we have a real advantage with our outside guys given time to throw), I really like our chances. I think Nolan will have a great gameplan. Can our guys stay disciplined enough for 4 QUARTERS in order to execute it? Last week we managed about 2.5 quarters of it (Abraham leaving didn't help), but we can't afford to play less than 4 quarters this week. We shall seel

Good post. Green Bays insistence not to change what they were doing was ridiculous on defense. I also think if they had stayed with the run on offense it would of looked differently as well.

If GB can run it on them then there is no real reason we cannot. I think Quizz / Turner > GBs RBs.

Sunday needs to hurry up.

I was cussing at the tv the aecond half of the seattle game wondering why we were continuing to leave there te wide open. But i calmed down once i realized it was bad depth by the lbs and safetys. If we get our depth worked out we should be fine. Take crabtree out of the game and force him to go to moss or checkdown. Which he probably wont. He will just take off keep contain on him and force him to beat us from the pocket.. everyone and there momma knows to beat ryan u gotta get pressure up the middle. We stop that we will be in good shape.

As long as we maintain positioning and don't overpursue, we should be okay against Kaepernick. The problem with him is when they run their routes to one side of the field, the defensive backfield clears out, and there is a gap in the line. Once he's past the line in those situations, he's as good as gone. To be honest with you, that's a great strategy because if you leave on ILB on him, his chances one-on-one are great. We have to be disciplined this week like no other. The good thing is, if (when) we beat the Niners, then we're good enough to beat whoever is next.

I'm watching this game right now on dvr and I've seen 1 throw beyond 30 yds by prick.

First off our zone will contain prick and keep him in the pocket.

Second we've seen the gimmick option like 5 times already. We will be fine if as you say our dt's clog the middle.

Third I promise you they will not blitz us often. They will keep roddy and Julio in front of them and force check downs.

We must have the same success rushing in order to get them to commit more to the run. There is no way they key on turner until forced to do so. That will win this game - committing to Michael turner and if our line wins their 1 on 1 matchup. Unfortunately that is a pretty dam big if.

I predict a close game which is good for us. Not sure we win but we have a great chance and I actually like the matchup better than Seattle.

Yeah, that GB game was very different than their other games with Kaepernick starting. In his 7 regular season starts, they ran the read-option 26 times total. Against GB, they ran it 16 times in the game (likely due to the fact that GB saw the read-option fewer times than any other team in the NFL during the regular season). More than anything else, as far as dealing with SF's offense, is how Nolan's game-plan will match up with whatever Harbaugh/Roman's game-plan is this week.

I'm watching this game right now on dvr and I've seen 1 throw beyond 30 yds by prick.

First off our zone will contain prick and keep him in the pocket.

Second we've seen the gimmick option like 5 times already. We will be fine if as you say our dt's clog the middle.

Third I promise you they will not blitz us often. They will keep roddy and Julio in front of them and force check downs.

We must have the same success rushing in order to get them to commit more to the run. There is no way they key on turner until forced to do so. That will win this game - committing to Michael turner and if our line wins their 1 on 1 matchup. Unfortunately that is a pretty dam big if.

I predict a close game which is good for us. Not sure we win but we have a great chance and I actually like the matchup better than Seattle.

Yep, very different than a normal game-plan. Kaepernick leads the league in completion percentage on throws of 20+ yards, so I expect that will be something to deal with on Sunday.

Good post. Green Bays insistence not to change what they were doing was ridiculous on defense. I also think if they had stayed with the run on offense it would of looked differently as well.

If GB can run it on them then there is no real reason we cannot. I think Quizz / Turner > GBs RBs.

Sunday needs to hurry up.

Green Bay has four WRs that are play makers and they all have been on the same team long enough to know their routes/playbook like the back of their hands. SF had to play off a bit to contain the pass attack. That attributed to some gains on the ground. As for not hitting or sacking Rogers, the guy has a quick release but we did force enough pressure to make him throw the ball earlier than he wanted to and that lead to some positive plays for our defence.

The second half we shut them down to 10 points the entire second half and 7 of those points came in a garbage time TD.

Just read the first one. Glad someone else noticed that. Kaepernick is a first read QB right now just like Robert Griffin was the same way. We can manage that, the only problem is when his 1st read is wide open from us respecting the option. We can definitely create a few turnovers on this kid though, Asante is going to be watching his eyeballs.

If you are correct about #5...and I'm starting to believe it as well....the Falcons have an excellent chance of doing well offensively against those people. White and Julio against there corners is a big mismatch. There safetys are not bad...but they will have to help or there corners will be toast. That will then set the run game up even more.

I expect the 9ers to flip the script and try power football first. They may run it from the pistol, but I think they'll want to test our run d first. The issue with Kap will be limiting the scrambles. You do that by playing zone and hoping the rush can get home. The issue with that was exposed by Wilson in the second half. The zone breaks down as it is stretched. It's stretched by time. What we do pre snap will be crucial. We've got to give a look so that he gets his read in his mind and then switch it post snap. He wants to go to Crabtree first and foremost. How do you make a young qb uncomfortable? You take away his first read or limit it at the least.

If we can slow the run early and get them off schedule, it will allow Nolan flexibility. If we are mauled early in the run game, it could be a long day.

Win on first down and limit big plays. Gotta do these things on D.

The Packers have one of the worst o lines in the league this year and their offense did get the job done, for the most part. Their defense and that horrible game plan was their undoing.

Hopefully we can handle their dline and hopefully we prepare some screens, draws, and can get the run game going early to help.

If Ryan has time to throw the ball, its hard to image us losing this game. Our defense should be able to do a better job than the Packers'. Capers should be embarrassed by the way he ran that defense.. it was one of the worst defensive game plans i have ever seen.

I really feel better about what our team should be able do vs the 49ers. Watching the replay...

1. Kaepernick is a wonderful athlete, but you could tell on passing situations, he was eyeballing Crabtree all the way on many plays. It looks like he'd have one read, then a checkdown, and then it was time to run. I never really saw him go from one side of the field to the other making reads, either. (The long pass to Davis was a designed pump/look-off to the left before coming back to Davis, not a natural progression read) It often appeared to be a half-field read. They ran a couple of underneath throws where that was where he was going the whole time. It was about clearing out to make space for Crabtree and even illegally blocking downfield on one of them. He throws a nice ball on the back shoulder throw, though. He had a couple of nice ones to Crabtree. The best throw was the one to Davis down the seam. He gave enough air on that one. The other passes looked very flat (ala early years Vick, even if the 9er fans hate even seeing Kaepernick's name in the same sentence as Ookie). He's got a cannon for sure, but he's still young.

2. The Packers were horrible against the read option plays as far as staying disciplined. You can chalk that up to a bit of unfamiliarity with it, maybe being caught a bit off-guard, an inability or unwillingness to adjust their gameplan, and some nice wrinkles by the 9ers. They'd bring the fullback across the formation to essentially lead block in case Kap kept it. It provided a nice kickout. On several plays, the Packers did a nice job with it, but on a couple of them, they just blew it.

3. If you blitz, you've got to clog lanes. The Packers were not good when they blitzed. The yards that really killed them were the scramble runs. The long run is the one that got the publicity, but it was the scrambles that were the game changers. I still can't believe they would not adjust when they saw what was going on.

4. The Packers were having success running the ball, but they got away from it in a bad way. Tied at 24, the Packers never had a running back run the ball again. Even in the 2nd half, they didn't run it much before the game was tied. This was a HUGE mistake.

5. Rodgers had time to throw. Their rush wasn't overpowering Saturday, and I like our line better than the Packers' line. I'm sure they'll have some things for us, but the Packers held their own up front.

As for Sunday...

1. Our defensive tackles have to come up big and clog the middle with Gore. I'm sure we'll see the read option plays, and they're the key. They allow our linebackers and ends to contain.

2. We'll play predominantly zone defense. This is where we can really make Kaepernick have to play quarterback. We have to be well disguised pre-snap, change up late (he didn't seem to be forced to make adjustments), and throw some things at him that he hasn't seen. The downside to this is the possibility of getting beat deep if we're not keeping two guys back and/or get a bit too fancy.

2B. If we're in zone, we must tackle well in the secondary. Crabtree is great after the catch. We've got to limit the YAC.

3. On offense, we need to work the run game. We did a great job of it last week. With the Smiths a bit injured, I'd like to see us run it right at them and stick with it. It's about attempts with positive yards, not necessarily huge numbers. Why the Packers stopped, I'll never know other than knowing the Packers are going to do what they do. That's a bit of their MO. Andy Reid thinks they should have ran it more. [/sarcasm]

4. Rodgers had time to throw. They didn't seem to blitz much, but when they did, they like the A gap blitzes. If they come, we need to make them pay for it.

This game will be about the big plays. Who will make more? They beat Green Bay with the big plays on the ground with Kap and a couple through the air. If we can make them earn it down the field and get a couple of big plays with our guys (we have a real advantage with our outside guys given time to throw), I really like our chances. I think Nolan will have a great gameplan. Can our guys stay disciplined enough for 4 QUARTERS in order to execute it? Last week we managed about 2.5 quarters of it (Abraham leaving didn't help), but we can't afford to play less than 4 quarters this week. We shall seel

Regarding the long pass to Davis, against Arizona they ran the exact same routes out of the exact same formation, but the pass went to the left side of the field to Crabtree deep.

Against New England, they also ran the exact same routes out of the exact same formation, but the pass went to Delanie Walker (Walker this time was the outside TE) on the outside to the right (after he looked left), with Vernon Davis drawing the corner who was covering a third of the field.

So basically, as a 49er fan who has watched every niner game at least twice, most of the time three times, who has seen the exact same play twice in the last few weeks, I would argue that the pump fake was spontaneous because the Packers covered up the primary read (Crabtree). Seems as though they've done this before and the ball went elsewhere.

EDIT- in fact, you can see that Kaep wanted to go to Crabtree, and the defender sat on him, and CLEARLY disrupted his route right when Kaep had ended his drop. He then pump faked to Crabtree. This strongly suggests to me that the primary read was Crabtree.

Edited by BleedRedAndGold

Regarding the long pass to Davis, against Arizona they ran the exact same routes out of the exact same formation, but the pass went to the left side of the field to Crabtree deep.

Against New England, they also ran the exact same routes out of the exact same formation, but the pass went to Delanie Walker (Walker this time was the outside TE) on the outside to the right (after he looked left), with Vernon Davis drawing the corner who was covering a third of the field.

So basically, as a 49er fan who has watched every niner game at least twice, most of the time three times, who has seen the exact same play twice in the last few weeks, I would argue that the pump fake was spontaneous because the Packers covered up the primary read (Crabtree). Seems as though they've done this before and the ball went elsewhere.

EDIT- in fact, you can see that Kaep wanted to go to Crabtree, and the defender sat on him, and CLEARLY disrupted his route right when Kaep had ended his drop. He then pump faked to Crabtree. This strongly suggests to me that the primary read was Crabtree.

No doubt the guy was on him. You can see it. But I would argue that just like several of our plays last week, they are set up by what you put on film. We had quite a few like that, as I'm sure you did. Even if it was spontaneous, which it may have been, it was a set two read look, and it would be one example of moving a progression across the field. Granted, I haven't watched and/or rewatched all of his games, but I just found it interesting how they gameplanned and executed last week. I expect to see some of that this week, especially conceptually, whether the plays are the same or not. I also expect to see more direct power football.

Should be an interesting chess match regardless.

I say that if our O-line dominates like they did 1st half vs Sea, we win this going away. We play the read option very well, our DE's/OLB's are very disciplined, Kaeps carries will have to come scrambling. My biggest concern coming off last weekend was the amount of space that WR's had to operate after catching the football, we need to have guys closer to break up balls and limit yac. Kaep, dispite his recent crowning as best player ever, he's been a bit inconsistent this year. We can't let him beat us with his legs.

I can't help but think back to 2004 when we played Philly. Vick had zero run lanes and was limited in his ability to run. If we take the same squeeze approach to the pocket and force the throw, we'll do fine.

But we have to click on offense to the tune of 34 points. Force them to stop trying to run it

White and Julio against there corners is a big mismatch. There safetys are not bad...but they will have to help or there corners will be toast. That will then set the run game up even more.

Against most teams, this is the case. However, the 49ers don't take their ILBs off the field, even in the nickel defense. That's because Willis and Bowman, the two best ILBs in the league, can defend the pass and are dominant against the run. The only times our safeties make the tackle on running plays are when they are playing closer to the line.

The Packers have one of the worst o lines in the league this year and their offense did get the job done, for the most part.

Their offense only scored 24 points, including 7 off a garbage time TD set-up by a bogus PI call that should've been an interception. Take out that, and they only scored 17 points, and only 3 in the 2nd half. They clearly did not get the jobe done.

Edited by QuestFor6

If you are correct about #5...and I'm starting to believe it as well....the Falcons have an excellent chance of doing well offensively against those people. White and Julio against there corners is a big mismatch. There safetys are not bad...but they will have to help or there corners will be toast. That will then set the run game up even more.

The Niners safeties are not bad, what an understatement. Both safeties are in the probowl. I agree the Falcons have the best receivers in the game, but not the greatest passing attack, the match up favor the Atlanta Falcons greatly, but I predict our safeties plan on punshing your receivers and that imtimidation will make a difference.

I say that if our O-line dominates like they did 1st half vs Sea, we win this going away. We play the read option very well, our DE's/OLB's are very disciplined, Kaeps carries will have to come scrambling. My biggest concern coming off last weekend was the amount of space that WR's had to operate after catching the football, we need to have guys closer to break up balls and limit yac. Kaep, dispite his recent crowning as best player ever, he's been a bit inconsistent this year. We can't let him beat us with his legs.

The Niners physical online should concern you as well.